how was your weather?

Old August 30th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides

Default how was your weather?

My tour of the Alps this year coincided with the best weather I can
recall, and I cant recall how good it was more than 20 years ago. I
was younger and faster then and the weather didn't matter to me
because it was all a big adventure.

From 11 July - 03 August the sun shone and we kept hearing of a heat
wave as we rode in the high country. Besides, heat waves in the Alps
are often punctuated by evening thunderstorms from which we benefited
on the so called hottest days. It rained before we started and Autumn
arrives the last day of the tour.

The Stelvio has had snow showers on and off ever since.

http://webcam.popso.it/stelvio.php?PASSOALTO
http://webcam.popso.it/stelvio.php?TERRAZZAPIROVANO
http://www.topin.ch/scripts/big_img.php?bild=ZER.JPG

ride report is in the making.

http://tinyurl.com/dr4ot

Jobst Brandt
Old August 30th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides
NYC XYZ

I rode 100 miles in cold driving rain.

Well, the first five were probably just chilly.

And only ten were probably really driving and stinging.

But I was getting a "nose ache" towards the end, and I'm surprised I
haven't caught cold at all.

It was an interestingly experience. What misery! But nothing like in
the Army. When I had to sleep wet. Ugh!! Crud between your toes and
all.

Old August 30th 06, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides

Tim McNamara writes:

My tour of the Alps this year coincided with the best weather I can
recall, and I cant recall how good it was more than 20 years ago.
I was younger and faster then and the weather didn't matter to me
because it was all a big adventure.

From 11 July - 03 August the sun shone and we kept hearing of a
heat wave as we rode in the high country. Besides, heat waves in
the Alps are often punctuated by evening thunderstorms from which
we benefited on the so called hottest days. It rained before we
started and Autumn arrived the last day of the tour.

So I have read repeatedly how the Alps are warming dramatically and
how snow pack and glaciers are melting very fast. Did you notice any
changes like this during your ride?

Yes, there were only moraines where I once saw glaciers but that is
over that last 20years, not just a hot summer.

The Stelvio has had snow showers on and off ever since.

http://webcam.popso.it/stelvio.php?PASSOALTO
http://webcam.popso.it/stelvio.php?TERRAZZAPIROVANO
http://www.topin.ch/scripts/big_img.php?bild=ZER.JPG

ride report is in the making.

http://tinyurl.com/dr4ot

Looking forward to reading it, as always.

There are lots of pictures to edit as well.

Jobst Brandt
Old August 31st 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides
Tom Kunich

wrote in message

The Stelvio has had snow showers on and off ever since.

http://webcam.popso.it/stelvio.php?PASSOALTO
http://webcam.popso.it/stelvio.php?TERRAZZAPIROVANO
http://www.topin.ch/scripts/big_img.php?bild=ZER.JPG

ride report is in the making.

http://tinyurl.com/dr4ot

Under the heading of HOLY ****!!! is the Stelvio as steep as it looks in
that photograph?

Old August 31st 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides

Tom Kunich writes:

The Stelvio has had snow showers on and off ever since.

http://webcam.popso.it/stelvio.php?PASSOALTO
http://webcam.popso.it/stelvio.php?TERRAZZAPIROVANO
http://www.topin.ch/scripts/big_img.php?bild=ZER.JPG

ride report is in the making.

http://tinyurl.com/dr4ot

Under the heading of HOLY ****!!! is the Stelvio as steep as it
looks in that photograph?

You mean this photograph:

http://tinyurl.com/agnvh
http://tinyurl.com/9ah2r

Yes, it's a long climb but exhilarating as you can see from the
scenery.

Check out the web cam at the top in the morning when it is daylight in
the Alps. That's the view across the summit into the Valtellina, the
zigzags in the last two URLs.

Jobst Brandt
Old August 31st 06, 05:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides
Tim McNamara

In article ,
wrote:

Tom Kunich writes:

Under the heading of HOLY ****!!! is the Stelvio as steep as it
looks in that photograph?

You mean this photograph:

http://tinyurl.com/agnvh
http://tinyurl.com/9ah2r

Yes, it's a long climb but exhilarating as you can see from the
scenery.

Riding up that would be fine. I'd hate to drive a car up it!
Old August 31st 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides
Art Harris

Tim McNamara wrote:
Riding up that would be fine. I'd hate to drive a car up it!

I see buses in the photo.

Art Harris

Old September 16th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides
Ken Roberts

Tim McNamara wrote
I have read repeatedly how the Alps are warming dramatically
and how snowpack and glaciers are melting very fast.

Try comparing the glacier in this photo
http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/...ry/glacier.jpg
whose thumbnail is given for Col Ferret near Monte Bianco on the Tour of the
Alps gallery page at
http://tinyurl.com/dr4ot

with the same glacier in the first photo on this page
http://roberts-1.com/t/b06/mb
taken two weeks ago when I got (thankfully) inspired by one of Jobst
Brandt's reports to try getting my bike over a high pass without benefit of
asphalt. I'm guessing that I spent a higher percentage of my time pushing
and carrying my bike than he did.

Ken

Old September 19th 06, 09:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides

Ken Roberts wrote:
with the same glacier in the first photo on this page
http://roberts-1.com/t/b06/mb
taken two weeks ago

Care to expand a bit and tell us more about your journey?

Sergio
Pisa