Winter gear

Old January 8th 21, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]

Default Winter gear

Surprisingly in Illinois the last 3 days have been ok to ride outside. No wind and the snow and ice off roads. I manage 51 miles today with temps at about 34 degrees not too much wind less than 10 mph and the last 10 home were tailing. Maybe can ride out a lot this winter who knows?

I have a GoreWear jacket the is tremendous have it at least 4-5 years. It works with only a good heavy base layer top underneath that takes away moisture. I then put on my trusty Mizuno Running pants with base layer polyester long johns. That works really good I don't sweat and stay warm.

Now I am seeing the Gorewear has some like long pants at around $110. Has anyone tried them or used them? I don't know if they would be much better than what I have but the Gorewwear jacket is outstanding.

Along with this Garmin sent me a new heart rate strap my old one stopped working. The new one is bluetooth and can be used with a phone app too. I found it was a bit hard to pair at first but today was superior to my old one. Garmin does a good job on customer service.

Finally in the tech world of bikes cold has zero effect on mechanic shimano I assume Di2 is same?
Deacon Mark
Old January 9th 21, 11:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op vrijdag 8 januari 2021 om 22:21:02 UTC+1 schreef :
[...]

I'm a fan of Gore bike wear; good stuff with a good racy fit and reasonable priced. I also have a comfortable Gore winter jacket that only needs a base layer to stay warm for 2-3 hours, in my case up to -5C which is very rare around here. It's already weeks between 0 an +5 C. I don't like layers for my bottom half, so I have winter pants. Pants are very personal so I can't comment on that. If you find pants that really fits you and keep you warm, buy them even if they are expensive. They last a long time if taken care of. My two pairs of Assos winter pants last already 15 years and still going strong. I need some extra protection in front of my knees. Cold knees in the wet are killing. The Assos pants have extra wind block material in front of the knee that is also water repellent. As I said pants are very personal.
I did not experience any effect of the Dutch not that extreme cold weather on my Di2 setups. I assume that Di2 battery life is not immune for the effects extreme cold weather.

Lou
Old January 9th 21, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Saturday, January 9, 2021 at 2:46:16 AM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

My experience with Gore-Tex is that it didn't stretch enough and was extremely expensive.
Old January 9th 21, 05:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op zaterdag 9 januari 2021 om 16:18:26 UTC+1 schreef :
[...]

GoreTex is something different than Gore Bike Wear. The first is a breathable textile, the second is a brand of bicycling clothes like Pearl Izumi, Castelli etc.

Lou
Old January 9th 21, 07:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, January 9, 2021 at 8:47:31 AM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

My Gore jacket was a nice piece and was loved to death, and then I bought a Showers Pass replacement because of the local deals. My Gore Gore-Tex booties are my favorite booties. I've never owned the jersey/tights, and like you say, it is really all about sizing.

I always wear shorts and tights and have never liked tights with chamois. I have some Asos winter tights that are nice (with the extra protection at the knees and thighs), several pairs of mid-weight tights, mostly Castelli (Castelli USA is in PDX, so there are deals to be had), and my used-up and soon to be landfill Pearl Izumi Amfib tights which get worn a lot and are the only tights I have that are water resistant. If it is cold and raining a lot, I wear my Amfibs and shorts, and upper is a light poly base layer, my Castelli Gabba under a Showers Pass jacket. That gives me two layers of rain resistance (and a more waterproof collar), and both are fairly breathable. If its cold and just raining some, then I'll use a different mid-layer like a mid-weight jersey, and if it is just super cold, I wear the Amfibs or Asos tights, a Castelli wool long sleeve base layer, a fleecy winter jersey and a light outer shell, like a PI Barrier Jacket. If it is so cold that I need my down jacket, I probably won't ride because its miserable to breathe, particularly through a balaclava. Plus, a fleece mid-layer can be really warm if used with a wind-proof jacket.

Some of my winter jerseys are pretty robust and can be an outer layer, but I've never owned a true cycling jacket that wasn't a rain jacket or shell, say like this: https://tinyurl.com/y4ggccua My son has a one of these from a local Utah manufacturer. https://hyperthreads.com/product/fleece-jacket-black/ He layers that for cold weather riding in Salt Lake, and it is cold there, particularly above 7K feet where most of his rides go. He uses lobster gloves and is thinking about getting some of those bar mitts. https://tinyurl.com/yyk8l7bw

OT, I was going to go skiing today but turned around because there was a massive traffic jam. The downside of COVID is that all the shut-ins go to the mountain on the weekend. Traffic is two or three times worse this year than last. It's a blue bird day too, so that adds to the craziness. I'll just go for a ride.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old January 9th 21, 10:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Saturday, January 9, 2021 at 10:08:58 AM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

After what Lou said about Gore Bicycle Wear I'm not sure about it. I know that my Goretex stuff did not stretch enough and tied up your legs.

