Copenhagenized Cycleliciousness

Old July 19th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default Copenhagenized Cycleliciousness

Forbes B-Black wrote:
Hi All,

Many of you have seen Zakkaliciousness' photos on flickr or visited
his blogs, Copenhagen Cycle Chic, Copenhagenize, and others. But
there is more to Mikael Colville-Andersen than just photos of
fashionable women riding bicycles. He is a crusader and an evangelist
for practical bicycles.

I interviewed Mikael for Cycloculture. Details he

http://cycloculture.blogspot.com/200...ciousness.html

From the article:

"Q: What do you say to Americans who tell me that they absolutely cannot
commute by bicycle unless there is a shower available to them at work?

A: I think I just roll my eyes. There are 100 million Europeans who ride
their bike daily and they get on fine without this strange 'shower at
work' angle. It's just another ridiculous way to keep branding cycling
as sporty, sweaty and difficult, when the opposite is true."

Yeah, easy not to get too sweaty in a place with no hills and low
summertime humidity with high temperatures of 20 to 25°C. In much of the
US with high temperatures from 30 to 40°C and relative humidity in
excess of 80%, one can not even stand outside without getting soaked.

Having a shower also makes longer and faster commutes more practical,
rather than severely limiting the level of exertion to keep from getting
too nasty.

Subsidizing showers and secure bicycle parking would be a lot less
expensive than subsidizing individualized fossil fuel powered transport.

"People who had no mercy will find none." - Anon.
Old July 20th 08, 11:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc
Chalo

Tom Sherman wrote:

http://cycloculture.blogspot.com/200...-cycleliciousn...

*From the article:

"Q: What do you say to Americans who tell me that they absolutely cannot
commute by bicycle unless there is a shower available to them at work?

A: I think I just roll my eyes. There are 100 million Europeans who ride
their bike daily and they get on fine without this strange 'shower at
work' angle. It's just another ridiculous way to keep branding cycling
as sporty, sweaty and difficult, when the opposite is true."

Yeah, easy not to get too sweaty in a place with no hills and low
summertime humidity with high temperatures of 20 to 25°C. In much of the
US with high temperatures from 30 to 40°C and relative humidity in
excess of 80%, one can not even stand outside without getting soaked.

India.

Chalo
Old July 20th 08, 12:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Chalo Colina wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
http://cycloculture.blogspot.com/200...-cycleliciousn...

From the article:

"Q: What do you say to Americans who tell me that they absolutely cannot
commute by bicycle unless there is a shower available to them at work?

A: I think I just roll my eyes. There are 100 million Europeans who ride
their bike daily and they get on fine without this strange 'shower at
work' angle. It's just another ridiculous way to keep branding cycling
as sporty, sweaty and difficult, when the opposite is true."

Yeah, easy not to get too sweaty in a place with no hills and low
summertime humidity with high temperatures of 20 to 25°C. In much of the
US with high temperatures from 30 to 40°C and relative humidity in
excess of 80%, one can not even stand outside without getting soaked.

India.

You are not trying to tell us that people in India wear western style
business dress and cycle to work without getting hot and sweaty?

"People who had no mercy will find none." - Anon.
Old July 20th 08, 01:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Michael Baldwin

Chalo points out -

India.

Excellent example Chalo. And all of those soon to be empty Starbucks
could be turned into mini Karni Mata Temples. After all it's all a
matter of perspective isn't?

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

Old July 20th 08, 02:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc
jp0708

On 19 juil, 20:14, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Forbes B-Black wrote:
Hi All,

Many of you have seen Zakkaliciousness' photos on flickr or visited
his blogs, Copenhagen Cycle Chic, Copenhagenize, and others. But
there is more to Mikael Colville-Andersen than just photos of
fashionable women riding bicycles. He is a crusader and an evangelist
for practical bicycles.

I interviewed Mikael for Cycloculture. Details he

http://cycloculture.blogspot.com/200...-cycleliciousn...

From the article:

"Q: What do you say to Americans who tell me that they absolutely cannot
commute by bicycle unless there is a shower available to them at work?

A: I think I just roll my eyes. There are 100 million Europeans who ride
their bike daily

100 million ? 1 on 5 ? Sure it's not 10 million rather ?

and they get on fine without this strange 'shower at
work' angle. It's just another ridiculous way to keep branding cycling
as sporty, sweaty and difficult, when the opposite is true."

Yeah, easy not to get too sweaty in a place with no hills and low
summertime humidity with high temperatures of 20 to 25°C. In much of the
US with high temperatures from 30 to 40°C and relative humidity in
excess of 80%, one can not even stand outside without getting soaked.

