Kingsley's FAQ & Frame Strip & Paint Options

Old June 3rd 04, 07:15 AM
Resound

Default Kingsley's FAQ & Frame Strip & Paint Options

Bikesoiler wrote:
I would recomend bead blasting over sandblasting. Not sure about threads
but am sure I'd only give any frame of mine to someone who has done bike
frames &/or thin tubes before.

Yeppers, I've heard that blasting can work harden steel. There ar
places that use plant materials like walnut or coconut husk that's mean
to work well and not harden the metal. Blasting it definitely th
easiest, most thorough way to take paint off though. Come down t
priorities, I suppose

-

Old June 3rd 04, 09:04 AM
Dej

"hippy" wrote in message
I want to strip and paint a CHEAP frame. There were links to frame
painting info in the FAQ but it seems to be down/gone?

I don't want to do a Suzy and buy a heap of gear to paint it so it looks
like my options a

1) Sand it down with sandpaper (god no!) and paint it myself (aerosol
can spraypaint).

2) Pay someone to blast it and paint it myself.

3) Pay someone to blast it and pay someone to powdercoat it

4) Pay someone to blast it and pay someone to paint it

I think these are in order of escalating cost.

Does anyone know what this sort of work will cost retail in Melbourne?

Should I stick with paint or give powdercoating a go?

The frame is old and heavy but could be made to look really nice with a
pro paint job and really BAD with a hippy paint job

My mate said I should try and get a car resprayer to paint it using
leftover paint from a car??

Kingsley - Are you still hosting the aus.bicycle FAQ?

Thanks for any suggestions! hippy

sorry if my answer has already been posted...
beasley cycles do respray's for about $90 i think? (single colour)
it's been the same price since i was 16..dunno what the quality is like

Old June 3rd 04, 12:15 PM
kingsley

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 01:44:56 +0000, hippy wrote:

Kingsley - Are you still hosting the aus.bicycle FAQ?

Yes, but...

Those wonderfully competant people at dart internet
have deemed another change to my 'static' IP address
necessary.

So I'm changing ISPs to one that offers at least some
small quality of service[1]. When I get home tonight
(If I remember) I'll post an URL with the IP address
that should change next week or so when the next
ADSL provider address comes online. At that time I'll
reset the DNS info so 'maddogsbreakfast.com' resolves.
(I'm on the train right now, so can't give it this second).

-kt

[1] The third IP address change is just the final straw
in a long string of problems.
Old June 3rd 04, 12:15 PM
kingsley

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 01:44:56 +0000, hippy wrote:

I don't want to do a Suzy and buy a heap of gear to paint it so it looks
like my options a

5) Ride over to Suzy's house and beg

Of course the ride up from Vic. might take you a few days.

Old June 3rd 04, 12:15 PM
kingsley

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 13:45:01 +0000, hippy wrote:

The guy said I'd need a litre to
strip a bike frame (he was guessing). Sounds like a lot of hardcore
chemicals to remove some paint!

What about a heat gun ?

Make sure you do it an well-ventilated area though,
like outside and up-wind.

I've got a nice little kids frame I rescued from
the council pickup. I was thinking of learning what to
do on this rather than jumping straight into something
more involved/expensive.

I really like this frame, it's an old steel one, but from
the times before little 12" wheeled bikes were built with
steel but with alu-frame sized tubing. The ones we
have for the kids weigh about the same as a full-size bike.

-kt
Old June 3rd 04, 12:15 PM
kingsley

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 07:45:02 +0000, hippy wrote:

What is the best way to remove cable guides and kickstand mounts from
the Apollo frame? I think the angle grinder might have to come out to
play.. I'll be careful, really I will...

Are they welded or brazed on?

(just guessing here...)
If it's brazed, I reckon the grinder will take the bulk
of it off, but the brass/silver-solder should be a bit
softer and clean-up neatly with a simple file.

I'd be worried about slipping the grinder and cutting a
gash in the frame... or digging past the braze-on into the
tubing.

-kt
Old June 3rd 04, 12:24 PM
kingsley

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 01:44:56 +0000, hippy wrote:

Kingsley - Are you still hosting the aus.bicycle FAQ?

Try this for the meantime:

http://203.142.146.227/ABFAQ/

As I said, It'll change as soon as my new provider
gets the connection churned, At which time I'll re-configure
the DNS stuff too.

sorry for the outage,
-kt

--
Kingsley Turner,
(mailto: )

Old June 3rd 04, 03:45 PM
hippy

Originally posted by Kingsley So I'm changing ISPs to one that offer
at least some small quality of service[1]. When I get home tonight (I
I remember) I'll post an URL with the IP address that should chang
next week or so when the next ADSL provider address comes online. A
that time I'll reset the DNS info so 'maddogsbreakfast.com' resolves
(I'm on the train right now, so can't give it this second)

Aren't you the 'wired' lad! :

If you want, I can mirror it on my new host (I haven't updated the DN
records for thehippy.net yet, but soon..) ?

Any time you update it, I could just grab the latest version and whac
it in a directory on penguinhost.

hipp

-

Old June 6th 04, 10:06 AM
kingsley

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 14:45:29 +0000, hippy wrote:

Originally posted by Kingsley So I'm changing ISPs to one that offers
at least some small quality of service[1]. When I get home tonight (If
I remember) I'll post an URL with the IP address that should change
next week or so when the next ADSL provider address comes online. At
that time I'll reset the DNS info so 'maddogsbreakfast.com' resolves.
(I'm on the train right now, so can't give it this second).

Aren't you the 'wired' lad!

Nah, I've just got a huge cache

-kt

Old June 7th 04, 12:15 AM
flyingdutch

Kingsley wrote:
Nah, I've just got a huge cache

Sure, youre not just glad to see us??? :

-