A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

ride faster!

Old October 18th 19, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default ride faster!

On Thursday, October 17, 2019 at 7:32:53 AM UTC-7, duane wrote:
On 17/10/2019 10:24 a.m., Andre Jute wrote:
On Thursday, October 17, 2019 at 7:49:01 AM UTC+1, Rolf Mantel wrote:

The alternate is not to cycle on the sidewalk in the first place, when
it is known that riding on a sidewalk is 3 times as dangerous as riding
on the road ;-)

I generally agree. But it strikes me that someone who rides on the pavement all the time, or any time it is permitted, is probably also a gutter bunny, and that truck driver would have collected him either way.

I'd be interest to hear where you got your information "that riding on a sidewalk is 3 times as dangerous as riding on the road".

Seems to me that this would depend a lot on the road and the sidewalk.
We had a couple people killed in Montreal going through an underpass and
being rear ended by trucks. You'd have to see the setup. Steep
underpass. Dark. Narrow. Truck didn't see the cyclists etc. There
are sidewalks there and the city decided to allow cyclists to use them.

Before the danger danger brigade gets fired up, this is a one off. I
wouldn't recommend using sidewalks generally.

Andre Jute
Aggressive Passive Safety: Bicyclists should avoid tangling with mechanical contrivances bigger than they are.

There are quite a few locations like that around the bay area and my response is to take the exit and corresponding entrance back onto the same road. On another area it is a gravel trail and is a real pain in the butt because it is steep going under the underpass and the difference between sun and shade is quite marked so that you always have to worry about things on the path.
Ads
Old October 18th 19, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default ride faster!

On Thursday, October 17, 2019 at 8:53:18 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
On Thursday, October 17, 2019 at 7:47:08 AM UTC+1, wrote:

If the cyclist thinks he is protected riding that way he is an idiot. If I was riding there I would think 'I'm riding here and there is a big chance the truck driver doesn't notice me' because:
- I'm riding in the wrong direction,
- the driver is in a high position and will easily over look me,
- a driver taking a right turn will likely only be concentrating on oncoming traffic from the left.

So I would have stopped.

Lou

Yes, and there is plenty of evidence of blind spots that the driver of a truck can't see. Cyclists should learn what they are and they out of them. A particularly obvious position I see cyclists take in the city is on the pavement side of the truck, when the truck already indicates he's going to turn across the cyclist's position -- and obviously, the truck driver can't see him. In such a case, I'm not surprised that after the incident the police decide the cyclist was to blame.

Andre Jute
Darwin

That Truck Driver firstly didn't even look when he pulled out or he expect his size to cause everyone to give him right-of-way. Secondly you watched him CONTIUE after he could see he hit a cyclist. Far as I know that means the end of a commercial license.
Old October 18th 19, 12:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default ride faster!

On Thursday, October 17, 2019 at 9:53:33 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:

on the road ;-)

I generally agree. But it strikes me that someone who rides on the pavement all the time, or any time it is permitted, is probably also a gutter bunny, and that truck driver would have collected him either way.

I'd be interest to hear where you got your information "that riding on a sidewalk is 3 times as dangerous as riding on the road".

Andre Jute
Aggressive Passive Safety: Bicyclists should avoid tangling with mechanical contrivances bigger than they are.

And oddly, modified sidewalks are deemed the safest type of bicycle facility. https://bikeportland.org/2017/02/14/...lwaukie-217696 The previous on-street bike lane was far safer. You didn't get cars lunging over limit lines into "bike crossings," i.e. cross walks, and you didn't have to stop every fifty yards or less for cross-streets and driveways. You just rode along with the cars -- straight shot. But now we have an awesome facility where you get to dodge cars and pedestrians. Oh joy. I'd go on about the f****** nightmare ride into work this morning in a bike facility, but I've got things to do. I'm turning into that crazy old Tourette's guy yelling at cars, bikes and pedestrians. One day I'll wake up and be TK -- or a cockroach, one or the other.

Old October 18th 19, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

Default ride faster!

On Thursday, October 17, 2019 at 4:35:36 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:

on the road ;-)

Seems to me that this would depend a lot on the road and the sidewalk..

Andre Jute

And oddly, modified sidewalks are deemed the safest type of bicycle facility. https://bikeportland.org/2017/02/14/...lwaukie-217696 The previous on-street bike lane was far safer. You didn't get cars lunging over limit lines into "bike crossings," i.e. cross walks, and you didn't have to stop every fifty yards or less for cross-streets and driveways. You just rode along with the cars -- straight shot. But now we have an awesome facility where you get to dodge cars and pedestrians. Oh joy. I'd go on about the f****** nightmare ride into work this morning in a bike facility, but I've got things to do. I'm turning into that crazy old Tourette's guy yelling at cars, bikes and pedestrians. One day I'll wake up and be TK -- or a cockroach, one or the other.

-- Jay Beattie.

I just got an email this time from some back-east recruiter and another from LinkIn about that NASA position. They said it is newly started "Small Satellite Maintenance" department. Since they sure as hell aren't bringing them down and repairing them I can only assume that it is firmware updates. So, since you're the local expert - have you heard of the Small Satellite Maintenance Department of NASA?

I had pad kee mao from the Thai cart today. It was super-good, and I get free Thai tea because I work downtown. It's really too sweet, but the lady in the cart is willing to ratchet back the sugar and make it just right. Have you ever heard of pad kee mao?

I probably eat more Thai food than John B, but tomorrow, I'm going to the Korean BBQ cart next door. Or maybe I'll get a sandwich.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old October 18th 19, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.
external usenet poster

Default ride faster!

On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 17:39:41 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

on the road ;-)

Andre Jute

-- Jay Beattie.

