Older recreational mountain biker needs new bike

Old March 11th 07, 07:18 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Simon Wyndham

Default Older recreational mountain biker needs new bike

Hi,

I've got an old 1992 Marin Palisades which I dug out of the garage in
the last year. Still covered with the mud it was caked in when I last
rode it amazingly it still functions okay. Though after trying to source
new parts and finding that half the stuff these days is incompatible -
from brake blocks that don't reach the rims, to no suspension forks
being available for that dia of frame - I have decided that the best
thing is to get a new bike.

Can't make up my mind whether to go the full suspension route or
hardtail. I'm looking at something in the region of £900-£1400. I'm no
extreme rider, but I do ride on some pretty rocky terrain sometimes. So
really I need a bike that is a good all rounder.

I have read a few times that full suspension bikes need a lot of
maintenance. What does this entail, and are they really that fussy to
own? With regard to how a bike handles, it is worth going for a bike
with a system similar to the Scott bikes which can lock off the rear
suspension?

Simon
Old March 11th 07, 07:36 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Gooty

ScoTT Genius all the way here.

Bloody brilliant bikes, The Shock is a Arse to set up, but then a joy to
ride. Maintenance is not that bad , just keep moving bits clean .

To be fair , most full sus bikes a very good nowadays, with lockout ( or pro
pedal) on most

Enjoy

Old March 11th 07, 08:47 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Simon Wyndham

Hi Gooty,

ScoTT Genius all the way here.

The Scott's look really good. I've got a bit of a soft spot for the
Marins. Does this Quad rear suspension thing do what it says on the tin
(ie does it actually make a difference?)

Simon
Old March 11th 07, 11:50 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Devs

In message , Simon Wyndham
writes
[...]

What kind of riding are you aiming to do? This older mountain biker just
got a Kona Dawg Primo and I am well impressed with it. I do a lot of XC
style riding for fitness on natural trails but also North shore and
jumps on my local purpose built trails. I'm 16.5 stone and it has
handled it all perfectly so far. I would go full sus, it's better for
your back and joints and you can get a very good deal for 1400 quid. The
online dealers are still doing 05 and 06 bikes at massive discounts.
--
Devs
"Punchdown Pete the old Kroner"
Old March 12th 07, 01:04 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Simon Wyndham

Hi,

What kind of riding are you aiming to do? This older mountain biker just

All round stuff really. I need something that I can potter about on, as
well as something I can take up a Welsh mountain. But I also need room
to be able to add panniers for my photography trips too.

I won't be performing huge jumps and stuff. Not unless I rediscover the
confidence on a bike that I used to have when I was a teenager anyway!
;-) Basically something I can use to do horse work but also something
that I could push a bit without it falling apart or shaking me apart on
the really rough stuff.

handled it all perfectly so far. I would go full sus, it's better for
your back and joints and you can get a very good deal for 1400 quid. The
online dealers are still doing 05 and 06 bikes at massive discounts.

Yes, I think full suspension is definitely the way to go. Though the
thing that still keeps cropping up is how much power loss on uphills
there are? I can't seem to find full specs, but how many of these bikes
allow the rear suspension to be locked off easily without having to
dismount?

I have also discovered a thing called the Rohloff Speedhub. From the
reviews I've seen it is expensive, but worth it. The drivetrain on my
old Marin is a bit knackered from all the mud plugging it has done. Has
anyone had any experience of the Rohloff, and which bikes it might be
most suitable for (since some require additional chain guides etc)?

Simon
Old March 12th 07, 03:25 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Devs

In message , Simon Wyndham
writes
Yes, I think full suspension is definitely the way to go. Though the
thing that still keeps cropping up is how much power loss on uphills
there are? I can't seem to find full specs, but how many of these bikes
allow the rear suspension to be locked off easily without having to
dismount?

I hear lots of raving about i-drives, the Epic system and pro pedal
damping. To tell you the truth I went from a hard tail to full sus and
if anything my uphill improved. You can pick a straighter line and you
don't seem to lose traction as often.
Old March 13th 07, 02:07 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Simon Wyndham

I hear lots of raving about i-drives, the Epic system and pro pedal
damping. To tell you the truth I went from a hard tail to full sus and
if anything my uphill improved. You can pick a straighter line and you
don't seem to lose traction as often.

Sounds good.

So what are the main differences between the ways the different
manufacturers rear suspension works (beyond the hype)? What sort of
maintenance is needed? I notice that Marin offers a lifetime guarantee
on their pivot bearings. But what about the shock itself? What sort of
life expectancy do these things have?

Simon
Old March 13th 07, 04:31 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Devs

In message , Simon Wyndham
writes
Sounds good.

So what are the main differences between the ways the different
manufacturers rear suspension works (beyond the hype)? What sort of
maintenance is needed? I notice that Marin offers a lifetime guarantee
on their pivot bearings. But what about the shock itself? What sort of
life expectancy do these things have?

This is territory beyond my experience I'm afraid. I'm sure someone
better qualified will chip in.