which way pedals

Old June 27th 06, 02:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default which way pedals

OK I'm trying to get my uni down for luggage.

Which way do you turn to take off the pedals for left and right crank,
facing the wheel, with pedal in front.

It's gotta fit in the case also when ppl had experiences with the
pressure and in the hold?

--
zippy

*'Muni time trial weekend.' (http://tinyurl.com/q5z7m) 1st-3rd
September. (NOT 8th - 10th)*
zippy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11885

Old June 27th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

When I remove cranks I am behind the wheel, make sure the right crank is
on the right side, put pedal wrench on with the handle up, and pull it
backwards towards me. Works every time.

Be carefull if the pedals are tight and you're pulling really hard.
When they release you may find your hand flying back and hitting the
frame, of course I did not learn that from experience. (Assuming you
don't have the wheel turned around and are actually tightnening).

Also a good time to be sure your threads are well greased.

--
UniBrier

Steve

Hop Drop & Roll

“If something is to hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just
stick that guitar in the closet next to your
shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go
inside and watch TV.” – Homer
UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

Old June 27th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

My rule for pedals" Foreward on. Back off."

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !
UNICYCLING FOR MYSLELF

koebwil wrote:
I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
letters I don't want

w00t...i got reply # 60666 in MR

Old June 27th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

i used a rubber hammer

what about tire pressure and flying, anyone had any probs, i deflated
the tire just in case.

Old June 27th 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I remember reading one thread where someone's tube popped, but I've only
heard of it happening once. I don't think it's a prolific problem, but
pumping after you land sure beats having to find a bike store to get a
new tube.

--
bmemike

I dub thee Sir Phobos, Knight of Mars, beater of ass. Be a hitter,
babe.

------
Unicycling for Fish

bmemike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11148

Old June 27th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Be really, really careful when you put the pedals on again. I
cross-threaded a crank just by putting the pedal on with my fingers. I
was trying to be careful and still messed up.

--
Wheel Rider

A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame someone else. - Waite Phillips
Wheel Rider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10656

Old June 27th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Wheel Rider wrote:
Be really, really careful when you put the pedals on again. I
cross-threaded a crank just by putting the pedal on with my fingers. I
was trying to be careful and still messed up.

Wheel Rider speaks the truth. A crank is more difficult to instantly
locate than a tube or patch kit. Look at those threads. Clean and
grease those threads. Start and advance those threads with your
fingers. If it is at all difficult before you have completed a couple
of turns, find out why. You're going to be around a lot of people who
know what they're doing. Ask them if you have any questions. You only
get to force your pedals on once.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

Old June 27th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

harper wrote:
Wheel Rider speaks the truth. A crank is more difficult to instantly
locate than a tube or patch kit. Look at those threads. Clean and
grease those threads. Start and advance those threads with your
fingers. If it is at all difficult before you have completed a couple
of turns, find out why. You're going to be around a lot of people who
know what they're doing. Ask them if you have any questions. You only
get to force your pedals on once.

Yep. I had to buy new cranks after taking my pedals off to get the uni
in a suitcase.

cathy

--
cathwood

Say no to unicycle genre discrimination! - MrBoogiejuice

http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

Old June 27th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

The theoretical maximum change of pressure in flight is of course one
atmospher of pressure - that's one Bar, which is about 14 psi. Most
tyres will take 40 or more psi, and most unicyclists run them a lot
lower.

Of course, the plane will never go so high that the air pressure is a
whole atmospher lower than at ground level, otherwise it would be in
space, and the wings wouldn't work.

Fast road bikes run tyres at 100 psi or more, and a few extra psi could
make a difference. For your uni, it's unlikely to matter.

More worrying is that in the unshielded hold of the aeroplane, the
frame will be subject to higher levels of cosmic radiation. Any
components containing aluminium can retain this for several weeks, so
it would be as well to wear a protective layer of baking foil inside
your cycling shorts for the first few rides after a flight.

--
Mikefule

"No one likes circus skills, juggling is dire, and clowns are on
registers at most police stations."
(The late and sadly-missed Linda Smith)

Old June 28th 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

For tire pressure, I usually let some out, but not enough for the tire
to come loose on the rim. This just makes the unicycles easier to pack,
and self-bumpering in the luggage. I also bring a small pump with me.

Technically you should only need to lower your pressure if you run your
tires at very high pressures. Or for very big wheels, like Cokers,
where the tire may be more prone to coming off the rim. I have also
flown without taking any air out. No problems. Pressure in the plane's
cargo area is the same pressure you get in your seat. Roughly the
equivalent of 10,000' or less.

My way to remember pedal threading:
Righty-righty, lefty-lefty. Sounds stupid, but the right side works
normally (screws on to the right) and the left side is the odd one
(screws on to the left).

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
-- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling