Marco Pantani Found Dead

Old February 15th 04, 03:36 AM

Old February 15th 04, 08:44 AM

Old February 15th 04, 09:29 AM

Sun, 15 Feb 2004 02:44:52 -0500, ,

Maybe he signed up at cyclingforums.com
--
zk
Old February 15th 04, 09:42 AM
Eric S. Sande

Default Marco Pantani Found Dead

Death in Rimini.

So sad, but he had a good ride.

Maybe he signed up at cyclingforums.com

Nope, Pantani is dead as a doornail, according to VOA and CNN.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old February 15th 04, 03:39 PM
Luigi de Guzman

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 03:42:29 -0500, "Eric S. Sande"
wrote:

Death in Rimini.

So sad, but he had a good ride.

Maybe he signed up at cyclingforums.com

Nope, Pantani is dead as a doornail, according to VOA and CNN.

Where on *earth* can you receive VOA over the air in the DC Metro
area?

The only time I ever remember hearing VOA over the air in the USA was
in the few days after 9/11, when the news was still on all the time.
My Dad and I went down to the hardware store to buy a few things for
fixing up the house, and one of the stations--can't remember
which--was rebroadcasting the VOA feed.

WAMU carries the BBC's "The World Today" at midnight and CBC's "As It
Happens" at eleven at night, and after that Deutsche Welle "Newslink"

Man, I really need to listen to more shortwave. I miss hearing the
voices of the newsreaders. My favourites were always the newsreaders
for Radio Havana Cuba (I tuned in once during their coverage of the
Pan-Am games--or was it the goodwill?) and Radio Exterior de España.
And Radio Beijing always used to play the PRC anthem at the start of
its broadcasts, which was always stirring.

-Luigi
"I hear the talking of the DJ
Can't understand just what does he say?"
-Wall of Voodoo, "Mexican Radio"

www.livejournal.com/users/ouij
photos, rants, raves
Old February 15th 04, 05:03 PM
Eric S. Sande

Where on *earth* can you receive VOA over the air in the DC Metro
area?

I can't. I cheat and get it on the web. I do have a shortwave radio
but it's at work and all I can get is Deutcshe Welle.

It's a German radio.

Mostly I listen to WAMU, which is pretty good as it has CBC programming
at night, "As it Happens" is very cool.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old February 15th 04, 05:20 PM
Zippy the Pinhead

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 09:39:43 -0500, Luigi de Guzman
wrote:

Man, I really need to listen to more shortwave. I miss hearing the
voices of the newsreaders.

Funny you posted that just now. Our local PBS station broadcasts the
BBC overnight. There was a new newsreader on last night who sounds as
though he's pinching his nose shut while he reads the news.

Old February 16th 04, 05:45 AM
Luigi de Guzman

wrote:

Man, I really need to listen to more shortwave. I miss hearing the
voices of the newsreaders.

Funny you posted that just now. Our local PBS station broadcasts the
BBC overnight. There was a new newsreader on last night who sounds as
though he's pinching his nose shut while he reads the news.

My favourite BBC newsreader of all time, Brian Perkins, retired in
2003. He had this deep, velvety baritone. The Barry White of hourly
news bulletins. I only wish I sounded that cool.

Karl Kassel of NPR News in the USA is the closest equivalent, and it's
just not the same.

-Luigi
"Fisher, Dogger, German Bight"

Old February 16th 04, 10:23 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:45:54 -0500, Luigi de Guzman
wrote in message
:

My favourite BBC newsreader of all time, Brian Perkins, retired in
2003.

Ah, but what about Charlotte Green? The only woman in the world who
can make the Shipping Forecast sound like the Karma Sutra!

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at the University of Washington.
Old February 16th 04, 11:37 PM
Hunrobe

Am I the only one that thinks Pantani deserves more than a fleeting mention
before the thread moves on? In his prime there were damn few riders that could
hang with him in the mountains and his prime was preceded by a career
threatening shattered femur suffered in a head-on collision in 1995. Three
years later he managed to win the Giro and the TdF, both in the same year. I
don't care what drugs he may have taken. That's impressive. He will be missed.

Regards,
Bob Hunt