Most head injuries come from mountain biking and snowboarding

Old May 2nd 07, 06:59 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default Most head injuries come from mountain biking and snowboarding

Most of the head injuries come from mountain biking and snowboarding
incidents, according to a physiotherapist.

Mike

It could happen to you...
Whistler Health Centre CT Scanner Fundraiser
Friday May 11, Cut Yer Bars Crit & Biker Bingo Party/Samurai Slideshow
@ Dusty’s $15

Friends and Riders and Potential Head Injury Victims!!

I had never given much thought to the Whistler Health Centre’s lack of
a CT Scanner, I guess in the back of my mind I found it strange that a
community with so many skiing and biking related head injuries didn’t
have one, but I can’t say it ever really bothered me. Like many other
things in life, you don’t realize it’s not there until you really need
it. This past April Fools day I found myself on the receiving end of a
very cruel prank when my fork stanchions made the decision to detach
themselves from the rest of my bike. It took two long ambulance rides,
from Pemberton to Whistler and then on to North Vancouver’s Lion’s
Gate Hospital to determine that I had been dealt a skull fracture and
compression fractures in three vertebrae. I had 2 CT scans at Lion’s
Gate which showed that my brain wasn’t swelling and that operating
wouldn’t be necessary. This is critical information that needs to be
diagnosed as soon as possible and I was lucky; time was on my side. I
have to wonder, will the next person be so fortunate?

My experience has made me realize how important it is that Whistler
has its own CT Scanner. With a little time on my hands, I’ve decided
that now is the perfect opportunity for us, the cycling community, to
help the Whistler Health Centre along toward their goal of raising the
funds necessary to purchase this important piece of equipment. As of
the beginning of April the campaign was approximately $100,000 dollars
away from realizing that goal.

In collaboration with the Whistler Off-Road Cycling Association, I’d
like to tell you about two events which will be held on Friday May
11th, the proceeds from which will be going to the CT Scanner Fund.

Cut Yer Bars Crit – At 5:30 on Friday afternoon we will begin sign-in
at Whistler’s Myrtle Philip Elementary School where we will hold a fun
WORCA criterion-style race. Racing will begin at 6pm and a
WORCA membership will be required to participate.

Biker Bingo & Samurai of Singletrack Slideshow – At 8pm we’ll move
things inside to Dusty’s Creekside where Tony Horn will put on a
slideshow of the infamous Samurai of Singletrack, featuring
pictures taken by racers, spectators, and pro-photographers alike.
After the slideshow things are bound to get rowdy as we break out the
bingo cards for what promises to be a season highlight. Donations are
already rolling in and so far with only 5 games planned, the prize
packages look to be EPIC! To date we’ve received a Whistler Bikepark
Season Pass, a Spruce Lake Float Plane Drop, a Banshee Scratch Frame,
Chromag gear, SRAM gear, FunHog sweats and tees, and Dropmachine.com
tees. More prizes are coming in daily, and this is where you can help!
The bigger and better the prizes we receive, the more bingo cards and
raffle tickets we can sell and in turn, the more money we can raise
for the CT Scanner Fund!

We all love to ride in the Whistler Valley or in the bike park, and
most of us take for granted the fact that we usually ride without
incident. The truth is you never know when something could happen to
you, or someone you care about. Help us ensure that anyone getting
hurt is going to receive the best possible care they can.

Thank you for your generous support of this event, the community
support and care in this town is what makes it such a great place to
live, lets show the community what we as bikers can give back!

Best Regards, and I hope to see you out at the Fundraiser!

Todd Hellinga
604-905-8038

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old May 2nd 07, 07:28 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Puppet_Sock

On May 2, 1:59 pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:
Most of the head injuries come from mountain biking and snowboarding
incidents, according to a physiotherapist.

As usual, Mickey is full of ****.

http://secure.cihi.ca/cihiweb/en/med...06_fig1_e.html

Socks

Old May 2nd 07, 09:07 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Gonna Bust Up Exxon's Crime Ring

Default Heat wave grips parts of country

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10122108.html

Heat wave grips parts of country

ANI

New Delhi: Several parts of the country are reeling in a severe heat
wave condition as temperature soared to around 45°C in parts of
northern, western and central part of the country.

Death toll due to heat wave has already reached five, while
Meteorological Department has said that the prevailing conditions
would continue for some more days.

Gwalior, where a person has reportedly died because of heat wave,
recorded a maximum of 44.5°C, while in the other parts of Madhya
Pradesh mercury soared above 41 degree Celsius mark.

In Rajasthan's Sriganganagar temperature hovered over 45.3°C and one
death due to heat wave has been reported in the State.

In the northern Punjab and Haryana temperature was above 41 and 40°C
respectively, as Amritsar recorded 43.1°C. Karnal and Ambala mercury
breached the mark of 40°C.

Old May 3rd 07, 09:18 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On 2 May 2007 11:28:21 -0700, Puppet_Sock
wrote:

On May 2, 1:59 pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:
Most of the head injuries come from mountain biking and snowboarding
incidents, according to a physiotherapist.

As usual, Mickey is full of ****.

http://secure.cihi.ca/cihiweb/en/med...06_fig1_e.html

Socks

We are talking about in the wilds. Not too many nmotor vehicle
collisions there.... DUH!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old May 3rd 07, 09:40 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
cc

Gonna Bust Up Exxon's Crime Ring wrote:
http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10122108.html

Heat wave grips parts of country

ANI

New Delhi: Several parts of the country are reeling in a severe heat
wave condition as temperature soared to around 45°C in parts of
northern, western and central part of the country.

Death toll due to heat wave has already reached five, while
Meteorological Department has said that the prevailing conditions
would continue for some more days.

Gwalior, where a person has reportedly died because of heat wave

how does that happen? stay down!

,
recorded a maximum of 44.5°C, while in the other parts of Madhya
Pradesh mercury soared above 41 degree Celsius mark.

In Rajasthan's Sriganganagar temperature hovered over 45.3°C and one
death due to heat wave has been reported in the State.

In the northern Punjab and Haryana temperature was above 41 and 40°C
respectively, as Amritsar recorded 43.1°C. Karnal and Ambala mercury
breached the mark of 40°C.

Mountain Biking Tied to Serious Spinal Injuries: Evolution at Work! Mike Vandeman Mountain Biking 9 November 4th 06 04:42 AM
Mountain Biking Tied to Serious Spinal Injuries: Evolution at Work! Mike Vandeman Social Issues 9 November 4th 06 04:42 AM
Child head injuries Tony Raven UK 13 July 5th 05 10:49 AM
Fundamental error in "Trends in serious head injuries..." Cook andSheikh 2003Fundamental error in "Trends in serious head injuries..." Cookand Sheikh 2003 James Annan UK 12 June 13th 04 11:14 AM
Head Injuries. Am I right, or have I suffered a few too many Mark Thompson UK 5 April 27th 04 09:38 AM