Michelin Power Endurance Tires

Old October 26th 17, 07:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default Michelin Power Endurance Tires

On Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 10:42:59 AM UTC-7, Joerg
On 2017-10-25 10:38, Doug Landau wrote:

[...]

... As I said before yes the conti sidewalls will suffer in
the summer sun, but a little black gasket sealer will keep
that at bay until you wear it out.

I am not planning on having to correct mistakes a manufacturer
made on products that are expensive to begin with. Then I
simply walk away from the product, as I did here.

Are you kidding?!? You spend more time correcting
manufacturer's mistakes than anybody. Including mistakes that
multiple manufacturers collude upon. Hell together they either
can't or won't produce a mr tuffy that you don't say has to be
wrapped like a bageldog to work

Put one in a MTB rear tire, ride lots of rocky trails and look at
the tube after a few thousand miles. You will be unpleasantly
surprised. _Then_ voice an opinion.

I already did so 25 years ago and will not be surprised and have
already voiced my opinion. I told you here before you tried them
that mr tuffys out of the box will chafe a hole in your tube.

I didn't say you are wrong to correct manufacturer's mistakes, I said
you are wrong when you said you won't. And won't plan to. Now take
a new gatorskin, take a tube of Permatex #2 or other black automotive
gasket sealer, and a latex glove, and run a thin layer over the
sidewalls, and tell us how that worked out six months later.

So what's next? Build your won tire? There comes a limit and there is no
need to buy expensive tires with poorly design side walls. Because you
can buy tires with better side walls. Which I am now doing. With tire
liners there is no such option, with tires there is.

The fact is, I tell you again from experience, keeping Contis with their sidewall problems on the road is trivially easy and costs about a penny.

Old October 26th 17, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2017-10-25 10:38, Doug Landau wrote:

[...]

[...]

Get in touch with Doug Cimperman for the latest in custom
tire casings.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 26th 17, 11:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2017-10-26 09:56, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/26/2017 10:24 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 2:27:58 AM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 3:50:31 PM UTC-7,
wrote:
I picked up a piece of glass today and got a flat on my third ride
on this tire. I didn't get any flats on the Pro4 Endurance though
some people say that they cut easily.

The Pro4 Endurance tire rolled really easily - something that the
Power Endurance doesn't seem to do. Though that could simply be
personal opinion.

I'm selling a set of wheels and they have Specialized Armadillos on
them. They did not have more than possibly 500 miles on them and
showed a lot of wear. While looking at them one of them had a real
long cut but still no flat. These are VERY expensive tires.

But the flat I got today I'm sure I would not have gotten on a
Continental Gatorskin.

So it appears that Continental is still the uncontested king of
flat-proof tires.

That's disappointing to hear. I don't think my Pro4 Endurance are
that tough, but they are certainly more flat-proof than Pro4 Service
Course. The version II of the Pro4 Endurance supposedly had lower
rolling resistance than version I of the Service Course. The
Endurance was a pretty fast tire. You have to wonder why they fooled
with it. I don't think Gatorskins or 4Seasons have changed in ten
years. Conti has not seen a need to constantly fiddle with them,
although like Joerg said, they might want to re-think the sidewalls.

I hope not if it means increasing rolling resistance. If you don't
want flats or side wall cuts in case you hit a rock use Schwalbe
marathon plus tires and accept the weight penalty and increase in
rolling resistance instead of demanding sturdier side walls of high
performance tires.

The worry about sidewall cuts surprises me. I get them so seldom they're
not even a concern. That's despite regular brief excursions on gravel,
using Paselas, or Gatorskins, or Schwalbe Marathons, depending on the bike.

Long ago I had some sidewall bubbles (not cuts) in Continental touring
tires, but I think that's a different problem entirely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7VR3jdwZ3k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vOQQISgIjs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEUYW7LNgw4

Some of their other series seem to have side wall blows as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiPBo0hdrvA

I ride Market St. or 3rd or others with heavy train tracks. I ride over the local Alameda bridges and they are all steel gratings. I ride over the steel plates thrown over the top of excavations. And I've never had a sidewall blowout on a Gatorskin. Though I have on the less expensive tires.

