minoura space bar alternatives

Old January 21st 09, 03:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Patrick Lamb

Default minoura space bar alternatives

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 09:41:55 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 20, 11:20*am, Keiron wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 09:07:24 -0800, wrote:
On Jan 20, 11:04*am, Keiron wrote:
Alternatives to the Minoura space bar anyone?

http://www.amazon.com/Minoura-Space-...Attachment/dp/
B000BMUF1G

What i's like is a bar which sits a bit closer to the handlebar so I
can put my shifters on it and keep hand movements to a minimum whist
shifting. Equally the minoura bar looks quite flimsy where it attaches
to the handlebar, i'd prefer a clamp with more meat.

I'm toying with the idea of cutting down an old existing handlebar but
have no way of mounting it. Some stem device which doesn't turn the 90
degrees of normal stems would obviously be ideal.

Ideas ladies and gents?

A short stem clamped onto an old cut down handlebar. *Mount this beside
the existing stem.

Mounted how: so the extension runs vertically? I'd like it to run
horizontally and parallel to the existing bar. Have I misunderstood?

Or do you mean mount it on the steer tube? If so no enough steer tube even
minus all spacers? unless somebody knows of a stem with a 1cm 'stack'
height?- Hide quoted text -

I got confused. Sorry. Here is a possible alternative.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=11040

Looks quite neat, but I'm not sure it can be used with cantilever
brakes (if that's what you've got on the front).

FWIW, I had a Minoura space bar. Guaranteed for two years, and I get
the feeling the blasted thing had a battery-powered clock with a
destruct charge in it -- broke darn close to the two year mark.

Pat

Email address works as is.
Old January 21st 09, 04:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Huntley

On Jan 20, 12:04*pm, Keiron wrote:
Alternatives to the Minoura space bar anyone?

http://www.amazon.com/Minoura-Space-...Attachment/dp/
B000BMUF1G

What i's like is a bar which sits a bit closer to the handlebar so I can
put my shifters on it and keep hand movements to a minimum whist shifting..
Equally the minoura bar looks quite flimsy where it attaches to the
handlebar, i'd prefer a clamp with more meat.

I'm toying with the idea of cutting down an old existing handlebar but
have no way of mounting it. Some stem device which doesn't turn the 90
degrees of normal stems would obviously be ideal.

Ideas ladies and gents?

What about a second stem and short bar? I mounted one fairly far from
my bars to hold a bag (see http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?
o=3Tzut&doc_id=1834&v=1G) but if I put the spacers below it instead
of between the two stems, it comes up nice and close to the main
handlebars.
Old January 21st 09, 06:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_2_]

James Thomson wrote:
"Keiron" a écrit:

Alternatives to the Minoura space bar anyone?

I'm toying with the idea of cutting down an old existing handlebar
but have no way of mounting it.

I've used the clamps from an old pair of Cinelli Spinaci to mount a short
length of old mtb handlebar to use as an accessory bar.

http://jamesthomson.fotopic.net/c714540_1.html

http://images.google.fr/images?hl=fr...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

That's the single-clamp version, but I've also used a longer bar with two
clamps.

Spinaci are available quite cheaply since the UCI banned them.

That must get the 1st prize for best idea. I may pick up a pair just
in case!

Old January 21st 09, 11:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Keiron[_2_]

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 16:30:41 -0600, Werehatrack wrote:

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 17:04:50 GMT, Keiron may have
said:

Alternatives to the Minoura space bar anyone?

http://www.amazon.com/Minoura-Space-...Attachment/dp/
B000BMUF1G

What i's like is a bar which sits a bit closer to the handlebar so I can
put my shifters on it and keep hand movements to a minimum whist
shifting. Equally the minoura bar looks quite flimsy where it attaches
to the handlebar, i'd prefer a clamp with more meat.

I'm toying with the idea of cutting down an old existing handlebar but
have no way of mounting it. Some stem device which doesn't turn the 90
degrees of normal stems would obviously be ideal.

Ideas ladies and gents?

If there's enough steerer available, or you aren't averse to adding a
heresy-charge-inducing quill-type use-a-threadless-stem widget at the
top of your assumed steel steerer tube. you can just mount a second stem
and clamp a cut-off stub of handlebar into it. I believe that Sheldon
used the two-stems subterfuge more than once.

Hi. The idea quill stem had quite escaped me but i'm certainly prepared to
take the flak for it! Question: Will the quill place too much force (of
whatever kind and or direction) on the top of what will be an exposed
steerer tube: it's not likely to snap and jab me in any of my most prized
body parts? Especially given the steerer isn't threaded?: Was there any
major steerer design overhaul moving between thread and threadless? It
looks to be a steel steerer so presumably none of the above will be an
issue??

I ask specifically because where sheldon has done this (with to ahead
stems) the riding position is quite upright, I am, on the other hand,
installing drops so my weight will almost exclusively be forward and down
on the bar.

So in short: Will the steerer be up to having this weight and force so
high up on it's length???
Old January 21st 09, 12:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Keiron[_2_]

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 20:08:06 -0800, Brian Huntley wrote:

On Jan 20, 12:04Â*pm, Keiron wrote:
[...]

Aha! The crazyguyonabike himself! I'd consulted your page just the other
day. Just the ticket actually but I don't have enough steerer length so I
think i'll do as Werehatrack and add a threaded stem. In Your experience
has the two stem setup produced a radical change in handling? Mind you if
you were riding with the stem at the same height with spacers anyway i
guess you wouldn't know the difference(?), but I guess i'm asking is it
safe to have so much steerer exposed and the stem so high on it?

thanks
Old January 23rd 09, 09:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

said:

[...]

A steel steerer is probably not even going to notice. Since I'm
assuming that the extension will just be carrying accessories, and the
bars will remain where they are, there's not much real change in the
types whose riding posture puts your head that low.

Old January 24th 09, 05:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Huntley

On Jan 21, 7:00*am, Keiron wrote:

Aha! The crazyguyonabike himself! I'd consulted your page just the other
day. Just the ticket actually but I don't have enough steerer length so I
think i'll do as Werehatrack and add a threaded stem. In Your experience
has the two stem setup produced a radical change in handling? Mind you if
you were riding with the stem at the same height with spacers anyway i
guess you wouldn't know the difference(?), but I guess i'm asking is it
safe to have so much steerer exposed and the stem so high on it?

First, I'm not "the" crazyguyonabike, I'm "a" cgoab. The web site has
almost 6000 registered users, and over 3000 journal, besides the
articles. Neil Gunton is THE guy who put it together.

Second, yes, I had the bars all the way up since I bought the bike - I
had the bike built up off a checklist and selected the "don't cut the
stem" option (or wrote it in - I can't remember.) The Urbane Cyclist,
in Toronto, if you're asking. They build up a lot of commuter bikes so
don't blink an eye at requests like that.

No, it doesn't affect steering much. On my previous bike, I changed
the position of the threaded stem all the time (high in winter, for
example) and never noticed a big difference in the steering.

Alternatives to FSA MegaExo BB [email protected] Techniques 19 November 29th 08 08:42 AM
Minoura Space grip essendon93 Australia 9 November 11th 05 12:18 AM
Minoura Space Grips Tosspot UK 0 May 22nd 05 02:19 PM
Alternatives to GAzz teachndad Unicycling 26 March 18th 05 12:28 PM