LBS and fit question?

Old March 12th 05, 04:17 PM
Ray

Default LBS and fit question?

I'm in the market for a Bianchi Axis and went to a lbs that sells them. He
has a 57cm bike that he'd give me a pretty good price on and told me not to
worry about the fit, he could get it to fit with some adjustments and parts
replacements at the handle bars etc. I'm 5'9 3/4" with a 32" inseam.
Everything I've been reading has suggested that I should have a 55cm bike or
less in the Bianchi Axis. Do you think this guy is just trying to sell this
57 that he already has in stock? Should I be leary of this shop or can he do
what he says he can? I won't be racing it, I just need a good all around
bike and if I'm going to spend this many bucks, I want to at least have it
fit right. I'll take all the opinions and advice that I can get. I'm not
experienced at this.
Ray

Old March 12th 05, 04:54 PM
jj

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:17:45 -0500, "Ray" wrote:

I'm in the market for a Bianchi Axis and went to a lbs that sells them. He
has a 57cm bike that he'd give me a pretty good price on and told me not to
worry about the fit, he could get it to fit with some adjustments and parts
replacements at the handle bars etc. I'm 5'9 3/4" with a 32" inseam.
Everything I've been reading has suggested that I should have a 55cm bike or
less in the Bianchi Axis. Do you think this guy is just trying to sell this
57 that he already has in stock? Should I be leary of this shop or can he do
what he says he can? I won't be racing it, I just need a good all around
bike and if I'm going to spend this many bucks, I want to at least have it
fit right. I'll take all the opinions and advice that I can get. I'm not
experienced at this.
Ray

It's all in how you feel riding the bike. Of course do the standard
measurement. Stand over the top tube in your cycling shoes and see if you
have any space between your groin and the tube. (This will vary if the top
tube is slanted, vs straight, btw. The picture seems to show yours is a
straight top tube design.)

I'm about 3/4" shorter than you and have an inseam of 30.5", and I ride a
56 and feel I could ride a larger bike. The trend has been towards riding
too small a bike, imo. A 57cm bike shouldn't really be too big for you,
imo.

Having said that, it causes me concern that the guy would say 'don't worry
about the fit...' This makes me believe he's more interested in selling
the bike on hand than in fitting you correctly. Not a good sign.

Make him a deal - tell him you'll let him fit you to this bike, but get him
to promise in writing that, if, after a week of riding you don't like the
fit he'll order you a 56cm bike and let you return the 57cm bike..

In fact, since he'd have to re-stock anyway, if you're sure you're buying a
bike, have him order a 56 and test ride both of them. Or...go to another
bike shop that does have a 56 and ride both of them. Make sure you get out
of the saddle and pedal standing and stuff. This can be important. One bike
I tried that seemed to fit me didn't work standing, the saddle was hitting
me in the butt - it was fine on the bike I bought. (the LemondSL vs the
Trek 1000).

I see this is listed on epinions.com as a 'cyclocross bike'. I don't know
how the geometry compares and if that '57cm' would be the same measurement
on that you'd get on a standard Trek 1000. Usually the cyclocross, iirc,
means there more clearance between the ground and bottom bracket. Note that
different bikes are fitted differently - a Lemond Big Sky SL, while made by
Trek might be a totally different fit in the same size as a Trek 1200/1500.

HTH,

jj

Old March 12th 05, 05:19 PM
Arthur Harris

"Ray" wrote:
I'm in the market for a Bianchi Axis and went to a lbs that sells them. He
has a 57cm bike that he'd give me a pretty good price on and told me not
to worry about the fit,

I would start to get skeptical at that point.

he could get it to fit with some adjustments and parts replacements at the
handle bars etc.

That might be ok if you already owned the bike for a few years and were
coming in for a fit. By why start off with a bike that has to be tinkered
with to fit?

I'm 5'9 3/4" with a 32" inseam. Everything I've been reading has suggested
that I should have a 55cm bike or less in the Bianchi Axis.

Here's where it gets tricky. A "55cm" in Brand X may be different than a
"55cm" in Brand Y. And seat tube length isn't even the most important
criteria. Read Sheldon's article about frame sizing:

http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html

Experienced riders have different preferences as to frame size. I happen to
like a frame on the large size. That's also the Rivendell philosophy. Racers
usually like a small frame to get a low, aero position.

Here's the Rivendell pitch:
http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/htm...fposition.html

Top tube length and seat tube angle are probably the most important factors.
Seat tube length tends to take care of itself. But check to see you've got
_some_ standover clearance.

Other important factors (not directly related to fit) include: wheelbase,
steering geometry, tire clearance, etc.

Do you think this guy is just trying to sell this 57 that he already has
in stock?

