preventing tyre dry rot

Old July 10th 03, 06:20 PM
willfcc

Default preventing tyre dry rot

Keep them in a dark, cool, place. I've known road racers in the past
that kept them under their mattress.

--
willfcc - I always wear my helmet.

http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albun56

Will

willfcc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/664

Old July 11th 03, 08:06 AM
jagur

thanx Will,do you work for the FCC?

there are about 15 tyres under my mattress now,what a great idea.i cant
wait till the wife finds out,shes gonna think WTF?

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-searching for the real one wheel deal,the one that wont but will...
all i ask is one rotation,on this vision of singular creation...-[image:
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/al...luestripe.gif]

Old July 11th 03, 08:34 AM
bbraf

jagur wrote:
*ive got alot of spare tyres hanging around.
whats the best way to preserve tyres? is there anything more to it
other than keeping them out of the sun and other extremes? *

Hi,

apart from dark & cool, you should store your tyres lying . If they hang
down from the ceiling, they might start to deform quite a bit. After
that you might either have a hard time putting them on the rim, or you
won't be able to ride in a straight line.

--
Cheers,
Franz

--
bbraf - Unicycling the Swiss Alpes one day
bbraf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/404

Old July 11th 03, 03:58 PM
willfcc

jagur wrote:
*thanx Will,do you work for the FCC?

there are about 15 tyres under my mattress now,what a great idea.i
cant wait till the wife finds out,shes gonna think WTF? *

Heck, Jagur, you may eventually be able to eliminate the mattress all
together!

And, copy that Whiskey Tango Foxtrot from the better half. Negatory on
the FCC, good buddy! That comes from my rating and rank when I was in
the US Navy: *F*ire *C*ontrolman, *C*hief Petty Officer.

Old July 11th 03, 04:57 PM
rhysling

jagur wrote:
*
whats the best way to preserve tyres? *

If you can't actually get them into the mason jar, try spreading
preserves directly onto the the tread, lick off any excess.

Orange marmalade- ummmmmm, good.

-Christopher

--
rhysling - Pontificating Vigilantly

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that
brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to
passover me and through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the
inner eye to see it's path. Where the fear has gone there will be
nothing. Only I will remain." -- The Bene Gesserit Litany of Fear

"Huh... I Wonder who this -Bene Gesserit- guy is, anyway? Sounds
Yidish...." -Me, steeling the quote from Lewis's signature
rhysling's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/411