Replacement Chainring for RPM Crankset???

Old October 29th 05, 04:41 PM
TomYoung

Default Replacement Chainring for RPM Crankset???

Hi all:

My daughter has a Fuji Absolute road bike that comes with an RPM "Power
Pro" 8-speed crankset. I need to replace the middle (42T) chainring as
it has one bent tooth. (The chainring is aluminium so I'm not ready to
try bending the bent tooth back in line.)

1) Is there any place to purchase a genuine RPM chainring?

2) Absent that, can anybody recommend a widely-available aftermarket
alternative? One possibility I've looked at is an Ultegra FC6503 42t
130mm middle ring, but I'm not sure how well this 9-speed ring will
work in this situation.

TIA.

Tom Young

Old October 29th 05, 05:26 PM
Mark Janeba

TomYoung wrote:
Hi all:

My daughter has a Fuji Absolute road bike that comes with an RPM "Power
Pro" 8-speed crankset. I need to replace the middle (42T) chainring as
it has one bent tooth. (The chainring is aluminium so I'm not ready to
try bending the bent tooth back in line.)

1) Is there any place to purchase a genuine RPM chainring?

2) Absent that, can anybody recommend a widely-available aftermarket
alternative? One possibility I've looked at is an Ultegra FC6503 42t
130mm middle ring, but I'm not sure how well this 9-speed ring will
work in this situation.

If it's really just one tooth on a 42T ring, I would suggest tearing it
off completely - I suspect it won't be missed. Even better, try bending
it back and riding a bit - if it fails, you're not out anything, since
you were planning to replace the ring anyway. Hard to imagine that
failure of the one tooth would cause an accident, or even be noticed.

mark

Old October 29th 05, 06:22 PM
Charles Smith

With all the ramps, pins, grooves, and squared off teeth in modern
chainwheels I am almost certain that this is a feature not a bug. Almost
certain. Let me try and find that manual ... How much does a tooth weigh?

Charles

Old October 30th 05, 01:47 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

TomYoung wrote:
Hi all:

My daughter has a Fuji Absolute road bike that comes with an RPM "Power
Pro" 8-speed crankset. I need to replace the middle (42T) chainring as
it has one bent tooth. (The chainring is aluminium so I'm not ready to
try bending the bent tooth back in line.)

Just bend it. Even if it breaks off, it will still work fine.

1) Is there any place to purchase a genuine RPM chainring?

2) Absent that, can anybody recommend a widely-available aftermarket
alternative? One possibility I've looked at is an Ultegra FC6503 42t
130mm middle ring, but I'm not sure how well this 9-speed ring will
work in this situation.

It will work fine as will a TA ring...

TIA.

Tom Young

Old October 31st 05, 06:19 AM
Jim Adney

On 29 Oct 2005 08:41:59 -0700 "TomYoung" wrote:

My daughter has a Fuji Absolute road bike that comes with an RPM "Power
Pro" 8-speed crankset. I need to replace the middle (42T) chainring as
it has one bent tooth. (The chainring is aluminium so I'm not ready to
try bending the bent tooth back in line.)

Unless it's bent WAY out of line, I'll bet that it can be just
carefully bent back with no problems.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA

Chainring Replacement? muzz UK 18 July 2nd 05 07:55 PM
RaceFace Crankset 104BCD 44 ---- 46 tooth chainring Wasatch5k Techniques 1 June 8th 05 11:44 PM
RaceFace Next LP Crankset and chainring spacing Luke Techniques 0 February 26th 05 05:15 AM
Replacement chainring shifter Richard UK 4 January 14th 05 04:25 PM
Replacement of MTB crankset (BB) with road crankset (BB)?! Qui si parla Campagnolo Techniques 4 July 14th 04 04:21 PM