I did not like tights with Chamois in them as well until I recently got some Chinese thermal tights that weren't sold any other way. One set had an especially soft and pliable chamois that worked exceptionally well - much better than my Pearl Izumi. And another pair that was far better than the Pearl Izumi as well but the thermal qualities weren't very good. But it changed my mind about tights with chamois in them. And since they're only $35 it isn't like spending $200 on a Pearl Izumi set of thermals that may not work as well as the cheapies. I did get a set of chamois less tights from Nashbar many years ago but then a couple of years ago I fell over pulling into my house and tore them all up. The thermal qualities of those were very good but you can't get them anymore with Nashbar only handling major brands at retail pricing.
Old January 11th 21, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

[...]

EPILOG: Yesterday was a blue-bird day, but today was mostly rain and 40F to start (coldish but not terrible) and I decided to ride with somewhat fatter gloves and realized that I hate fatter gloves because its so hard getting stuff out of the jersey pocket, like a Cliff Bar. And if you have fatter gloves with tight cuffs or a tight fit, just pulling them off and putting them back on is not easy while riding. The trick is a coat with rear, easy-with-fat-gloves-on access pockets. I have a horizontal slash pocket with a zip on the Showers Pass, but I forgot about it. My friends super-expensive Castelli shake dry rain coat has nice pockets. https://content.backcountry.com/imag...00RW/BK_D3.jpg Current version of my jacket: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/16...g?v=1568806648 The benefit with the Showers Pass jacket is that it packs into its rear pocket, although the Castelli jacket undoubtedly packs smaller because the fabric is so light. Anyway, easy access coat pockets are nice to have for food. Another thing about gloves is that a lot of the supposedly warmer gloves don't have good palm padding. They're basically ski gloves or runner gloves.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old January 11th 21, 02:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/10/2021 7:38 PM, jbeattie wrote:

EPILOG: Yesterday was a blue-bird day, but today was mostly rain and 40F to start (coldish but not terrible) and I decided to ride with somewhat fatter gloves and realized that I hate fatter gloves because its so hard getting stuff out of the jersey pocket, like a Cliff Bar.

Ahem: Try a handlebar bag. ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 11th 21, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bertrand[_3_]

EPILOG: Yesterday was a blue-bird day, but today was mostly rain and 40F to start (coldish but not terrible) and I decided to ride with somewhat fatter gloves and realized that I hate fatter gloves because its so hard getting stuff out of the jersey pocket, like a Cliff Bar. And if you have fatter gloves with tight cuffs or a tight fit, just pulling them off and putting them back on is not easy while riding.

That's why I like glomitts so much, down to about freezing. Just flip back the
mitten part to get something out of a pocket, then flip back up when I'm done.
And if my hands get a little too warm, I just leave the mitt part open.
Old January 11th 21, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, January 10, 2021 at 5:38:37 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/10/2021 7:38 PM, jbeattie wrote:

EPILOG: Yesterday was a blue-bird day, but today was mostly rain and 40F to start (coldish but not terrible) and I decided to ride with somewhat fatter gloves and realized that I hate fatter gloves because its so hard getting stuff out of the jersey pocket, like a Cliff Bar.

Ahem: Try a handlebar bag. ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski

For a Cliff Bar? Seems like overkill, and I would have to unzip it with my fatty gloves, although I supposed it could have Velcro. I thought your response would be "you could just stop" -- but that wasn't the vibe today. I wish it had been. I was tired from riding yesterday, and my friends weren't.

-- Jay Beattie.

Vacnouver, BC Fall / Winter clothing gear help John Macmillan General 11 September 2nd 06 10:27 PM
FA: Winter shoes, winter tights, Serfas saddle John Verheul Marketplace 0 January 4th 06 06:02 PM
Winter cycling gear John Hearns UK 29 November 17th 05 01:20 PM
Aldi winter gear All I Said Was UK 11 September 30th 05 09:35 PM
FA: High End Cycling Gear and Winter Clothes Bikeparts Marketplace 0 December 6th 04 02:02 PM