cycling round the Cherbourg peninsula

Old February 25th 04, 12:00 PM
Paul

Default cycling round the Cherbourg peninsula

I am planning a 3 day cycle tour round the Cherbourg peninsula in May,
starting and finishing in Cherbourg and staying overnight in Chambres
d'Hotes. Any suggestions for routes, stopovers, etc.?
Old February 25th 04, 02:34 PM
nobody760

Paul there is a cracking hill going out of Cherbourg!

Have a look at this Hotel group - its cheap and cheerful - my pal and I use
them - works out cheaper than a YHA if there are two of you!

They are in Cherbourg, St. Lo, Avranches, St. Malo and Fougere and loadsa
other towns all over France, they tend to be on Industrial Estates out of
the main town but thats no problem when you have got the bike.

Good trip.

http://www.hotelformule1.com/formule1/

Old February 25th 04, 02:53 PM
Michael MacClancy

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:34:38 -0000, nobody760 wrote:

Paul there is a cracking hill going out of Cherbourg!

Have a look at this Hotel group - its cheap and cheerful - my pal and I use
them - works out cheaper than a YHA if there are two of you!

They are in Cherbourg, St. Lo, Avranches, St. Malo and Fougere and loadsa
other towns all over France, they tend to be on Industrial Estates out of
the main town but thats no problem when you have got the bike.

Good trip.

http://www.hotelformule1.com/formule1/

Good tip but if you'd rather have an ensuite Etaps are better.

http://www.etaphotel.com/etaphotel/index.html

--
Michael MacClancy
Random putdown - "A modest little person, with much to be modest about."-
Old February 26th 04, 10:19 PM
David Off

John Tomlinson wrote:

Favourite place is the ile Tatihou, a small island just off the coast
from St Vaast.

St Vaast is nice in itself, although it has been a little overrun by the
English but the probably feel at home. Not somewhere to cycle when it
is too windy.

Old February 26th 04, 11:50 PM
sdorrity

Paul wrote:
I am planning a 3 day cycle tour round the Cherbourg peninsula in May,
starting and finishing in Cherbourg and staying overnight in Chambres
d'Hotes. Any suggestions for routes, stopovers, etc.?

As others have noted the west coast is the craggier of the two but ver
scenic (let us know when your there and I'll give you a wave, I can se
a good chunk of the west coast from my office) lots of nice villages an
towns all around the peninsula. Ste maire eglis the town where th
american paras landed is worth a look but don't try and eat a picnic i
the grounds of the museum, they'll chuck you out

as ever the Logis de France "chain" is good value. If you get as far a
Pontorson the Logis "DE LA TOUR BRETTE" is great, the owner is a cyclis
I am sure and always looks after you well he kept plying us with extr
pasta "pour la velo" and nicking bread from other tables for us

I'll be doming some day trips over the summer around Diellette which i
a nice place if you ignore the nuclear plant round the corner, 'lookin
forward to that

Have fu

Steve

-

Age doesn't stop 70-somethings who are cycling devotees Garrison Hilliard Techniques 25 March 25th 04 02:37 AM
FAQ? Just zis Guy, you know? UK 18 October 1st 03 01:02 PM
Cycling in Paris part 3 wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX UK 0 September 4th 03 09:59 PM