Stainless steel fasteners

Old January 19th 05, 05:13 PM
nobody

Default Stainless steel fasteners

Hello.

Most of the fasteners [cap-head hex screws] on my bike appear to be
plated steel, and after a few loosenings and tightenings which have
damaged the plate, rust is fast making inroads.

Am I asking for trouble ( eg. sudden complete failure of the
handlebar clamp) if I replace the fastenings with stainless steel
equivalents?

advTHANKSance.
Old January 19th 05, 05:51 PM
Dave Thompson

nobody wrote:
Hello.

Most of the fasteners [cap-head hex screws] on my bike appear to be
plated steel, and after a few loosenings and tightenings which have
damaged the plate, rust is fast making inroads.

Am I asking for trouble ( eg. sudden complete failure of the
handlebar clamp) if I replace the fastenings with stainless steel
equivalents?

advTHANKSance.

Not at all, it's a good idea. The fasteners on your bike most likely are
metric ,and it makes it easier if you take a sample of each one you need
with you to a *good* hardware store. A dab of grease on the threads before
installation will prevent electrolosis and make for easier removal when
required.

Old January 19th 05, 07:38 PM
Werehatrack

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:13:17 +0000, nobody may
have said:

Hello.

Most of the fasteners [cap-head hex screws] on my bike appear to be
plated steel, and after a few loosenings and tightenings which have
damaged the plate, rust is fast making inroads.

Am I asking for trouble ( eg. sudden complete failure of the
handlebar clamp) if I replace the fastenings with stainless steel
equivalents?

As long as they're of reasonably good quality, no. Some of them are a
bit soft, and may tend to have problems with the hex recesses
wallowing out more easily than a good steel fastener would. However,
most of the stainless screws on the market are of a better quality
than a lot of what's used in production on bikes, so this is unlikely
to be an issue by comparison. What you've got now may very well be
softer.

Old January 19th 05, 09:06 PM

there are hardware store then there are hardware stores stocking
fasteners then there are fastener(bolt/nut/washer/screw) stores. If you
live in a metro area take a look at internet service MAPQUEST
www.mapquest.com/ for hardware and fasteners stores.
Marine hardware stocks quality stainless: like the man sez some SS
comes in grade 2.5. trick or treat!
an alternative is a linseed coating. linseed is a lasting wax and
thread locker from the flax plant:
www.vitacost.com/science/hn/Supp/Flaxseed.htm
consider blue loctite from Walmart auto as a grease on threads
substitute or linseed on threads for axle nuts/axle threads.
loctite does not setup with a stainless/stainless or
stainless/non-ferrous thread-bolt surface. what stainless-ferrous does?
maybeless than the specs for Fe/Fe

Old January 21st 05, 05:01 PM

grease and torque it down
then DNF!

grease vs loctite is a recurrying rubharb
that degenerates into a petro vs lithium vs soap grease vs. graphite vs
synth no actually the synth people tend to be elsewhere then this
stimuleates four-five trogs from the boons west of kansas to show up
with used autotrans oil on their chains then before you can say
campagnogalow the total tech group is filled with escappes from the
state mental hospital suffering from skin diseases.

naval jelly? werehat's pulling your penis.
wire brush wire brush
ifn ya can't brush it off, throw it into the can
unless its off a '39 maserati
i gotta virgin can a paint stripper for grabs?
check the loctite website for SS advice.

Old January 22nd 05, 05:02 AM
Jim Adney

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 01:50:33 -0600 A Muzi wrote:

I wouldn't presume to try to translate whatever Gene wrote
but loctite works fine on stainless fasteners. It's commonly
done and doesn't give any trouble.

A greased bolt, properly torqued, isn't coming out either.
Don't worry.

Loctite needs something that will oxidize to remove oxygen in the
thread interface in order to harden. Stainless won't generally do
this, but a stainless bolt in a steel part will work fine, simply
because the locktite doesn't care what the material is, as long as the
oxygen is removed.

Locktite data sheets have a nice list of what materials will
"catalyze" the hardening, as well as what materials won't. If both of
your threaded parts are on the "won't" list, then Locktite actually
makes a spray can primer which contains finely divided nickel which
you can spray on the threads first. You just spray it on, let it dry,
and then apply the locktite and assemble the parts.

By the use of this primer I've managed to use locktite thread sealant
to seal nylon fittings in a stainless flange. This wouldn't work
without the primer.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA