Seatpost shims

Old August 13th 08, 03:49 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Dre[_3_]

Default Seatpost shims

Hi, I have a 2006 Norco Torrent mtb frame that I'm building up into a bike
atm. The problem I'm having is it takes a 30.0mm seatpost. They aren't the
easiest to find. I'd really like to use a Truvativ team double clamp post
(which according to Sram/Truvativ webpage they make in 30.0mm size) but they
seem to be made of unobtainium as no one stocks or can get one in.

I've now since found out you can get seatpost shims such as the one in this
link:
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Seatpost.aspx

If I were to use that, I can then use a 27.2mm seatpost which is exactly the
same size as the one on my DH bike and it would be great if I could swap
posts (not that I would ever need to, but its kinda handy to be able to).

Has anyone ever used a seatpost shim? Are they bad in that they can seize
in there or whatever or pull out or something equally as strange?

I just want to know if they are basically frowned apon due to some (unknown
to me) reason.

Failing all that I'll probably just get a Thompson...

Thanks!

Cheers Dre

Old August 13th 08, 05:35 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
wizardB

Dre wrote:
[...]

Buy a new seatpost they're cheap
Old August 13th 08, 06:30 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Dre[_3_]

"wizardB" wrote in message
Dre wrote:
[...]

Ummm, did you actually read what I wrote? I'm *going* to buy a new
seatpost, but I cant get the one I want in the size I need.

I need to know if I can get away with just using a shim which means I can
get a Truvativ team post in 27.2mm that fits my 30.0mm seat tube.

Thanks for that pearler of wisdom!

Cheers Dre

Old August 13th 08, 02:10 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
wizardB

Dre wrote:
[...]

I have used shims in the past didn't preform well (seemed to always fell
loose useless the QR was almost hammered shut)that why I said buy one
they're cheap.There are lots of very good seat post out there.
I wasn't being a smart ass was giving quick opinion in the few seconds I
had at the time.
Old August 14th 08, 12:43 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Dre[_3_]

"wizardB" wrote in message
Dre wrote:
[...]

No problems, thanks for the info! There aren't lots of seatposts out there
in the size that I want, thats my problem. Either way, I'm starting to sway
against using a shim, basically because I'm not happy with the length of it,
its not going to be as long as the length of seatpost stuck in the frame.
Plus the frame is aluminium and the seat tube is on quite a relaxed angle so
I dont want to push it...

Thompson Elite it is!

Cheers Dre

Old August 14th 08, 05:42 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
wizardB

Dre wrote:
[...]

On that note I do love my Thompsons
Old August 14th 08, 06:40 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Dre[_3_]

"wizardB" wrote in message
Dre wrote:
[...]

LOL, well I'm sure I will love my Thompson too (not going to use a shim),
I'll be getting the Elite black version and I reckon it'll look sweet stuck
in the black frame its going in!

Cheers Dre

Old August 14th 08, 04:45 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
MattB

Dre wrote:
[...]

Good choice. There's no p in Thomson, by the way.

Matt
Old August 15th 08, 01:07 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Dre[_3_]

"MattB" wrote in message
Dre wrote:
[...]

Ooops, ta!

Cheers Dre

Seatpost shims Dre[_3_] Techniques 15 August 14th 08 03:41 AM
Litespeed Arenberg Headset Shims [email protected] Techniques 0 December 2nd 07 06:54 AM
Will an 06 KH20 fit on a Torker DX hub with shims? Borgschulze Unicycling 12 November 27th 07 08:10 AM
Road bar to mtn bar shim 22.2/26mm two half shims ddog Techniques 4 January 8th 07 02:17 PM