Landis' aerobars

Old June 5th 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Landis' aerobars

Here's how Landis set up his aerobars:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...phine06-pg-012

For comparison, here's Menchov:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...phine06-pg-009

Old June 5th 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

"Robert Chung" wrote in message
Here's how Landis set up his aerobars:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...phine06-pg-012

For comparison, here's Menchov:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...phine06-pg-009

Landis set his up in a wind tunnel. Mechov probably set them up from looking
at photographs.

Old June 5th 06, 07:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

In article . net,
"Tom Kunich" wrote:

"Robert Chung" wrote in message
Here's how Landis set up his aerobars:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...?id=/photos/20
06/jun06/dauphinelibere06/dauphinelibere060/Dauphine06-pg-012

For comparison, here's Menchov:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...?id=/photos/20
06/jun06/dauphinelibere06/dauphinelibere060/Dauphine06-pg-009

Landis set his up in a wind tunnel. Mechov probably set them up from looking
at photographs.

What I notice from those shots (and Landis has used pretty much this
position all year) is that Floyd has a remarkably low frontal area.

I'm not going to google up the link, but Landis has said that his
position is partly a result of UCI rules preventing him from using the
now-popular flat-bar position, roughly demonstrated by Menchov (I think
he's doing it wrong).

I believe the core of the problem is that Landis would not be able to
comfortably get out and flat with his arms without moving his saddle
illegally far forward. Despite that, he gets very good aero results from
his position, which looks like a UCI-legal Obree "mantis" to me.

Old June 5th 06, 08:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Tom Kunich wrote:
"Robert Chung" wrote in message
Here's how Landis set up his aerobars:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...phine06-pg-012

For comparison, here's Menchov:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...phine06-pg-009

Landis set his up in a wind tunnel. Menchov probably set them up from looking
at photographs.

No, all ProTour teams do wind tunnel tests these days
http://www.tno.nl/industrie_en_techn...indt/index.xml

Jenko

Old June 5th 06, 10:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Jenko wrote:

No, all ProTour teams do wind tunnel tests these days

Dumbass -

It's about ****ing time they did.

Does this include T-Mobile, or is Ullrich still going old school?

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Old June 5th 06, 01:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in message
ups.com...
Jenko wrote:

No, all ProTour teams do wind tunnel tests these days

Dumbass -

It's about ****ing time they did.

Does this include T-Mobile, or is Ullrich still going old school?

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Can't speak for T-Mob, but I have a picture from 1988 of the West German TTT
squad using Porsche's wind tunnel, so it's not a German thing.

Old June 5th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Jenko wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:
Landis set his up in a wind tunnel. Menchov probably set them up from looking
at photographs.

No, all ProTour teams do wind tunnel tests these days
http://www.tno.nl/industrie_en_techn...indt/index.xml

I designed and built a wind tunnel for small components when I was
working at a company designing flow detectors. So I have a little
experience with airflow and detection. I've seen three photographs now
of the Rabobank guys and unless those photographs were purposely staged
to show the wrong sort of positions, I can't see how those positions
could possibly result in good aero results. The open chest area in
particular has been cited in articles about aero positions as greatly
increasing drag. That's why Landis uses the tilted up bars to close
that area up.

Old June 5th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Tom Kunich wrote:
I designed and built a wind tunnel for small components when I was
working at a company designing flow detectors. So I have a little
experience with airflow and detection. I've seen three photographs now
of the Rabobank guys and unless those photographs were purposely staged
to show the wrong sort of positions, I can't see how those positions
could possibly result in good aero results. The open chest area in
particular has been cited in articles about aero positions as greatly
increasing drag. That's why Landis uses the tilted up bars to close
that area up.

Why would someone need a wind tunnel to tell them that?
"Hmmm. How about this - let's create a big pocket against the broadest
surface to block air flow."
"Good idea!"

Old June 5th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

I believe the core of the problem is that Landis would not be able to
comfortably get out and flat with his arms without moving his saddle
illegally far forward.

dumbass,

his (effective) saddle position IS far forward. there is a rule that
limits how far ahead of the bike the extensions may reach, if he
dropped them vertical, the way most riders have them, they would reach
out too far.

Old June 5th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

I've seen three photographs now
of the Rabobank guys and unless those photographs were purposely staged
to show the wrong sort of positions, I can't see how those positions
could possibly result in good aero results.

Rasmussen (also Rabobank) uses a position like Landis:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...ikes4/IMG_0469