Is it safe to put a BOB trailer behind my road bike ?

Old January 5th 09, 03:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Denis

Default Is it safe to put a BOB trailer behind my road bike ?

Is it safe to put a BOB trailer behind my road bike ?
If I put about 40 lbs in the trailer,
must be ok ?
I'm little concern about the torsion and torque
put on the rear triangle of a road bike
Thanks
Denis

Old January 5th 09, 03:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
terryc

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 22:38:18 -0500, Denis wrote:

Is it safe to put a BOB trailer behind my road bike ?

Yes.

If I put about 40 lbs in the trailer,
must be ok ?

So long as it is as low as it can be. OTOH, if you are putting a 20litre
drum of something there, I'd expect a bit of tail wagging the dog effect,
depending on terrain, surface and speed.
Old January 5th 09, 03:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Denis Anon. wrote:
Is it safe to put a BOB trailer behind my road bike ?
If I put about 40 lbs in the trailer,
must be ok ?
I'm little concern about the torsion and torque
put on the rear triangle of a road bike

Unless your road bicycle is unusually spindly, I would not worry about
it. The main prohibitions for using a B.o.B. or similar single-track
trailer are bikes with suspension and those without a full rear triangle.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old January 5th 09, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Denis

Well,
if only my LBS has it to try and test it
before spending the money
Denis

Old January 5th 09, 08:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

It pulls great. Don't even know it's back there most of the time.
Seems to pull better with a load than when empty. Nominal "bounce"
factor when going up or down curbs. The only drawback I have found so
far is, after riding in the rain, the fender provides no cargo
protection.

AsianDoll

Since its my school semester break I have been using my free time
playing games like a href=http://www.gamestotal.com http://www.gamestotal.com
/a a href=http://uc.gamestotal.com http://uc.gamestotal.com /a
a href=http://gc.gamestotal.com http://gc.gamestotal.com /a a
href=http://3700ad.gamestotal.com http://3700ad.gamestotal.com /a
a href=http://manga.gamestotal.com http://manga.gamestotal.com /a
Old January 5th 09, 02:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Denis

Hi,
I've seen smaller trailer years ago
don't remember the manufacturer
may be a dog trailer with small capacity
Denis

Old January 5th 09, 02:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Denis

Hi,
I'm searching a small ( smaller than a BOB ) trailer
light, one wheel, can carry 40 lbs
,will not break my road frame and
can ride at 40 mph downhill
Denis

Old January 5th 09, 03:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Denis wrote:
Is it safe to put a BOB trailer behind my road bike ?
If I put about 40 lbs in the trailer,
must be ok ?
I'm little concern about the torsion and torque
put on the rear triangle of a road bike

Yes. You can't really put any twist on a frame with a BOB because it's
single wheeled, it just flops side to side. That also limits the load
you can gracefully carry, the low speed handling gets a bit wobbly.
Old January 5th 09, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Denis wrote:
Is it safe to put a BOB trailer behind my road bike ?

No.
Old January 5th 09, 06:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Denis

A man of few words
Denis