Doper admits!!

Old August 23rd 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Doper admits!!

Gatlin admits drug use

By Philip Hersh
Tribune olympic sports reporter
Published August 22, 2006, 5:04 PM CDT

Olympic 100-meter champion Justin Gatlin has admitted doping and faces
a ban that could effectively end his track and field career.

The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency announced Tuesday that Gatlin has agreed to
the validity of his positive test for testosterone and "promised to
cooperate'' in anti-doping efforts.

In exchange for that promise, USADA said it would seek a maximum
suspension of eight years and will allow Gatlin, 24, to seek a
reduction in the length of that ban.

Under international anti-doping rules, Gatlin could be banned for life
because he previously had tested positive for a banned stimulant.

Neither Gatlin nor his attorneys could be reached for comment.

Gatlin's promise to cooperate likely includes his willingness to
provide evidence against his coach, Trevor Graham, who has been the
target of anti-doping investigators the past three years.

Gatlin is one of 10 athletes to have been suspended for doping
violations that occurred while they were being coached by Graham.

"Justin Gatlin's doping case has been a setback for our sport,'' USA
Track and Field chief executive Craig Masback said in a statement
Tuesday. "While we are glad Justin has taken responsibility for his
positive test and will cooperate in USADA's anti-doping efforts, we are
sorely disappointed in him.''

Copyright © 2006, Chicago Tribune

Old August 23rd 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Keith

On 22 Aug 2006 16:09:26 -0700, wrote:

Gatlin admits drug use

By Philip Hersh
Tribune olympic sports reporter
Published August 22, 2006, 5:04 PM CDT

Olympic 100-meter champion Justin Gatlin has admitted doping and faces
a ban that could effectively end his track and field career.

The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency announced Tuesday that Gatlin has agreed to
the validity of his positive test for testosterone and "promised to
cooperate'' in anti-doping efforts.

Well hopefully Landis is next.

Old August 23rd 06, 05:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Marty

wrote in message
ps.com...
Gatlin admits drug use

I don't believe him.
--
Marty

Old August 23rd 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article
,
"Marty" wrote:

wrote in message
ps.com...
Gatlin admits drug use

I don't believe him.

I demand that he shoot up on national television.

--
Michael Press
Old August 23rd 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Dwayne wrote:
Gatlin admits drug use

By Philip Hersh
Tribune olympic sports reporter
Published August 22, 2006, 5:04 PM CDT

Olympic 100-meter champion Justin Gatlin has admitted doping and faces
a ban that could effectively end his track and field career.

The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency announced Tuesday that Gatlin has agreed to
the validity of his positive test for testosterone and "promised to
cooperate'' in anti-doping efforts.

"Cooperation" defined as admitting the use of dope, or cooperating as
in naming names (all the names) of people who supplied, advised and
enabled him?

Another one swept under the rug. Not a clean sweep, but a sweep
nonetheless.

As I read it, Gatlin's choices we (a) don't "cooperate", and be
banned for life; (b) "cooperate", and be banned only for 8 years. The
penalties are practically equivalent (like he's really gonna stage a
huge comeback 8 years from now...), so it figures that the
"cooperation" will be effectively worthless.

Actually, they are dangling the carrot of a reduced suspension if he
cooperates. That's what USADA is telling the media. Of course, they
have not elaborated on what they meant (nor should we ever expect them
to). Their big issue: that he not contest the validity of the test
(that's probably what they mean by being cooperative). With this
supposed "compromise" they are still allowing him to continue to
attempt to show that he has extenuating circumstances...So they are
essentially allowing him to continue to search for a good excuse. Not
contesting the test itself will be perceived as "cooperating", and
we'll have Gaitlin back and running again in virtually no time at all.

If you ask me, it's the USADA's way of brilliantly dodging the existing
code. They'll be able to spin it in such a manner that WADA and the
IOC won't get mad, and they'll be able to get Gaitlin back in
competition again. Unfortunately for Floyd, cycling does not mean as
much to them as track and field does.

Old August 24th 06, 01:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Dwayne

wrote:
Dwayne wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Good point. I thought of that after I posted (and wished I hadn't).
Still, something bugs me. Why would Gatlin's lawyers advise him to
admit guilt *without a firm deal in hand*? Seems like an impossibly big
gamble, unless we ratchet things up to conspiracy theory levels of
complexity (e.g. there's a secret addition to the announced deal,
selected details of which will be released at a later date, that
seriously reduces the penalty). But I agree, USADA gives athletics a
lot more leeway than cycling.

Driver admits killing cyclist Vladdus Mpale Racing 2 October 21st 05 03:13 AM
Driver admits Berry Australia 0 October 6th 05 01:31 AM
Ian Stuart Speaks of Drugs and a Certain Man B Lafferty Racing 80 February 21st 05 08:13 AM
Armstrong is a DOPER Mike Jacoubowsky General 8 January 3rd 05 06:56 PM
Origin of "Lance is a Doper" Claims? RJG Racing 28 July 16th 04 11:38 PM