Grrr. Temporary traffic lights.

Old June 12th 08, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin[_2_]

Default Grrr. Temporary traffic lights.

I had a lovely ride into work this morning, a reasonable day at work,
followed by a lovely ride home this evening (until the last mile).

For about the last three months there have been one or two sets of
temporary traffic lights. As I don't consider there is enough room to
safely be overtaken, I always take the primary pos. through these, and
on the way home revert back to the secondary when there is room to be
overtaken.

Tonight as I approached, there was another cyclists kerb hugging in
front of me, and a car or two squeezed past him with little room.
The car (W481BFC) driver behind me then started honking his horn. When I
looked behind the passenger started pointing at the kerb. I carried on
an the driver lent on his horn. I then stopped to see what the problem
was and he started yelling that I should be on the left.

Anyway this was repeated through the second set of lights, and after
W481BFC passed me he started yelling "Do you want to be run over."

One group of idiots spoilt the whole day.
Old June 12th 08, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
_[_2_]

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 22:17:11 +0100, Martin wrote:

[...]

Camera, with flash, tends to shut them up.
Old June 12th 08, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 12 Jun, 22:17, Martin wrote:
I had a lovely ride into work this morning, a reasonable day at work,
followed by a lovely ride home this evening (until the last mile).

The car (W481BFC) driver behind me then started honking his horn. When I
looked behind the passenger started pointing at the kerb.

I must admit if people start hooting at me I just assume that it's
friends who have recognised me before I've had a chance to spot
them, so turn round to give them a broad grin and a cheerful wave.

One group of idiots spoilt the whole day.

Hopefully getting home to coffee/tea/beer/dinner (delete as
appropriate) raised the tone a little again.

Old June 13th 08, 12:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin[_2_]

_ wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 22:17:11 +0100, Martin wrote:

Anyway this was repeated through the second set of lights, and after
W481BFC passed me he started yelling "Do you want to be run over."

One group of idiots spoilt the whole day.

Camera, with flash, tends to shut them up.

I will have to try that one day.

I have uploaded the video, unedited to youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkqbsT2nOy8

Turn the sound off if you don't like swearing (me unfortunately).
I think the car was further back at through the second set of lights, as
the horn is not clear.

The idiot would have saved at most 1s by passing me.
Old June 13th 08, 06:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin Blackburn[_2_]

Martin wrote:

I have uploaded the video, unedited to youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkqbsT2nOy8

Turn the sound off if you don't like swearing (me unfortunately).
I think the car was further back at through the second set of lights, as
the horn is not clear.

The idiot would have saved at most 1s by passing me.

I don't think he'd have even saved that. With the other road works and
the general traffic speed you caught up to the car in front, he'd have
done no better than a bike's length had he passed you.

He did that left turn at the T-junction very badly!

Colin
Old June 13th 08, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Morons like that are unsuited to driving and should be prevented from
doing so IMHO.

I tend to completely ignore idiots like this nowadays. I am worried
that the situation could escalate. I did swear profusely the other at
a driver of mini who overtook me so close that his wing mirror went
under my handlebars. Unfortunately it was close to a school so I
guess a lot of small children learned some new words.

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Old June 13th 08, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Chris Smith

Martin wrote:

_ wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 22:17:11 +0100, Martin wrote:

The idiot would have saved at most 1s by passing me.

Not even that - he'd just catch up with the car he would have been
behind anyway - which indeed you did too, at the next set of temp Lights.

What an eedjit.

However - I think I probably would have just turned, smiled and waved on
the assumption it was someone I knew, rather than sound off at the mouth
- juuuust in case.
Old June 13th 08, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nat

On 13 Jun, 11:33, Chris Smith wrote:
Martin wrote:

_ wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 22:17:11 +0100, Martin wrote:

The idiot would have saved at most 1s by passing me.

Not even that - he'd just catch up with the car he would have been
behind anyway - which indeed you did too, at the next set of temp Lights.

What an eedjit.

However - I think I probably would have just turned, smiled and waved on
the assumption it was someone I knew, rather than sound off at the mouth
- juuuust in case.

I do the annoying thing of simply pretending I haven't noticed at all!
(I do the same in my relationships too)
If it is a four-by-four and a bloke is driving, I tend to waggle my
little finger. They know exactly what I am saying!

Old June 13th 08, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

Martin wrote:

_ wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 22:17:11 +0100, Martin wrote:

Anyway this was repeated through the second set of lights, and after
W481BFC passed me he started yelling "Do you want to be run over."

One group of idiots spoilt the whole day.

Camera, with flash, tends to shut them up.

I will have to try that one day.

I have uploaded the video, unedited to youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkqbsT2nOy8

Turn the sound off if you don't like swearing (me unfortunately).
I think the car was further back at through the second set of lights, as
the horn is not clear.

The idiot would have saved at most 1s by passing me.

Yep, you should never shout swear words in an argument. You were correct
to stop and ask what the problem was. You shouldn't use any obscure
technical terms, such as primary position. You should state clearly that
you have a right to use the road and that you would let him pass as soon
as it was safe for you to do so. You should apologise for upsetting him
but insist again firmly that you have as much right to use the road as
him. You should state that him blowing the horn is illegal and very
distressing to you. You should then ask him to stop blowing his horn so
that you can proceed. If he refuses spend another minute or two trying
to reason with him before getting off you bike and out of the way.

Now if you are feeling sick and annoyed by my drivel you can imagine how
he would be feeling while you were holding him up. But you will have
played to the crowd and will have a good tape for evidential purposes.

If you do need to swear at him do it up close and smiling, make sure
only he can hear.

Traffic lights Tom Crispin UK 48 July 24th 07 04:34 PM
Traffic lights TimC Australia 5 February 6th 06 11:57 AM
Temporary Traffic Lights! Chris UK 9 October 31st 05 03:36 AM
Stuck On Red (Traffic Lights) Chuck Recumbent Biking 8 July 6th 04 01:22 AM
How many cars run traffic lights? Robert Dole General 66 December 12th 03 11:15 PM