Maybe. Modern bikes tend to have "proportional" but longish top tubes. The
57cm frame may have you stretched out to much. A shorter stem extension can
mitigate that up to a point. If you like a more upright riding position, the
large frame will make it easier to get the bars up higher. So there are good
and bad points about a larger frame. I personally think most people are
riding frames that are too small (emulating the racer image).

Should I be leary of this shop or can he do what he says he can? I won't
be racing it, I just need a good all around bike and if I'm going to spend
this many bucks, I want to at least have it fit right.

You should keep an open mind. If you'd really prefer the 55cm, have them
order it.

How is the bike as far as tire clearance, gearing, and overall suitablity to
the kind of riding you plan to do?

Art Harris

Old March 12th 05, 07:54 PM
Ray

"jj" wrote in message
[...]

It did. I'm going in Tuesday to try it out (he has to assemble it) and I'm
using your suggestions along with any others I get to make sure it's right.
I called and told him that I'd take it on the condition that it fits right
so we'll see if he gives me the same deal on one that he has to order me in.
Thanks
Ray

jj

Old March 12th 05, 10:07 PM
Ray

"Arthur Harris" wrote in message
"Ray" wrote:
I'm in the market for a Bianchi Axis and went to a lbs that sells them.
He has a 57cm bike that he'd give me a pretty good price on and told me
not to worry about the fit,

I would start to get skeptical at that point.

I did, although still hoping that the guy just knows that bike so well that
he just knows what he's talking about.

he could get it to fit with some adjustments and parts replacements at
the handle bars etc.

That might be ok if you already owned the bike for a few years and were
coming in for a fit. By why start off with a bike that has to be tinkered
with to fit?

Good, then at least I'm not being overly parnoid, which can happen when you
lack some experience. That's why I thought I'd check in here.

I'm 5'9 3/4" with a 32" inseam. Everything I've been reading has
suggested that I should have a 55cm bike or less in the Bianchi Axis.

Here's where it gets tricky. A "55cm" in Brand X may be different than a
"55cm" in Brand Y. And seat tube length isn't even the most important
criteria. Read Sheldon's article about frame sizing:

Excellent info. Added it to my favorite list to refer to.

http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html

Experienced riders have different preferences as to frame size. I happen
to like a frame on the large size. That's also the Rivendell philosophy.
Racers usually like a small frame to get a low, aero position.

Here's the Rivendell pitch:
http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/htm...fposition.html

Same here, excellent info. The lbs had a 58cm assembled when I was there and
I was able to straddle it although there was no room for error if you know
what I mean. Seeing the part about that in this link makes me think the 57
just might be ok but I have to try it with the right shoes on. I think I
would like the frame more on the large size as well as long as I can get a
good fit overall. I intend to put on some miles and I'm not quite the
athlete that I used to be.

I was a runner but as I'm getting older, my knees just can't seem to take
the pounding like they used to. I have an old Schwinn World Sport that I
used last summer and did pretty well with it, progressing to doing some
pretty serious hills. I liked the workout that you get. The World sport gave
me some moments though when I hit some gravel spots, hence the cyclocross.

Top tube length and seat tube angle are probably the most important
factors. Seat tube length tends to take care of itself. But check to see
you've got _some_ standover clearance.

And that's where supposedly he can make it fit me. We'll see. The advice
from those links and from the other posters will be invaluable on Tues. when
I go check it out.

Other important factors (not directly related to fit) include: wheelbase,
steering geometry, tire clearance, etc.

I'll have to do more reading on that stuff but from all the info I could
get, the cyclocross seems to be the best bet and the axis along with some
others seem to be the best choices for the mix of riding that I'll be doing
around here, dirt road, paved road, some gravel, some trails. Probably
mostly paved with gravel patches along the road but a substancial amount of
dirt road, all with hills.

Do you think this guy is just trying to sell this 57 that he already has
in stock?

That's what I was thinking, he wanted to move that one out although it is a
2005 so he probably hasn't had it laying around that long. I just don't know
for sure, the thing that bothers me is changing out parts to make it fit me
plus he mentioned it right off after he looked in the back room. The 58cm I
was looking at was a 2004 holdover and he thought he had a 55 in the back.
Turns out that one was a 2005 and it was the 57cm instead, so he offered me
a decent price on that one since he said he already had it in stock and he
then said don't worry about the fit, I can make it fit you.. The whole thing
seems kind of weird to me. I think I would know what I had in stock on the
higher priced bikes. Again though, it could just be my rookie paranoia.
That's why I'm posting here for the expert advice.

Maybe. Modern bikes tend to have "proportional" but longish top tubes.
The 57cm frame may have you stretched out to much. A shorter stem
extension can mitigate that up to a point. If you like a more upright
riding position, the large frame will make it easier to get the bars up
higher. So there are good and bad points about a larger frame. I
personally think most people are riding frames that are too small
(emulating the racer image).

