Terminology

Old March 16th 05, 08:14 AM
Garry Jones

Default Terminology

I am translating the website of a large Swedish cycling event into
English.

In the event there are nine places where you can choose to dismount and
pick up food and drink. But these are more than simple "rest stops" as
you can also get a massage and they have professional mechanics and tons
of spare parts at these places. If you break down on the course one of
the official cars will transport you to the nearest one of these places
for service.

The current English word Swedes use to describe these places is "depot"
because it sounds like and is similar to the correct Swedish word
"depå". However in a search on the Internet I could not find any cycling
event from the English speaking world that calls these places "depots".

So feedback please, what should I call these places? Can I get away with
"depot"? Or is there a better word?

"Rest Stops"
"Service Stations"
"Feeds"
"Feeding Stations"
"Controls"
"Refreshment Stops"

Any other idea?

Controls is probably not right as no one is actually "checked" as in
Audax rides. These are places you can cycle into if you need
refreshments, service or a break, if not, you simply ride on by.

This particular recreational ride advertises itself as the "largest
cycling event in the world". This is in regards to number of
participants (17,000) multiplied by distance (186 miles) of event. Does
anyone know of a larger event anywhere in the world?

Thanks for any answers

Garry Jones
English Cyclist ResIDING in Sweden
Old March 16th 05, 09:14 AM
Zoot Katz

Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:14:26 +0100, ,
Garry Jones wrote:

[...]

Amenities Loci

\snip

If you explain the concept of depot{*} as you have here I'd see no
reason for not using it.

{*} Perhaps with a footnote.
--
zk
Old March 16th 05, 09:14 AM
Francesco Devittori

Garry Jones wrote:
(...)

This particular recreational ride advertises itself as the "largest
cycling event in the world". This is in regards to number of
participants (17,000) multiplied by distance (186 miles) of event. Does
anyone know of a larger event anywhere in the world?

Thanks for any answers

Garry Jones
English Cyclist ResIDING in Sweden

I think "Nove Colli" is the largest event in Italy, and last year had
about 8,000 participants. Distance is 130 or 200 km.
17,000 participants is really impressive!

Francesco
Old March 16th 05, 01:13 PM
Bob Wheeler

The term in English is "Pit stop."

Garry Jones wrote:
[...]

Bob Wheeler --- http://www.bobwheeler.com/
ECHIP, Inc. ---
Randomness comes in bunches.
Old March 16th 05, 01:38 PM
Maggie

Garry Jones wrote:
I am translating the website of a large Swedish cycling event into
English.

In the event there are nine places where you can choose to dismount

and
pick up food and drink. But these are more than simple "rest stops"

as
you can also get a massage and they have professional mechanics and

tons
of spare parts at these places. If you break down on the course one

of
the official cars will transport you to the nearest one of these

places
for service.

The current English word Swedes use to describe these places is

"depot"
because it sounds like and is similar to the correct Swedish word
"dep=E5". However in a search on the Internet I could not find any

[...]

Not to go OT again...(yea, right..pffft)...but that is a great website
you have. I loved the photographs. You look like one of the college
professors I used to drive crazy. He was cute too. ;-)
All Good Things,
Maggie (Always off topic but now riding)

Old March 16th 05, 05:15 PM
Leo Lichtman

"Garry Jones" wrote: (clip) So feedback please, what should I call these
places?(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"Service stations" would be good if it were not for the fact that they
convey the idea of gasoline and service for autos. So, I suggest "Service
depots."

Old March 16th 05, 06:21 PM
Diablo Scott

Garry Jones wrote:
[...]

I second "pit stop", even though that term is usually used in auto races
- it'll be obvious to anyone who reads it what the pit stop is for.
"Depot" sounds more like a train station, but isn't too bad.

--
My bike blog:
http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/
Old March 16th 05, 06:49 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Garry Jones writes:

Any other idea?

How about 'way stations'?

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old March 16th 05, 09:08 PM
Per Elmsäter

Garry Jones wrote:
[...]

Why not call it DEPÅ with a footnote attached. This way the whole world soon
will know what one is. Actually everybody already knows now that you've
posted this. In no time you'll see DEPÅ stops at all centennial rides in the
U.S. Just like they have all these ombudsmen
Another good reason to use the Swedish word is that the English speaking
participants then will be able to recognise the road signs that announce the
DEPÅ.

--
Perre
I gave up on SPAM and redirected it to hotmail instead.

Old March 17th 05, 03:26 AM
bbaka

Diablo Scott wrote:
Garry Jones wrote:

[...]

I call it a tree or bush. California won't put out the money, and any
business expects you to buy something.
Bill Baka
Bill Baka