Problem Chain..

Old July 11th 03, 11:42 AM
Shaun Rimmer

Default Problem Chain..

mitchell mandell wrote in message
. au...
The chain on my Bike has this Dry lube clear stuff on it from the factory.

Sand has attached itself all over it. sparingly. but enough to make me
concerned. is sand crunching through the Chain and rear derailer safe ?

No - it will cause wear - clean the chain thoroughly with a degreaser of
some sort, and apply a good lube.

It makes this horrible sound. not the sound I want it too make which is

next
to nothing. The rear deore Clicks every now and then the sound they make
when they want to change gears for no reason.. I cant tell if its the sand
crunching or a dodgy derailer. any thoughts or opinions velcom. thankyou

If this persists after you clean and re lube the chain, check the derailleur
is adjusted properly (small barrely adjusters at each end of the cable).

Shaun aRe

Old July 11th 03, 06:20 PM
John Morgan

Sand has attached itself all over it. sparingly. but enough to make me
concerned. is sand crunching through the Chain and rear derailer safe ?

I live in a very dry, dusty climate and I find this situation unavoidable.
Now if it's coarse sand you're talking about, you should definitely clean
the drivetrain. I think even if I cleaned my chain after every ride it
would still sound gritty... so instead I use WL wax lube after every ride.
I don't THINK my parts wear out uncommonly fast, but then again, I've never
lived anywhere else to compare.

-John Morgan

Old July 11th 03, 07:40 PM
Dave

"John Morgan" wrote in message
snip
I don't THINK my parts wear out uncommonly fast, but then again, I've

never
lived anywhere else to compare.

-John Morgan

Your parts wear out!!??!!- oo-er, poor John......
They shouldn't wear out John!, you're obviously doing it wrong...and if
you're in any doubt, you show me yours and I'll show you mine !...used mine
lots and still looking as good as the first time ;-)
Reminds me of the - 'Do you smoke ?'....'Only if I go real fast!'

cheers,
Dave.

Old July 11th 03, 09:45 PM
Craig Brossman

Default Prefered Lube, was: Problem Chain..

"John Morgan" wrote in message
Sand has attached itself all over it. sparingly. but enough to make me
concerned. is sand crunching through the Chain and rear derailer safe ?

I live in a very dry, dusty climate and I find this situation unavoidable.
Now if it's coarse sand you're talking about, you should definitely clean
the drivetrain. I think even if I cleaned my chain after every ride it
would still sound gritty... so instead I use WL wax lube after every ride.
I don't THINK my parts wear out uncommonly fast, but then again, I've

never
lived anywhere else to compare.

-John Morgan

John, I live in the very same climate and have recently changed my lube. For
a long time I was using Triflow, but a year ago the LBS turned me onto White
Lightening(WL). The wax lube is nice, easy to apply, keeps the chain looking
good, sheds dust and dirt pretty well ... EXCEPT when it gets wet! High
mountain rides around here usually have a couple of little stream crossings,
runoff from some snow 30 feet up the trail. In almost every case after
crossing a creek, the chain begins to go to sh#t, and gets worse as the ride
goes along. My riding buddy recently had the same experience on a ride we
did, he had a WL chain, mine was my back-up bike with TriFlow, and despite
very little maintenence of this chain, it performed great.

I'm back to TriFlow on the both mountain bikes, it picks up a little more
dust, but performs better over the long haul. I'll save the WL for the road
bike where I avoid crossing streams

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
(remove .nospam. if replying)

Cleaning & lubricating chain bearings [email protected] General 2 June 24th 04 05:14 PM
What's the best chain cleaner & degreaser? Pbwalther General 6 April 5th 04 04:29 AM
Contact lens problem Alfred Ryder General 9 November 14th 03 05:45 PM
Chain cleaning GABIKE General 9 August 13th 03 11:28 AM
Rehydrating my chain? Mark \(UK\) Mountain Biking 5 July 14th 03 05:19 PM