I'm wondering if you over or under inflate your tires a large amount.
Old October 26th 17, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:
I picked up a piece of glass today and got a flat on my third ride
on this tire. I didn't get any flats on the Pro4 Endurance though
some people say that they cut easily.

The Pro4 Endurance tire rolled really easily - something that the
Power Endurance doesn't seem to do. Though that could simply be
personal opinion.

I'm selling a set of wheels and they have Specialized Armadillos on
them. They did not have more than possibly 500 miles on them and
showed a lot of wear. While looking at them one of them had a real
long cut but still no flat. These are VERY expensive tires.

But the flat I got today I'm sure I would not have gotten on a
Continental Gatorskin.

So it appears that Continental is still the uncontested king of
flat-proof tires.

That's disappointing to hear.Â* I don't think my Pro4 Endurance are
that tough, but they are certainly more flat-proof than Pro4 Service
Course.Â* The version II of the Pro4 Endurance supposedly had lower
rolling resistance than version I of the Service Course. The
Endurance was a pretty fast tire. You have to wonder why they fooled
with it.Â* I don't think Gatorskins or 4Seasons have changed in ten
years.Â* Conti has not seen a need to constantly fiddle with them,
although like Joerg said, they might want to re-think the sidewalls.

I hope not if it means increasing rolling resistance. If you don't
want flats or side wall cuts in case you hit a rock use Schwalbe
marathon plus tires and accept the weight penalty and increase in
rolling resistance instead of demanding sturdier side walls of high
performance tires.

The worry about sidewall cuts surprises me. I get them so seldom they're
not even a concern. That's despite regular brief excursions on gravel,
using Paselas, or Gatorskins, or Schwalbe Marathons, depending on the
bike.

Long ago I had some sidewall bubbles (not cuts) in Continental touring
tires, but I think that's a different problem entirely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7VR3jdwZ3k

Well, that stuff happens to people who use flashing headlights at night.
Bad karma!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 27th 17, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-10-25 10:38, Doug Landau wrote:

[...]

[...]

Yes, I know Doug does that but I don't want to go quite that far.
Bicycles require enough homebrew solutions as it is to make them useful
as utility vehicles. I just use other brands with better side walls. So
far their mileage is paltry but since they are proportionately cheaper
it's not as bad. I'll use those until I find something that last longer.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old October 27th 17, 12:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-10-26 09:56, Frank Krygowski wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I inflate to around 105psi and don't let them drop lower than 75psi. A
road bike tire is supposed to be able to live with that.

Old October 27th 17, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2017-10-25 10:38, Doug Landau wrote:

[...]

[...]

If you buy a pair, Doug can spread his development costs
over twice the unit volume!

Old October 27th 17, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 2017-10-25 10:38, Doug Landau wrote:

[...]

[...]

He is, in fact, the only soul here other than myself who has his head screwed on straight. Coincidence? I think not.

dkl
Old October 30th 17, 07:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 2017-10-26 09:56, Frank Krygowski wrote:
wrote:
[...]

When I started road cycling the nice guy at my LBS who was mentoring me expressed surprise that I was not yet pumping up my tires every day, and then appeared alarmed at my response, and said emphatically "Below 80 they can roll off in a corner!!!"

Old October 30th 17, 07:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-10-26 09:56, Frank Krygowski wrote:
wrote:
[...]

There you can see how much cyclists have gotten used to sub-par gear.
Can you imagine having to pump up the tires of your car every few days?

and then appeared alarmed at my response, and said emphatically
"Below 80 they can roll off in a corner!!!"

They don't. Also, ever since I switched to thick tubes it takes 6-8
weeks to drop to 75psi.