minoura space bar alternatives

Old January 20th 09, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Keiron[_2_]

Default minoura space bar alternatives

Alternatives to the Minoura space bar anyone?

http://www.amazon.com/Minoura-Space-...Attachment/dp/
B000BMUF1G

What i's like is a bar which sits a bit closer to the handlebar so I can
put my shifters on it and keep hand movements to a minimum whist shifting.
Equally the minoura bar looks quite flimsy where it attaches to the
handlebar, i'd prefer a clamp with more meat.

I'm toying with the idea of cutting down an old existing handlebar but
have no way of mounting it. Some stem device which doesn't turn the 90
degrees of normal stems would obviously be ideal.

Ideas ladies and gents?
Old January 20th 09, 05:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jan 20, 11:04*am, Keiron wrote:
Alternatives to the Minoura space bar anyone?

http://www.amazon.com/Minoura-Space-...Attachment/dp/
B000BMUF1G

What i's like is a bar which sits a bit closer to the handlebar so I can
put my shifters on it and keep hand movements to a minimum whist shifting..
Equally the minoura bar looks quite flimsy where it attaches to the
handlebar, i'd prefer a clamp with more meat.

I'm toying with the idea of cutting down an old existing handlebar but
have no way of mounting it. Some stem device which doesn't turn the 90
degrees of normal stems would obviously be ideal.

Ideas ladies and gents?

A short stem clamped onto an old cut down handlebar. Mount this
beside the existing stem.
Old January 20th 09, 05:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Keiron[_2_]

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 09:07:24 -0800, wrote:

On Jan 20, 11:04Â*am, Keiron wrote:
Alternatives to the Minoura space bar anyone?

http://www.amazon.com/Minoura-Space-...Attachment/dp/
B000BMUF1G

What i's like is a bar which sits a bit closer to the handlebar so I
can put my shifters on it and keep hand movements to a minimum whist
shifting. Equally the minoura bar looks quite flimsy where it attaches
to the handlebar, i'd prefer a clamp with more meat.

I'm toying with the idea of cutting down an old existing handlebar but
have no way of mounting it. Some stem device which doesn't turn the 90
degrees of normal stems would obviously be ideal.

Ideas ladies and gents?

A short stem clamped onto an old cut down handlebar. Mount this beside
the existing stem.

Mounted how: so the extension runs vertically? I'd like it to run
horizontally and parallel to the existing bar. Have I misunderstood?

Or do you mean mount it on the steer tube? If so no enough steer tube even
minus all spacers? unless somebody knows of a stem with a 1cm 'stack'
height?
Old January 20th 09, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jan 20, 11:20*am, Keiron wrote:
[...]

height?- Hide quoted text -

I got confused. Sorry. Here is a possible alternative.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=11040

Old January 20th 09, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Keiron[_2_]

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 09:41:55 -0800, wrote:

On Jan 20, 11:20Â*am, Keiron wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 09:07:24 -0800, wrote:
On Jan 20, 11:04Â*am, Keiron wrote:
Alternatives to the Minoura space bar anyone?

http://www.amazon.com/Minoura-Space-...Attachment/dp/
B000BMUF1G

What i's like is a bar which sits a bit closer to the handlebar so I
can put my shifters on it and keep hand movements to a minimum whist
shifting. Equally the minoura bar looks quite flimsy where it
attaches to the handlebar, i'd prefer a clamp with more meat.

I'm toying with the idea of cutting down an old existing handlebar
but have no way of mounting it. Some stem device which doesn't turn
the 90 degrees of normal stems would obviously be ideal.

Ideas ladies and gents?

A short stem clamped onto an old cut down handlebar. Â*Mount this
beside the existing stem.

Mounted how: so the extension runs vertically? I'd like it to run
horizontally and parallel to the existing bar. Have I misunderstood?

Or do you mean mount it on the steer tube? If so no enough steer tube
even minus all spacers? unless somebody knows of a stem with a 1cm
'stack' height?- Hide quoted text -

I got confused. Sorry. Here is a possible alternative.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=11040

Aha! Should remember to check sjs, that place has got everything! This is
the kind of thing but not sure my steerer can cope, 27mm clamp maybe
beyond it hence thinking if it could be bar mounted so much the better
(note: steerer already 20cm so extending it probably not a wise/health
option).

