Pole to Pole, Unicycling, Need Your Help

Old July 8th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Pole to Pole, Unicycling, Need Your Help

Hello everyone,
I'm Sid. I was one of the riders on the Laos Uni Tour. In Laos we
unicycled to raise money for Oxfam NZ. In the future I plan to do many
more rides and other trips for various environmental, humanitarian and
peace projects. For instance, last year I had planned to unicycle
4000km down my home country of India to raise money for Oxfam India.
But the ride didn't happen as I injured my hip during training. As I
said, I have many other projects planned in the future and hopefully
one day I will be able to fulfill my dream of skiing to the poles and
climbing mountains to raise awareness for good causes.

Recently, I came across this huge opportunity that might make my dreams
a reality. The Pole to Pole Leadership Institute was founded by Martyn
Williams, a renowned adventurer. “The Pole to Pole Leadership
Institute is an international organization that inspires, empowers, and
trains youth to take initiative and become leaders addressing the
critical issues of our time. The Pole to Pole Leadership Institute
captures the imagination of youth world-wide by undertaking epic
journeys that demonstrate how youth can overcome obstacles, become
leaders in their own right, and effect positive global change.”

In November 2006, 12 people chosen by the Institute will embark on the
first human powered journey from the South Pole to the North Pole. They
will complete the regular Antarctic expedition in reverse, from the
Pole to the coast. Then they will sail to Africa. In Africa they will
be involved with various humanitarian and environmental projects, as
they journey their way up north. Halfway through Africa they will
handover their responsibilities to another team of 12, who will
continue up into Europe and trek all the way to the North Pole. They
organised a similar journey in 2000.

I have applied to be a part of this epic journey and fulfill my dream
of skiing to the poles, making me the first from my country to do so.
Since this expedition will be involved with humanitarian and
environmental projects, this expedition is right up my alley.
Furthermore, this expedition will give me the platform to undertake
bigger projects combining adventure with a good cause- my ultimate goal
in life. And this includes one of my biggest goals- Riding my unicycle
from Delhi in India to Lahore in Pakistan to help ease tensions between
the two nuclear armed countries(that's why this thread should be in RSU
).

To get selected for the team I need the help of the unicyclist
community. I have, at this point met all the application requirements.
But I am doing more. I have setup a website :www.supportsid.com . On
the website is a "Sign guestbook/pledge" button on the top right. I
would be grateful if all of you could click on that button and pledge
your support to my application. Pledging your support is FREE and Takes
30 SECONDS. I want to show the Pole to Pole Institute that I have
support from not only my home country but from around the world. Hence,
it is imperative that they choose me. So, please sign the pledge and do
spread the word to family and friends. I have already got people from
12 countries to sign my pledge, and am looking for many more.

There also is a monetary way to support my application. Click on the
bottom of the red meter on www.supportsid.com. All proceeds go directly
to the Pole to Pole Institute and will be used in one of their
projects. You can mail me at dennelli84 (at) yahoo.com if you have any
questions.

My website contains my training journal too. So, you can see how
serious I am about my goals . My website has also been selected as
one of the top 5 by the Institute.That means they know who I am and
that makes my chances of making the selection camp in Canada really
good. Also, to raise awareness for this expedition I did a unicycle
ride in my second home, Singapore and came on the news in 5 channels in
4 languages. Ken Looi posted a thread on that ride:
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50952

Sorry, for the long post, guys. I hope all of you will sign the pledge
and help me spread the word. Furthermore, if I do get selected, I am
hoping to negotiate some deal that will allow me to take my unicycle to
the poles for the photo-op and also the expedition will be riding b*kes
through Africa...I'm thinking unicycle...Let's hope that works out
too.

http://tinyurl.com/p8y9e

Thanks,
Sid
Siddharth Rajan

--
Denali
Denali's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9085

Old July 8th 06, 06:46 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Done. Someone unicycled at the South Pole before you.

|Filename: roseman_DCE.JPG |

Klaas Bil
Klaas Bil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3442

Old July 8th 06, 10:03 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Klaas Bil wrote:
Done. Someone unicycled at the South Pole before you.

Never said I would be the first.
Photo from 1969:
http://www.southpolestation.com/trivia/igy2/bike1.jpg

Old July 8th 06, 11:40 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Done, and is it just me or has the south pole got a lot shorter from 69
to 95?

--
kington99

Dave

Old July 8th 06, 11:43 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

global warming.

and no, i don't know how it works.

--
iridemymuni

The past is in your head, the future's in our hands

~~hold bananas for christ~~
iridemymuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11900

Old July 8th 06, 01:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Hi Sid,

Talk about small world - I lived in Singapore for nine years and
during that time learnt to ride my unicycle. I was taught by none other
than your friend Ben!! He got a whole bunch of us to learn in my school
so he could get together a hockey team!!

I hope everything goes well and you fulfill your dream!

Samia

--
samia

I used to be ambidextrous but I'm alright now
samia's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12114

Old July 9th 06, 06:59 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 04:03:22 -0500, Denali wrote:

Never said I would be the first.

Sorry, with "done" I did NOT mean to say "It has been done before".
(You're planning on way more than just circle the South Pole anyway.)

I meant I pledged my support on your website.

Good find on the other photo though.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"I'm slowly but surely stealing Wales and bringing it back to my house on the wheel, frame and cranks of my muni. - phil"

Old July 11th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Denali

samia wrote:
Hi Sid,

Talk about small world - I lived in Singapore for nine years and
during that time learnt to ride my unicycle. I was taught by none other
than your friend Ben!! He got a whole bunch of us to learn in my school
so he could get together a hockey team!!

I hope everything goes well and you fulfill your dream!

Samia

No Kidding! Ben's dream of a uni hockey team in Singapore had finally
come true...Singapore's got a very competitive team now..I don't live
there anymore but last I heard he was moving to Hong Kong..A great loss
to the Singapore unicycling community...Anyways, cool..

Old July 19th 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Naomi

iridemymuni wrote:
global warming.

and no, i don't know how it works.

Global warming would work the other way round...a longer pole. Yjey
probably had a bit of bad weather one year. Maybe even snow.

Nao

--
Naomi

Convince me I am wrong about that? But *of course *you might convince
me I am wrong about that. But try an easier one first. Convince me
that 2 and 2 doesn't make 4.
Naomi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3322