Bugger!

Old June 18th 07, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

Default Bugger!

I took a dozen children to their swimming lesson today by cycling
there. No serious incidents on the way there or back - but while the
children were swimming some git nicked one of the children's bikes.

The school Isla bikes I locked together using steel anchor chain and
locked using a Chubb 1K48 high security brass padlock, as recommended
in urc. The stolen bike was the child's own BSO, bought from a
catalogue. It was locked using a lock shaped object (LSO).

Why oh why oh why didn't I lock the child's bike with the others!?

In the BSO's place, a green Raleigh was abandoned. Not a bad bike as
it happens.

One blessing. The BSO cost the parents £34.99 inc delivery, so it
won't break the bank to replace. The LSO was £2.69!

www.bonthronebikes.co.uk/234-9041
Old June 18th 07, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_2_]

On 18/06/2007 19:18, Tom Crispin said,

In the BSO's place, a green Raleigh was abandoned. Not a bad bike as
it happens.

One blessing. The BSO cost the parents £34.99 inc delivery, so it
won't break the bank to replace. The LSO was £2.69!

It sounds like the thief got the worse end of the deal to me :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old June 19th 07, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PhilD

On Jun 18, 9:26 pm, Paul Boyd wrote:

It sounds like the thief got the worse end of the deal to me :-)

Yes. If the thief is caught, see if you can get him/her to visit your
house and replace your computer/TV/video/kitchen/whatever with better
stuff!

PhilD

Old June 19th 07, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

On 18 Jun, 19:18, Tom Crispin
wrote:
One blessing. The BSO cost the parents £34.99 inc delivery, so it
won't break the bank to replace. The LSO was £2.69!

I've heard it recommended that one should spend 10 percent of the
bike's cost on a lock. If only they'd spent £3.50...

Old June 19th 07, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark[_2_]

One blessing. The BSO cost the parents £34.99 inc delivery, so it
won't break the bank to replace. The LSO was £2.69!

I've heard it recommended that one should spend 10 percent of the
bike's cost on a lock. If only they'd spent £3.50...

A rough guide is that the weight of bike+lock should be the same whatever
model of bike you have. This means that you spend oodles on a nice light
bike, more on a nice heavy lock and you end up with something around the
weight of that heavy BSO you just upgraded from :-/
Old June 19th 07, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MatSav

PhilD wrote:
On Jun 18, 9:26 pm, Paul Boyd wrote:

It sounds like the thief got the worse end of the deal to me :-)

Yes. If the thief is caught, see if you can get him/her to visit your
house and replace your computer/TV/video/kitchen/whatever with better
stuff!

Did you know...

If "your" house is ransacked and burgled, and "you" are attacked and end
up in hospital, "we" are all "better off"?

Nothing personal, mind. It's just that the main measure of wealth used
by the government economists is the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) - that
is, the sum of ALL goods and services supplied within the Nation.
Sometimes it just doesn't make sense.

--
MatSav
Old June 23rd 07, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spokes[_2_]

As the group ebay bore, my solution has always been to buy a (2nd hand)
really nice bike that *looks like* a pile of crap. Then you can secure it
with a cheapo lock that weighs next to nothing...or a piece of knotted
string. Sellotape. A rubber band.. (they're really cheap too, so if one does
by any chance go walkies, you can just buy another one.)

bugger! flyingdutch Australia 1 March 23rd 06 02:47 PM
Bugger... Tony B UK 2 March 14th 05 11:05 PM
Bugger Me munimanpete Unicycling 4 August 15th 04 02:46 AM
Got The Bugger Mattboy UK 15 August 4th 04 01:44 PM
Aw, bugger... bomba Mountain Biking 4 October 25th 03 02:04 AM