Having a shower also makes longer and faster commutes more practical,
rather than severely limiting the level of exertion to keep from getting
too nasty.

Subsidizing showers and secure bicycle parking would be a lot less
expensive than subsidizing individualized fossil fuel powered transport.

"People who had no mercy will find none." - Anon.

Sholl
Old July 20th 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat[_12_]

Yeah, easy not to get too sweaty in a place with no hills and low
summertime humidity with high temperatures of 20 to 25°C. In much of the
US with high temperatures from 30 to 40°C and relative humidity in
excess of 80%, one can not even stand outside without getting soaked.

India.

Chalo

Okay, I need more explanation. Did you throw out "India" because you know it
gets hot in the summer time there or do you actually KNOW anything about
what their cycling commuters do upon arriving at work? I suspect it is the
former.

Pat in TX

Old July 20th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc
Chalo

Tom Sherman wrote:

ChaloColina wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote:

*From the article:

"Q: What do you say to Americans who tell me that they absolutely cannot
commute by bicycle unless there is a shower available to them at work?

There are 100 million Europeans who ride
their bike daily and they get on fine without this strange 'shower at
work' angle. It's just another ridiculous way to keep branding cycling
as sporty, sweaty and difficult, when the opposite is true."

Yeah, easy not to get too sweaty in a place with no hills and low
summertime humidity with high temperatures of 20 to 25°C. In much of the
US with high temperatures from 30 to 40°C and relative humidity in
excess of 80%, one can not even stand outside without getting soaked.

India.

You are not trying to tell us that people in India wear western style
business dress and cycle to work without getting hot and sweaty?

I'm not saying anything about getting hot and sweaty. That's just a
fact of life in India, or Texas, or the American Midwest in the dog
days of summer-- whether you ride bike or not. But I do suggest that
there are far more Indians who ride to work in business dress than
Americans who do the same, even if their climate is hotter and their
offices don't provide showers. It can be done.

Chalo
Old July 20th 08, 09:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Chalo writes:

You are not trying to tell us that people in India wear western style
business dress and cycle to work without getting hot and sweaty?

I'm not saying anything about getting hot and sweaty. That's just a
fact of life in India, or Texas, or the American Midwest in the dog
days of summer-- whether you ride bike or not. But I do suggest that
there are far more Indians who ride to work in business dress than
Americans who do the same, even if their climate is hotter and their
offices don't provide showers. It can be done.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

People give up before they even start, too readily.

"It can be done" would make a pretty good motto.
I like that. I like it a lot. Now I just need
Ryan Cousineau to translate it into Latin, and I
just might adopt/adapt it, with your permission
of course. Maybe have it printed on a T-shirt
and wear it at work. Maybe have it printed on
the front of a T-shirt, while having the dictionary
definition of "perfunctory" printed on the back.

cheers, & nothing is safe from me,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old July 21st 08, 08:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Chalo

Pat wrote:

Yeah, easy not to get too sweaty in a place with no hills and low
summertime humidity with high temperatures of 20 to 25°C. In much of the
US with high temperatures from 30 to 40°C and relative humidity in
excess of 80%, one can not even stand outside without getting soaked.

India.

Okay, I need more explanation. Did you throw out "India" because you know it
gets hot in the summer time there or do you actually KNOW anything about
what their cycling commuters do upon arriving at work? *I suspect it is the
former.

Not every Texan is a provincial ignoramus. You are free to uphold
that tradition if it suits you, of course.

I am more familiar with India than the average American; my wife has
lived in Kerala and goes there for months at a time when she can get
away for that long.

There are more people who cycle to work in India than there are people
who cycle _anywhere_ in the United States. And they are less likely
to have washing facilities available at work than Americans are (in
India, a "shower" often means dousing yourself from a bucket with a
dipper) despite being generally more fanatical about their personal
cleanliness.

Chalo
Old July 21st 08, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat[_12_]

India.

Okay, I need more explanation. Did you throw out "India" because you know
it
gets hot in the summer time there or do you actually KNOW anything about
what their cycling commuters do upon arriving at work? I suspect it is the
former.

Not every Texan is a provincial ignoramus. You are free to uphold
that tradition if it suits you, of course.

OH, that's just choice! I ask you politely to explain and you whip right
into character assassination. What a guy!

I am more familiar with India than the average American; my wife has
lived in Kerala and goes there for months at a time when she can get
away for that long.

And I am supposed to know this, how, exactly? Oh yeah, while I was being a
"provincial ignoramus" and you were being a ....what? Starts with A..H... I
believe. You fit the description.

Pat in TX