Cheers Russell.

Any further ideas and or products? It's going on my 'frankenbike' so needs
only to be safe and function, can look as funky as needs to be so homebrew
ideas also good.
Old January 20th 09, 05:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marcus Coles

Keiron wrote:
Alternatives to the Minoura space bar anyone?
http://www.amazon.com/Minoura-Space-...Attachment/dp/
B000BMUF1G

What i's like is a bar which sits a bit closer to the handlebar so I

can put my shifters on it and keep hand movements to a minimum whist
shifting. Equally the minoura bar looks quite flimsy where it attaches
to the handlebar, i'd prefer a clamp with more meat.
I'm toying with the idea of cutting down an old existing handlebar

but have no way of mounting it. Some stem device which doesn't turn the
90 degrees of normal stems would obviously be ideal.

Ideas ladies and gents?

Nitto has a accessory lamp and computer bracket, which may help.
There are several sources in the US for example:
http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?m...&cPath=146_786

I'm not sure who carries Nitto stuff in the UK.

Marcus
Old January 20th 09, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James Thomson

"Keiron" a écrit:

Alternatives to the Minoura space bar anyone?

I'm toying with the idea of cutting down an old existing handlebar
but have no way of mounting it.

I've used the clamps from an old pair of Cinelli Spinaci to mount a short
length of old mtb handlebar to use as an accessory bar.

http://jamesthomson.fotopic.net/c714540_1.html

http://images.google.fr/images?hl=fr...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

That's the single-clamp version, but I've also used a longer bar with two
clamps.

Spinaci are available quite cheaply since the UCI banned them.

James Thomson

Old January 20th 09, 09:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jan 20, 2:05*pm, "James Thomson" wrote:
"Keiron" a écrit:

Alternatives to the Minoura space bar anyone?
I'm toying with the idea of cutting down an old existing handlebar
but have no way of mounting it.

I've used the clamps from an old pair of Cinelli Spinaci to mount a short
length of old mtb handlebar to use as an accessory bar.

http://jamesthomson.fotopic.net/c714540_1.html

http://images.google.fr/images?hl=fr...i&um=1&ie=UTF-...

Nice job. I have had that same thought - a set of spinacis or spinaci
clones are cheaper than the Nitto lampholder mentioned above, and
coming by a straight piece of pipe or handlebar is pretty easy - part
of an old handlebar, an old seatpost, or a virgin piece of aluminum
tubing.

That's the single-clamp version, but I've also used a longer bar with two
clamps.

Spinaci are available quite cheaply since the UCI banned them.

James Thomson

Later,
Mark Muller
Old January 20th 09, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 17:04:50 GMT, Keiron may
have said:

Alternatives to the Minoura space bar anyone?

http://www.amazon.com/Minoura-Space-...Attachment/dp/
B000BMUF1G

What i's like is a bar which sits a bit closer to the handlebar so I can
put my shifters on it and keep hand movements to a minimum whist shifting.
Equally the minoura bar looks quite flimsy where it attaches to the
handlebar, i'd prefer a clamp with more meat.

I'm toying with the idea of cutting down an old existing handlebar but
have no way of mounting it. Some stem device which doesn't turn the 90
degrees of normal stems would obviously be ideal.

Ideas ladies and gents?

If there's enough steerer available, or you aren't averse to adding a
heresy-charge-inducing quill-type use-a-threadless-stem widget at the
top of your assumed steel steerer tube. you can just mount a second
stem and clamp a cut-off stub of handlebar into it. I believe that
Sheldon used the two-stems subterfuge more than once.

Old January 20th 09, 11:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson[_5_]

"Keiron" wrote in message

Alternatives to the Minoura space bar anyone?

Dell, HP, Acer, Microsoft...

Alternatives to FSA MegaExo BB [email protected] Techniques 19 November 29th 08 08:42 AM
Minoura Space grip essendon93 Australia 9 November 11th 05 12:18 AM
Minoura Space Grips Tosspot UK 0 May 22nd 05 02:19 PM
Alternatives to GAzz teachndad Unicycling 26 March 18th 05 12:28 PM