Should I be leary of this shop or can he do what he says he can? I won't
be racing it, I just need a good all around bike and if I'm going to
spend this many bucks, I want to at least have it fit right.

You should keep an open mind. If you'd really prefer the 55cm, have them
order it.

Yes.

How is the bike as far as tire clearance, gearing, and overall suitablity
to the kind of riding you plan to do?

I read that the gearing is good for what I want to do, sometimes not for
those who race but for me, with the hills and the roads that I have around
me in the northeastern mountains of Pa., it seems like just what I need. I
can do some pretty decent milage on a combination of paved, dirt road,
trail, etc. It took me a month just to get to this decision, incidently
which I used the help of this group to decide. Thanks for the help. It's a
big deal for us rookies. It's tough enough spending this much money on one,
all the while fighting spouses, friends, and relatives who think Walmart has
a better deal . Appreciate it.
Ray
Art Harris

Old March 13th 05, 01:23 AM
RonSonic

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:17:45 -0500, "Ray" wrote:

I'm in the market for a Bianchi Axis and went to a lbs that sells them. He
has a 57cm bike that he'd give me a pretty good price on and told me not to
worry about the fit, he could get it to fit with some adjustments and parts
replacements at the handle bars etc. I'm 5'9 3/4" with a 32" inseam.
Everything I've been reading has suggested that I should have a 55cm bike or
less in the Bianchi Axis. Do you think this guy is just trying to sell this
57 that he already has in stock? Should I be leary of this shop or can he do
what he says he can? I won't be racing it, I just need a good all around
bike and if I'm going to spend this many bucks, I want to at least have it
fit right. I'll take all the opinions and advice that I can get. I'm not
experienced at this.

For years riders wanted as large a frame as they could straddle without racking
themselves. Then everybody had to have the smallest possible frame they could
fit and ended up with two foot long seat posts and stems that looked like a
U-Boat was approaching.

The taller the frame, the more the bars are going to cume up into your hands.
The longer it is the more the tendency to stretch you out.

For your size as described 57 sounds reasonable.
Ron
Old March 13th 05, 01:31 AM
RonSonic

"Ray" wrote:
[...]

Changing parts to get a bike to fit is pretty much standard procedure. Stems
just don't get longer or shorter on their own. I don't know this particular bike
and personal measurements and they wouldn't mean much if I did, but a 57 for a
guy your size seems pretty reasonable. Some will depend on the TT and your
arm/torso length, but usually the proportions work for ya.

It is March and if the nice weather hasn't hit your part of the country yet it
is a good time to go shopping.

Ron
Old March 13th 05, 10:59 PM
David L. Johnson

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:17:45 -0500, Ray wrote:

I'm in the market for a Bianchi Axis and went to a lbs that sells them. He
has a 57cm bike that he'd give me a pretty good price on and told me not to
worry about the fit,

????

he could get it to fit with some adjustments and parts
replacements at the handle bars etc. I'm 5'9 3/4" with a 32" inseam.

In general, I'd say that a 57cm bike would be too large for you. A 55cm
is as big as I would consider for you, and probably smaller. I ride a
55cm and I am 2" taller than you.

Everything I've been reading has suggested that I should have a 55cm
bike or less in the Bianchi Axis. Do you think this guy is just trying
to sell this 57 that he already has in stock?

yeah

Should I be leary of this
shop or can he do what he says he can?

yeah

I won't be racing it, I just need
a good all around bike and if I'm going to spend this many bucks, I want
to at least have it fit right.

Absolutely.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You
_`\(,_ | soon find out the pig likes it!
(_)/ (_) |

Old March 14th 05, 12:25 PM
Art Harris

David L. Johnson wrote:

I ride a 55cm and I am 2" taller than you.

You're 6 ft tall and ride a 55cm? That sounds extremely small to me.
The OP says he's 5' 9-3/4"

Art Harris

Old March 14th 05, 02:51 PM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 04:25:57 -0800, Art Harris wrote:

David L. Johnson wrote:

I ride a 55cm and I am 2" taller than you.

You're 6 ft tall and ride a 55cm? That sounds extremely small to me.
The OP says he's 5' 9-3/4"

I'm not 6' tall, I'm 5' 11-3/4"... OK, 11-1/2. But my 55cm frame has
either a 110 or 100mm stem, a 57 would need probably a 90 or 80, which is
pretty short. My seatpost extension is well within normal limits, and the
stem is nearly all the way in, and my riding position is pretty standard.

I've used a 55cm frame for over 30 years. I don't really get the
Rivendell-type suggestion that you should ride as large a frame as you can
be adjusted to. But each person is different.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Become MicroSoft-free forever. Ask me how.
_`\(,_ |