Jeremy Vine stopped from cycling

Old September 2nd 09, 07:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

Default Jeremy Vine stopped from cycling

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...by-police.html

-----QUOTE-----

Speaking on Ken Bruce's BBC Radio 2 show, Vine admitted he felt
"slightly abashed" after being stopped by the officer and had not
realised he had been doing anything wrong.

He said he had been having a family picnic in the London park at the
weekend - and before being spoken to, he had explained to his five
year-old daughter that the policewoman was there to look for bad
people.

The award-winning news reporter, who also has a Radio 2 programme, is
known for his presenting work on Panorama and Newsnight.

He said that after the picnic: "We get back on our bikes and then we
get stopped. We're not allowed to cycle there... I had no idea.

"She (the policewoman) said: 'It is an offence' and I was very
apologetic.

"I said: 'I didn't see the sign' and she said: 'Well you should have
done'.

"We all had to climb off and walk a mile. Meanwhile, everyone's
bombing past us on their bikes."

He continued: "I didn't know it was wrong I should stress... I do
believe in being law abiding... Fair enough, if that's the rule,
that's the rule."

Vine added: "The embarrassing thing is that I do the whole lecture to
my daughter about this is what the police are for, to catch bad
people, and it turns out I'm one of them. So she's now totally
confused."

-----END QUOTE-----
Old September 2nd 09, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

Tom Crispin wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...by-police.html

-----QUOTE-----

Speaking on Ken Bruce's BBC Radio 2 show, Vine admitted he felt
"slightly abashed" after being stopped by the officer and had not
realised he had been doing anything wrong.
He said that after the picnic: "We get back on our bikes and then we
get stopped. We're not allowed to cycle there... I had no idea.
"We all had to climb off and walk a mile. Meanwhile, everyone's
bombing past us on their bikes."

-----END QUOTE-----

Another case of a regulation which does little to improve anyone's
safety against those who are the real danger, but which inconveniences,
burdens and removes innocent and harmless pleasures from the majority of
"normal", safe, conscientious and generally law-abiding citizens.

Our law books are stuffed with them: road laws (probably the most
excessive), motor vehicle laws, alcohol laws, recreational drug laws,
shooting laws, dog laws, ...

--
Matt B
Old September 2nd 09, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 08:24:45 +0100, Matt B
wrote:

Another case of a regulation which does little to improve anyone's
safety against those who are the real danger, but which inconveniences,
burdens and removes innocent and harmless pleasures from the majority of
"normal", safe, conscientious and generally law-abiding citizens.

Motoring cannot be considered a 'safe' activity. Not only to
motorists kill themselves be the score every year, but they also kill
dozens of pedestrians and cyclists.

I seem to recall that motoring is the biggest single cause of
unnatural death in the UK.
Old September 2nd 09, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adam Lea[_2_]

wrote:

Another case of a regulation which does little to improve anyone's
safety against those who are the real danger, but which
inconveniences, burdens and removes innocent and harmless pleasures
from the majority of "normal", safe, conscientious and generally
law-abiding citizens.

Motoring cannot be considered a 'safe' activity. Not only to
motorists kill themselves be the score every year, but they also kill
dozens of pedestrians and cyclists.

I seem to recall that motoring is the biggest single cause of
unnatural death in the UK.

According to this article it is heart and circulatory disease, killing about
208,000 people per year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/25...t-attacks.html

I must admit I am unsure why this is classed as unnatural death, but if if
is, then motor vehicle deaths pale into insignificance by comparison.

The bad thing about motor vehicle incidents is that it is often not the
perpetrator that bears the brunt of their stupidity, but some innocent third
party.

Old September 2nd 09, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
A.Lee

wrote:

Another case of a regulation which does little to improve anyone's
safety against those who are the real danger, but which inconveniences,
burdens and removes innocent and harmless pleasures from the majority of
"normal", safe, conscientious and generally law-abiding citizens.

Motoring cannot be considered a 'safe' activity. Not only to
motorists kill themselves be the score every year, but they also kill
dozens of pedestrians and cyclists.

I seem to recall that motoring is the biggest single cause of
unnatural death in the UK.

That would be after drinking and smoking related illnesses, then the
fatties who die early.
(apologies for taking the troll bait)

Alan.
Old September 2nd 09, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Sep 2, 8:53*am, Tom Crispin
wrote:

I seem to recall that motoring is the biggest single cause of
unnatural death in the UK.

It's the biggest single cause of accidental death in children, and
consistently has the highest severity ratio of any cause of accidental
death, but the major causes of death and life-years lost are still
diseases, congenital and otherwise. Of course if drivers cycled all
journeys under two miles we would expect to see those causes of
mortality reducing as well...
--
Guy
Old September 2nd 09, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
david lloyd

"Adam Lea" wrote in message
news
wrote:

[...]

OK, getting back on topic, which park was this, and was the policewoman
right or was she just making it up as she went along?

I seem to recall a move to overturn the no-cycling policy in parks, in
general.

Old September 2nd 09, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keitht

wrote:

Another case of a regulation which does little to improve anyone's
safety against those who are the real danger, but which inconveniences,
burdens and removes innocent and harmless pleasures from the majority of
"normal", safe, conscientious and generally law-abiding citizens.

Motoring cannot be considered a 'safe' activity. Not only to
motorists kill themselves be the score every year, but they also kill
dozens of pedestrians and cyclists.

I seem to recall that motoring is the biggest single cause of
unnatural death in the UK.

That would be after drinking and smoking related illnesses, then the
fatties who die early.
(apologies for taking the troll bait)

Alan.

Hmm, need to differentiate between self-inflicted (long suicide) and
third-party. Though a fair number of dead drivers will be caused by
self-inflicted - whether through being drunk or just going too fast.

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old September 2nd 09, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

wrote:

Another case of a regulation which does little to improve anyone's
safety against those who are the real danger, but which inconveniences,
burdens and removes innocent and harmless pleasures from the majority of
"normal", safe, conscientious and generally law-abiding citizens.

Motoring cannot be considered a 'safe' activity. Not only to
motorists kill themselves be the score every year, but they also kill
dozens of pedestrians and cyclists.

Motoring /is/ inherently safe. The problems of safety is a result of
the way in which it has been regulated and the "facilities" provided to
make it "safer".

This is self evident because in places where the rules and regulations
have effectively been removed or suspended, serious accidents have
stopped happening.

I seem to recall that motoring is the biggest single cause of
unnatural death in the UK.

I think it is second to "home" accidents, but don't you think it is
about time that we asked ourselves why we put up which such a dangerous
provision and start looking at the systemic causes rather than blaming
the operators?

--
Matt B
Old September 2nd 09, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ace[_3_]

On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 09:11:15 +0100, "Adam Lea"
wrote:

Tom Crispin wrote:

I seem to recall that motoring is the biggest single cause of
unnatural death in the UK.

According to this article it is heart and circulatory disease, killing about
208,000 people per year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/25...t-attacks.html

I must admit I am unsure why this is classed as unnatural death,

It's not. Just poor journalism.

Have you ever been fined or stopped for pavement cycling? bornfree UK 69 February 10th 08 01:52 AM
Jeremy bloody Vine Paul Boyd UK 22 March 6th 07 07:35 PM
Jeremy Vine - Radio 2 NOW Paul Boyd UK 5 August 2nd 06 08:36 AM
Jeremy Vine TODAY wafflycat UK 19 June 23rd 06 06:53 PM
Vine forum Just zis Guy, you know? UK 3 November 12th 04 08:34 PM