Newbie Questions...

Old July 12th 03, 01:02 AM
John Wordsworth

Default Newbie Questions...

Sorry if any of these seem idiotic, but I have just purchased a new bike and
would like to ask a couple of questions...

1./ How much 'side to side' movement would you consider on a wheel for it
to be untrue enough to return the bike and get new rims? After checking the
bike, I think that there is 1 (possibly 2)mm or so variation in the side of
the rim. Is this considered ok?

2./ For future reference - how much does the process of 'truing' cost?

3./ With the wheels being slightly untrue - how much gap should I leave
between the rim and the brake pads? As little as possible?

Again, apologies if these seem annoying - I just like to check my new stuff
while I still have the chance to do something about it .

Cheers,
--John

Old July 12th 03, 11:21 AM
Michael Dart

"John Wordsworth" wrote in message
Thank you both to your answers - they're just what I needed.

Now, I just have to figure out what I should adjust the rear suspension to
(which they kindly forgot to even mention the existance of in the

'generic'
manual) and I'll be ready to go - yay!

Thanks again!

What bike and shock?

Mike

Old July 12th 03, 03:52 PM
iddqdATworldonline.dk

Michael Dart wrote:
Now, I just have to figure out what I should adjust the rear suspension to
(which they kindly forgot to even mention the existance of in the

Preload it so you got about 20% sack (That it the shocks compreses about
20% when you sit on the bike - eventually get someone to measure while
you sit on it). If you are a heavy or a very light rider and the shock
is equiped with a spring you may need another spring but hold on that
till you have ridden some and gotten a feel for it. Note don't EVER
thingten springs to much - just what yopu can do with your hands an
overtighten spring that is compressed further when riding can virtualy
explode!

As for rebound it's a matter of taste but for starters go with something
like this. Stand next to your bike and compress the rear end by leaning
on the saddel, when releasing it should pop up slightly slower than just
doing it freely.

Kind regards

Bruno

San Diego area commuting questions Noel Llopis General 2 May 12th 04 03:47 AM
Last few newbie questions... (coaster, drum, S-RAM/Nexus, etc...) Lobo Tommy General 5 April 23rd 04 02:42 AM
Newbie questions Adam Bender General 3 August 28th 03 07:29 AM
New Guy Questions Dell Phinus General 6 August 25th 03 04:18 PM
Thread-on freewheel questions Ryan Cousineau General 3 July 23rd 03 08:16 PM