lickton's gets no more business from me!

Old April 22nd 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.soc
Zoot Katz

Default lickton's gets no more business from me!

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 18:07:00 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Apr 21, 8:13 pm, Tim McNamara wrote:

I'm baffled by buying a lock ring by mail order and not just riding down
to the LBS to get one. Unless you only have LBSes with worse customer
service than Lickton's.

Could be Walter has already gotten angry at all his local bike shops
because they're not working for free, either.

Posting private e-mail without the author's consent is a scummiest of
stupid stunts to start with. In this his case piddling rant
backfired.

I liked the Subject: of Curt's response, "We love you, too, Walter."
--
zk
Old April 22nd 08, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.soc
Bob

On Apr 21, 8:07*pm, SLAVE of THE STATE wrote:

BTW, Walt is a cry-baby who has nothing better to do than waste his
time and everyone else's time complaining about some gd sub-$10
purchase that went all wrong. *I mean, he could post something about
global warming.

I think Walt's offbase but at least he's on topic. Let's see...
rec.bicycles.misc, rec.bicycles.racing, rec.bicycles.marketplace,
rec.bicycles.soc. Nope, not a word about global warming or any other
allegedly impending climate change. There are plenty of offtopic
threads in these NGs without encouraging more.

Regards,
Bob Hunt
Old April 22nd 08, 03:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.soc
Leo Lichtman

"Zoot Katz" wrote: Stickers?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I get more of those than I want, free of charge, along the road shoulders.
;-)

I was thinking more in terms of a Campy lock ring.

Old April 22nd 08, 01:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.soc
Bruce Gilbert[_3_]

"walter" wrote in message
i ordered a single campy lock-ring from lickton's. shipping was $6.
alot, but whatever.

receive the lock-ring a week or so later, strapped to the back of a
turtle...and the envelope indicated shipping cost was an actual $0.82.

i understand shipping has labour costs, material costs, etc. but a
631% markup is ludicrous, so wrote an unpleasant email to their
customer-support address saying i thought it was ludicrous and that if
they charge a premium for shipping, they should at least use some sort
of premium class of expedited shipping (i.e., postal priority, fedex
ground, ups). also told them that i'd share my experiences on the
online forums i frequent. clearly not the best tack to take, but i was
tired and grumpy after a +3hr ride as i hadnt eaten yet. but whatever.

their reply was, ahem, perhaps even more unkind with a load of
rationalization and justification. and further try to justify that
because they need to subsidize the shipping costs on kryptonite locks.

hmmm...lemme seee he shipping a 20gram lockring...walk over to the
bin, pick it out, stuff envelope, print out invoice/label, stick to
envelop, print out postage, drop in mailbox. i do that all the time
and it takes me a minute or two.

clearly, these guys are running a crappy shop and in over their heads
if they seriously believe a they can justify such a huge markup on the
basis of time and materials. and this douchebag "curt" is a jackass
who knows nothing at all about customer service.

walter

Old April 22nd 08, 02:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Kunich

"Bruce Gilbert" wrote in message
m...

When informing customers about Shipping & Handling we often have a similar
problem, arise. We have a $5 minimum deal. I figured our worst case
scenario: only one item to get to the post office, with one small item in
the bag. If we send someone to do the post office run, it will probably
take
45 minutes. The postage may only be a dollar, but what will it cost you
for
the employee to drive up there, stand in line and then return? Many times
we
actually have been called back by customers complaining about paying our
$5
minimum when the actual postage on the package was over $6. My wife and I
sometimes have to sit back and laugh...

Lately though, the gas prices have sharply reduced the shipping costs
complaints.

What always amazes me is that these same people don't complain about very
expensive high end bikes that simply aren't worth the sort of money they're
willing to pay to get them. But that dollar part now......

Old April 22nd 08, 03:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.soc
SMS

Tim McNamara wrote:

I'm baffled by buying a lock ring by mail order and not just riding down
to the LBS to get one. Unless you only have LBSes with worse customer
service than Lickton's.

I'm sure that driving or riding or calling around looking for a shop
that has this item in stock would have cost him far more than $6 worth
of time, fuel, etc. OTOH, some on-line stores do offer very low-priced
shipping for items they can stick in a padded envelope which is nice of
them. They don't have to go to the post office to do this, their mail
carrier will pick them up.

As a customer, of course, you certainly have the right to no longer do
business with them if their service was unsatisfactory from your
perspective.

I'll order more stuff from Lickton's to make up for Walter!

I've ordered Lone Peak stuff from them, as it's nearly impossible to
find locally. Lone Peak has one of the only trunk bags that doesn't use
funky velcro straps to hold it onto the rack. Lickton's charges $50 for
it, another on-line store charges $70 for it.

"http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='3648-01'"
"http://www.gaerlan.com/bikeparts/acc/bag/bag.html"

Another item I've found at Lickton's are the elusive Ciussi Elite VIP
Universal Cage Mount. He charges $7.95. Harris Cyclery charges $15.95
for the same item. It's a very unique item not found in any bicycle
shop, but that's quite a difference in mark-up!

"http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='3242-00'"
"http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/accessories.html"

Old April 22nd 08, 03:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.soc
RicodJour

On Apr 21, 4:25 pm, walter wrote:
[...]

Congratulations! You have succeeded in letting everyone know what a
putz you are. You write unpleasant emails complaining about a few
bucks, have a problem maintaining blood sugar levels, are entirely
clueless when it comes to business costs, don't know enough to ask
about shipping beforehand, and you take cheap shots at people on
Usenet. You should be very proud.

Go get a candy bar and shut up.

Old April 22nd 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.soc
Michael Press

In article ,
SMS wrote:

[...]

Another item I've found at Lickton's are the elusive Ciussi Elite VIP
Universal Cage Mount. He charges $7.95. Harris Cyclery charges $15.95
for the same item. It's a very unique item not found in any bicycle

I can't resist.

--
Michael Press