Is it safe to put a BOB trailer behind my road bike ?

Old January 6th 09, 09:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

Default Is it safe to put a BOB trailer behind my road bike ?

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 22:38:18 -0500, "Denis" may
have said:

Is it safe to put a BOB trailer behind my road bike ?
If I put about 40 lbs in the trailer,
must be ok ?
I'm little concern about the torsion and torque
put on the rear triangle of a road bike

If it's a steel or reasonably stout aluminum frame, I would not expect
any problems. If it's a carbon or thin aluminum frame, I would not
try this. Carbon frames, in particular, are designed for loading in
specific directions; adding a trailer changes the loading, and
particularly if the attachment point is not at the rear axle, this
could cause problems.

That's just my two cents' worth; a more authoritative answer might be
forthcoming from the bike's manufacturer, but corporate attorney
advice these days tends to be "if you haven't tested it, don't approve
of it." Ergo, even if they think it will work OK, they may not be
willing to admit it. You may just have to try it and see.

Old January 6th 09, 09:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

have said:

Is it safe to put a BOB trailer behind my road bike ?

Noting that the BOB attaches on both sides of the rear, it's probably
safer than most of the two-wheel trailers, but I'd still be very
nervous about using this with a carbon-triangle frame.

Old January 6th 09, 01:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

have said:

Is it safe to put a BOB trailer behind my road bike ?

Noting that the BOB attaches on both sides of the rear, it's probably
safer than most of the two-wheel trailers, but I'd still be very
nervous about using this with a carbon-triangle frame.

The real issue is more likely that no one designs CFRP bicycles for
practical use, but rather for racers and those who want to pose as racers.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll