Installing own fork?

Old August 10th 03, 10:13 AM
eug k

Default Installing own fork?

hi,

I've got a Barracuda MTB whose fork I'd like to swap. I've got a
RockShox Judy TT uncut fork and was wondering, is it a task that
should be left to a shop? It seems easy enough, but knowing murphy's
law, are there any little things that would get in the way?

Basically all it looks like I have to do is cut the fork (just where
the stem ends?), and get the long metal bolt that goes through the
centre. Is that right?

Anyone knows approx how much it would cost to get it done at a store?

thanks

--
is a valid email address. Don't remove anything!
Old August 10th 03, 01:35 PM
Dallas Goldburg

BEFORE you cut make sure you thead on the top headset so that AFTER you cut
you can unthread it and then use it

Mistake 1 is always when they forget this and the thread is F#$@& before it
even been used.

Anyway thats what it was like when i did it 15+ yars ago as a kid

oh

go to a shop too if its only $20 ( new sharp hacksaw blade would cost you
$6-10)

Dallas Goldburg
Mouse in the House

When in doubt, jiggle the cable.

"Colnagodream" wrote in message
well i would say if you are unsure take it to your LBS.....I had a bike

done
about 4 weeks ago and it cost $20.....

$20 well spent i reckon

Webby

Old August 10th 03, 05:45 PM
Jose Rizal

eug k:

hi,

I've got a Barracuda MTB whose fork I'd like to swap. I've got a
RockShox Judy TT uncut fork and was wondering, is it a task that
should be left to a shop? It seems easy enough, but knowing murphy's
law, are there any little things that would get in the way?

Basically all it looks like I have to do is cut the fork (just where
the stem ends?), and get the long metal bolt that goes through the
centre. Is that right?

Anyone knows approx how much it would cost to get it done at a store?

thanks

It's more straightforward than you might think. Get a pipe cutter fron
your local hardware store (won't cost much more than about $10), or if
you trust your skills to saw the steerer tube square, use a hacksaw.

Make sure you fit the fork first before cutting anything, ie put it on
with the headset and stem (and any spacers). If you're not using
spacers now, I recommend you allow for at least a 10mm spacer on top of
the stem so that if you decide to change stems later on, you can fit a
different stem which may have a larger-sized steerer clamp. With all
these in place, mark the fork steerer at the point from where it sticks
out, take it off, then cut it about 3mm BELOW where you marked it. This
is so when you fit it back on after cutting, the steerer tube will be
about 3mm below the stem steerer clamp.

Take care removing the headset crown race from the old fork, and you can
use an appropriately-sized copper or PVC pipe to push it on the new fork
crown. You can even use a large shift spanner to press it down.

If you're using the old headset star-fangled nut, take it off by pushing
it down the old fork tube until it comes out of the bottom of the crown.
Buying a new one is better.

Fit the new fork, star-fangled nut, stem and any spacers, and tighten
the headset bolt _only until_ no play is evident on the bearings (put
the front brakes on and gently push the bike forward and back, while
putting your fingers between the headtube and headset to feel for any
play). Do not overtighten.

The advantage of doing it yourself is the new skill you acquire, and the
pride of having done it yourself. On the other hand, if you can't be
bothered, just take it to a bike shop.

Old August 11th 03, 03:18 AM
tony f

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:35:53 +1000, "Dallas Goldburg"
@au wrote:

BEFORE you cut make sure you thead on the top headset so that AFTER you cut
you can unthread it and then use it

Likely to be threadless style these days - not always, mind you, but
threadless is the current "standard" for mtb forks. Dallas is still
right for threaded forks, I just think the Judy TT will be threadless.

Tony F
www.thefathippy.com

Old August 11th 03, 04:55 AM
Andy G

well, have the thread cutting tool in place before you cut, assuming that it
is a 'die' tool, so that when you rethread after cutting to the CORRECT
length and SQUARE you are able to thread without making a mess.

the $20.00 LBS sounds good.

Old August 11th 03, 12:33 PM
eug k

Jose Rizal wrote:
eug k:

[....]

I've got a Barracuda MTB whose fork I'd like to swap. I've got a
RockShox Judy TT uncut fork and was wondering, is it a task that

[....]

It's more straightforward than you might think. Get a pipe cutter fron
your local hardware store (won't cost much more than about $10), or if
you trust your skills to saw the steerer tube square, use a hacksaw.

[...]

Take care removing the headset crown race from the old fork, and you can
use an appropriately-sized copper or PVC pipe to push it on the new fork
crown. You can even use a large shift spanner to press it down.

[...]

The advantage of doing it yourself is the new skill you acquire, and the
pride of having done it yourself. On the other hand, if you can't be
bothered, just take it to a bike shop.

Thanks heaps for taking the time to type all that.. I was gonna go do it
today, then suddenly decided to just send it in as a pipe cutter isn't
that cheap here.

The local bike store says that it'll cost $20-$30 depending on what needs
to be done. Seeing that it'll probably cost around the same price to do
it myself and that I won't be cutting pipes anytime soon, i decided to send
it in. I'll miss the pride of saying i did it myself, but oh well!

--
is a valid email address. Don't remove anything!