I just got an email this time from some back-east recruiter and another from LinkIn about that NASA position. They said it is newly started "Small Satellite Maintenance" department. Since they sure as hell aren't bringing them down and repairing them I can only assume that it is firmware updates. So, since you're the local expert - have you heard of the Small Satellite Maintenance Department of NASA?

I had pad kee mao from the Thai cart today. It was super-good, and I get free Thai tea because I work downtown. It's really too sweet, but the lady in the cart is willing to ratchet back the sugar and make it just right. Have you ever heard of pad kee mao?

Thai is a bit difficult to write in English because many of sounds are
different than English sounds. The first word I would spell "pot" but
the sound of the final letter is about half way between a "t" and a
'd". It means stir fried. The second word which rhymes with "pee" or
"gee" means feces, or "****" in the common usage. The final word, that
probably should be spelled "mao" means drunk. So the translation of
the name of the dish is "stir fried **** drunk" :-) (No really, I
asked my wife). The dish is stir fried meat (the expert says any kind
of meat) with a lot of chilies. And when a Thai says "a lot of
chilies" it implies that the hottest Mexican dish is sort of bland.

And, yes, "pod kee mao" is the proper name of the dish and can be used
in mixed company and implies that the dish is soooo spicy that it
makes you feel drunk as **** (to use an American term).

If your cart vendor is an immigrant - comes from the Old Country - ask
him/her if she/him (political correctness here) is from Esan (North
Eastern Thailand) - they are sort of the Red Necks of Thailand - and
if he/she is ask them if they can make you a plate of pot kee mao like
they make it at home in Thailand, not special for a "farang", and try
that :-)

By the way, "Thai Tea" is a made-up word, there is no such thing in
Thailand :-)

I probably eat more Thai food than John B, but tomorrow, I'm going to the Korean BBQ cart next door. Or maybe I'll get a sandwich.

You may well as my wife's father was from China and she cooks a lot of
Chinese dishes :-)

-- Jay Beattie.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old October 18th 19, 03:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default ride faster!

On 10/17/2019 8:39 PM, jbeattie wrote:

on the road ;-)

Andre Jute

-- Jay Beattie.

And I've been wondering about getting geared tuning pegs on my fiddle.
Since I use D'Addario Helicore strings, I need the fine tuning
capability. I've been using traditional fine tuners in the tailpiece,
but the geared pegs may be nicer.

(It's fun to jump on the Non Sequitur train!)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 18th 19, 04:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.
external usenet poster

Default ride faster!

On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 22:49:22 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

on the road ;-)

Andre Jute

-- Jay Beattie.

Knilling make some very nice 4 :: 1 tuners that look much like the
original tuning pegs and their advert says:
"Terrific for older players with arthritis or weakened grip".
--
cheers,

John B.

Old October 18th 19, 04:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.
external usenet poster

Default ride faster!

On Fri, 18 Oct 2019 10:32:26 +0700, John B.
wrote:

wrote:

on the road ;-)

Andre Jute

-- Jay Beattie.

And even more :-)

The Australian press is raving mad because it appears that something
like 4,000 retired race horses are being slaughtered annually, largely
for meat.

At the same time there 7.8 million cattle and sheep being slaughtered
annually. AND, some 403,000 of the slaughtered cattle are females.

Think of it, almost 2,000 times as many cattle and sheep doomed to
death and not a single voice raised. Oh! The Shame!
--
cheers,

John B.

Old October 18th 19, 08:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default ride faster!

Am 18.10.2019 um 01:21 schrieb Tom Kunich:

If the sidewalk if that dangerous why do you suppose the law says that anyone 13 and younger can ride on the sidewalk?

Actually, it doesn't. German lay says anybody under the age of 8 must
use the sidewalk, children under the age of 10 and parents accompanying
children under the age of 8 may use the sidewalk.
Anybody using the sidewalk must dismount at each junction and cross the
road as a pedestrian.

Ensuring cyclists on sidewalks never have priority over others minimizes
the collisions between cyclists and turning vehicles because turning
vehicles can't violate the cyclists' priority ;-)
Old October 18th 19, 10:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18
external usenet poster

Default ride faster!

On Fri, 18 Oct 2019 10:42:44 +0700, John B. wrote:

On Fri, 18 Oct 2019 10:32:26 +0700, John B.
wrote:

wrote:

I had pad kee mao from the Thai cart today. It was super-good, and I
get free Thai tea because I work downtown. It's really too sweet, but
the lady in the cart is willing to ratchet back the sugar and make it
just right. Have you ever heard of pad kee mao?

I probably eat more Thai food than John B, but tomorrow, I'm going to
the Korean BBQ cart next door. Or maybe I'll get a sandwich.

And even more :-)

The Australian press is raving mad because it appears that something
like 4,000 retired race horses are being slaughtered annually, largely
for meat.

But horses are cute and mostly humans don' eat horse in Australia. It
apparently all gets exported to Europe.

The bruha is the racing and pacing industry says that 1% are knackeed/
slaughtered, but 4,000 p.a. is about 50% of the annual production of
yearlings.

At the same time there 7.8 million cattle and sheep being slaughtered
annually. AND, some 403,000 of the slaughtered cattle are females.

Cattle saughter numbers are high atm because of long term drought and por
farmers finally culling stock after wasting $$$ buying expensive hay to
keep them alive. Then crying porr me to every sucker, govco included.

The concern over the number/high ercentage of female slaughter is that is
is cutting into breeding stock for future production. Domestic meat
prices are not going to drop for a long long time.

Think of it, almost 2,000 times as many cattle and sheep doomed to death
and not a single voice raised. Oh! The Shame!

You've left ot al those vege, four per meal, that also get "slaughtered".
Munch, munch.