a cage creature observation

Old September 10th 03, 03:44 PM
Mark Hickey

Default a cage creature observation

Kevan Smith /\/\ wrote:

I often ride to my LBS from my house, taking the same 7-mile route each time.
When I am all spandexed out and on my racing bike, cage creatures give me room
on the road, seldom yell, and, in general, treat me well. But, when I am on my
ATB, outfitted in normal clothes, I get heaps of abuse -- cars pass way too
close, people yell, etc. Nothing changes but the bike and clothing. I find this
odd.

I've seen the same thing. I think it has as much to do with your
speed as your clothing though. Maybe it's nothing more than the
drivers considering the fact that someone who's going fast just MAY be
able to catch them at the next light.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old September 10th 03, 05:20 PM
Rick Onanian

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 14:44:26 GMT, Mark Hickey wrote:
speed as your clothing though. Maybe it's nothing more than the
drivers considering the fact that someone who's going fast just MAY be
able to catch them at the next light.

I don't think there are any concious decisions
by the drivers to respect or buzz a cyclist; I
think it's mostly subconcious, or a result of
the circumstances.

I couldn't begin to guess how that actually
applies, though.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

--
Rick Onanian
Old September 10th 03, 06:24 PM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni

Zoot Katz wrote in message ...

Pros like you and Mario should be riding Ducati's Testasretta
SuperBike 998 with those gorgeous Marchesini wheels. Or something
manly like the Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Ballabio.
Leave the Hondas and Harleys for amateurs.

Ask any of us over on team Fassa Bortolo and
the answer will be Jap motor bikes are what you
must ride these days.

Old September 11th 03, 04:19 AM
Mark Hickey

Kevan Smith /\/\ wrote:

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 23:42:29 GMT, "Baker, Jane Baker"
from EarthLink Inc. --

So, Kevan... how does your ass look in spandex?

Pretty god damned good! My legs look great, too.

I find it ironic that just a few posts ago, Kevan was so concerned
with the importance of telling the truth, and now...

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old September 11th 03, 06:05 PM
Mike Latondresse

"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" wrote in
. ca:

Zoot Katz wrote in message ...

Pros like you and Mario should be riding Ducati's Testasretta
SuperBike 998 with those gorgeous Marchesini wheels. Or something
manly like the Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Ballabio.
Leave the Hondas and Harleys for amateurs.

Ask any of us over on team Fassa Bortolo and
the answer will be Jap motor bikes are what you
must ride these days.

Yeah but Fab the hot ones are not the 4s, it is the twins that all the
cool guys are riding.
Old September 11th 03, 10:36 PM

Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
writes:

I have noticed some of the same behaviors with my commuter bike vs.
my grocery shopping bike. I'll be riding the same roads right near
my house. Riding the same way, often at the same speeds (assuming
I don't have twenty pound sacks of rice in my baskets). Yet I get
a lot more honking, swearing, and bad behavior from motorists.

Practical cycling also exposes riders to poor-bashing.

That's my intuitive guess, anyway.

I've wondered if that might explain it. My shopping bike certainly
is nothing much to look at. And when I go shopping, I'm just in a
t-shirt and shorts. Usually not looking terribly natty.

Shopping by bike in Bellevue could be better. Bellevue isn't
terribly bicycle friendly (Verdamnt Superblocks) (Sorry Claire).

One of the reasons I just moved back to Seattle.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"The bullets are just his way of saying 'Keep it down, I've got a