Paging the FOAK

Old September 30th 08, 06:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_2_]

Default Paging the FOAK

Those little spirally spring spacer thingies that do some voodo stuff
for QR skewers. What the **** are they called before I break Google
completely with spazzed out search arguments?

And yes, I have mangled one, not the first either, so a packet of 1/2
dozen would keep me going into my dotage.
Old September 30th 08, 07:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Tosspot wrote:

Those little spirally spring spacer thingies that do some voodo stuff
for QR skewers. *What the **** are they called before I break Google
completely with spazzed out search arguments?

And yes, I have mangled one, not the first either, so a packet of 1/2
dozen would keep me going into my dotage.

Despite having worked for years in the bike business, I know them by
no better name than "QR springs".

They are not of any real use, unless you're in a real hurry to smack a
replacement wheel into place and get back into the race. But you do
need either one on each side or none.

Chalo
Old September 30th 08, 07:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 07:36:39 +0200, Tosspot
wrote:

Those little spirally spring spacer thingies that do some voodo stuff
for QR skewers. What the **** are they called before I break Google
completely with spazzed out search arguments?

And yes, I have mangled one, not the first either, so a packet of 1/2
dozen would keep me going into my dotage.

Dear TP,

They're skewer springs.

Conical quick release skewer springs, a buck each:

http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi...d=199672914629

Quick release skewer springs, $1.84 each:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.a...S&currency=USD

Campy replacement skewer springs, $9.[gulp!]88 per pair:
http://www.branfordbike.com/hub/hub02.html

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old September 30th 08, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Dave Larrington

In ,
Tosspot tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
Those little spirally spring spacer thingies that do some voodo stuff
for QR skewers. What the **** are they called before I break Google
completely with spazzed out search arguments?

They've always been known as "Jesus Springs" around here, coz when one is
dropped on the floor and succumbs to Fridge Suck[1], the only option is to
shout "Jeeeeeesus CHRIST!" and hope there's another one in the tin of
Potentially Useful Stuffs in the shed.

1 - the most powerful force in the universe

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old September 30th 08, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 08:41:48 +0100, "Dave Larrington"
said in
:

They've always been known as "Jesus Springs" around here, coz when one is
dropped on the floor and succumbs to Fridge Suck[1], the only option is to
shout "Jeeeeeesus CHRIST!" and hope there's another one in the tin of
Potentially Useful Stuffs in the shed.

We're back to ping****it clips, aren't we?

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old September 30th 08, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Rob Morley

Tosspot wrote:

Those little spirally spring spacer thingies that do some voodo stuff
for QR skewers. What the **** are they called before I break Google
completely with spazzed out search arguments?

And yes, I have mangled one, not the first either, so a packet of 1/2
dozen would keep me going into my dotage.

If you keep killing them just stop using them and save yourself some
hassle. The only thing they do is hold the QR away from the
dropouts while you're putting the wheel in, they do nothing once the QR
is fastened.

Old September 30th 08, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
M-gineering

Tosspot wrote:
Those little spirally spring spacer thingies that do some voodo stuff
for QR skewers. What the **** are they called before I break Google
completely with spazzed out search arguments?

volute spring

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl
Old September 30th 08, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Rob Morley

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 17:03:27 +0200
M-gineering wrote:

Tosspot wrote:
Those little spirally spring spacer thingies that do some voodo
stuff for QR skewers. What the **** are they called before I break
Google completely with spazzed out search arguments?

volute spring

Sticking
skewer spring
in Google shopping comes up with more relevant results.

Old September 30th 08, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
dkahn400

On 30 Sep, 15:34, Rob Morley wrote:

If you keep killing them just stop using them and save yourself some
hassle. *The only thing they do is hold the QR away from the
dropouts while you're putting the wheel in, they do nothing once the QR
is fastened.

And think of the weight you save.

--
Dave...

Paging Dr. Fogel Michael Baldwin Techniques 9 August 21st 08 09:06 PM
Paging Sheldon... JeffWills Techniques 14 September 17th 06 01:47 PM
FOAK: Advice on ow! elyob UK 37 August 2nd 06 11:57 AM
Paging Ryan Robert Chung Racing 2 June 30th 06 07:37 AM
Paging JD! Carla A-G Mountain Biking 9 July 6th 05 03:34 PM