Mavic 618's: CD vs ??

Old April 4th 05, 01:41 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

Default Mavic 618's: CD vs ??

Got a Mavic 618 couple years back when I toasted a 517. Seems tb holding up
ok.

Now my other 517 wheel is on the way to wheel heaven - with the little
cracks/bulges around each nipple having grown noticibly over the last months.

Had another brand/model rim put on my singlespeed wheel and it's such bear to
change a tire, I don't even know if it's doable in the field.

My conclusion is each rim/tire combination is something of an unknown until
somebody tries to change a flat.

Accordingly I'm leaning towards another 618 just because I know it will work for
me. It's not like I'm in love with it or anything - just that it's a sure
thing.

But when I Googled and found them at Performance, there's a distinction between
"X 618 CD" and "X 618". I *think* mine says "X618", but it's kind of beat up
and not all that legible.

Anybody know the diff?
--
PeteCresswell
Old April 4th 05, 01:47 AM
strawberry

"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote in message
[...]

i could be wrong, but as no one else has posted i offer a theory, i think cd
is the ceramic version, ie one is silver, one has a ceramic plating. not a
lot of difference in the wheel, but better brakeing, and looks better for
me.

Old April 4th 05, 03:31 PM
Shaun aRe

"Slack" wrote in message
(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
[...]

Yup - iss true dat.

Shaun aRe - Hard ano = avoid, apparently...

Old April 4th 05, 06:20 PM
JD

CD is ceramic and the other is not. They are both hard anodized, which
terry (re)morse said would make them weak and very likely to fail. Of
course, morse is no longer here.

JD