BBCs Have Your Say - Mobile phone usage in cars

Old February 26th 07, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin Dann

Default BBCs Have Your Say - Mobile phone usage in cars

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thre...?threadID=5651

An opportunity to make some comments about road safety to the BBC.
Old February 27th 07, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 26 Feb, 18:25, Martin Dann wrote:
http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thre...?threadID=5651

An opportunity to make some comments about road safety to the BBC.

Don't know about anybody else here, but after a near miss, I almost
expect to look up and see the driver on the phone. It seems 80% of the
ones driving too close, cutting me up at junctions or pushing me off
on roundabouts have their phone to their ear.

Old February 27th 07, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pinky

wrote in message
oups.com...
On 26 Feb, 18:25, Martin Dann wrote:
http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thre...?threadID=5651

An opportunity to make some comments about road safety to the BBC.

Don't know about anybody else here, but after a near miss, I almost
expect to look up and see the driver on the phone. It seems 80% of the
ones driving too close, cutting me up at junctions or pushing me off
on roundabouts have their phone to their ear.

I think you have a point! And on any 20 mile road trip I can almost guarantee
at least one near miss situation. It means to me that every time I am cycling
I am at the edge of being in a high risk situation.

Isn't the real problem about this dangerous and unlawful occupation that the
law is virtually unenforceable. There are many many motorists who totally
disregard the ban - and many of those are just incapable of driving "with due
care and attention" even without a mobile glued to their ear

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

Old February 27th 07, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian G

Pinky wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I think the main problem is that many, many people, possibly a great
majority, do not think of road traffic law as "The Law". "The Law"
involves stuff like murder, ABH, burglary, perhaps fraud and theft and
is generally to be obeyed because it is a good thing and society would
crumble even more without it. But it doesn't apply to driving the motor
car, for heaven's sake! Road traffic law is just, well, typical
interference by "them" and can be safely ignored.

--
Brian G
www.wetwo.co.uk
Old February 27th 07, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Brian G said the following on 27/02/2007 10:25:

I think the main problem is that many, many people, possibly a great
majority, do not think of road traffic law as "The Law". "The Law"
involves stuff like murder, ABH, burglary, perhaps fraud and theft and
is generally to be obeyed because it is a good thing and society would
crumble even more without it. But it doesn't apply to driving the motor
car, for heaven's sake! Road traffic law is just, well, typical
interference by "them" and can be safely ignored.

Just heard some prat on Radio 2 saying that he's allowed to use a mobile
phone when driving because he has an amateur radio license that allows
him to use any radio device. Or some bloke on R4 this morning who is OK
to use a phone whilst driving at 100mph because he's in a Volvo. Or a
dog food salesman on BBC's HYS who has a lot of calls on his mobile so
that's OK.

I don't think the message has really got across, somehow. TA the end of
the day though, the government can bring in as many laws as they like,
but they're pretty useless without enforcement.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old February 27th 07, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

On 27 Feb, 12:56, Paul Boyd usenet.dont.work@plusnet wrote:
I don't think the message has really got across, somehow. TA the end of
the day though, the government can bring in as many laws as they like,
but they're pretty useless without enforcement.

and there's an outcry when the laws are enforced e.g. speed cameras.
The local rag was moaning about a 50% increase in issued parking fines
and 70,000 bus lanes offences last year, like the offenders were being
victimised.

Old February 27th 07, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

POHB wrote:
On 27 Feb, 12:56, Paul Boyd usenet.dont.work@plusnet wrote:
I don't think the message has really got across, somehow. TA the end of
the day though, the government can bring in as many laws as they like,
but they're pretty useless without enforcement.

and there's an outcry when the laws are enforced e.g. speed cameras.

Speed cameras give the dangerous subliminal message that any speed up to
the limit, at any time, in any circumstances, is safe.

Given that the official analysis of the 2005 official road collision
data states that only 5% of /all/ injury collisions (12% of all fatal
collisions) have speeding as a contributory factor, and given that most
collisions occur within the limit, is it really worth risking instilling
the attitude into drivers that it is always safe to travel /at/ the
speed limit - and that they will never be held to account for going too
fast for the conditions so long as they remain within that limit??? I
don't think so.

--
Matt B
Old February 27th 07, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
BigRab

On 27 Feb, 14:58, Matt B wrote:

Speed cameras give the dangerous subliminal message that any speed up to
the limit, at any time, in any circumstances, is safe.

Given that the official analysis of the 2005 official road collision
data states......... Blah blah blah

HWGA!
(HereWeGoAgain!)

Robert

Old February 27th 07, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

BigRab wrote:
On 27 Feb, 14:58, Matt B wrote:

Speed cameras give the dangerous subliminal message that any speed up to
the limit, at any time, in any circumstances, is safe.

Given that the official analysis of the 2005 official road collision
data states......... Blah blah blah

HWGA!
(HereWeGoAgain!)

Do you refute their conclusions? Do their conclusions contradict your
preconceptions?

--
Matt B
Old February 27th 07, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Thorpe

wrote:
On 26 Feb, 18:25, Martin Dann wrote:

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thre...?threadID=5651

An opportunity to make some comments about road safety to the BBC.

Don't know about anybody else here, but after a near miss, I almost
expect to look up and see the driver on the phone. It seems 80% of the
ones driving too close, cutting me up at junctions or pushing me off
on roundabouts have their phone to their ear.

I often see this, especially when the nitwit on the 'phone is entering
the roundabout. They seem reluctant to stop. Why is this? Can anyone who
drives tell me what's going on. Are they trying t avoid changing gear or
something?
Roger Thorpe