Pedals

Old November 26th 03, 12:23 AM
Uni

Default Pedals

Hi guys,

I'm looking for pedals for a 29" street ("touring") unicycle. Ideally I'd
like to keep the cost under 30-40$. I've narrowed the choices at
unicycle.com down to the following:

Primo Super Tenderizer Pedals
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=215)

Snafu Platform Pin Pedals
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=524)

Odyssey Twisted Pro Pedals
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=214)

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

Old November 26th 03, 12:40 AM
Sofa

Odyssey Twisted Pro Pedals

I can only attest to these pedals, and they are a great bang for the
buck pedal. the non-replacable pins seem to last a long time, and they
are nicely priced

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

And there's a picture of a Tunicycle
Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

Old November 26th 03, 01:14 AM
john_childs

Of the three the Odyssey pedals are the best for a road or touring uni.

The Primo Tenderizer pedals and Snafu pedals are much more suited for
trials than touring because they're big, thick and blocky.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old November 26th 03, 01:29 AM
Uni

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the difference. Are there pedals under 30-40$
that are better than the Odyssey Twisted pro for a road or touring uni?

"john_childs" . com wrote
in message
nicyclist.com...

Old November 26th 03, 03:08 AM
supertones

I know this is off the subject, but I didn't want to start a new thread
just to ask this. I think my wheel or cranks or something are a bit
crooked, maybe like 1/8 of an inch, nothing major, is that a bad thing?
I can fit my thumb inbetween the left crank and the fork, but not
between the right crank and the fork, and the distance between the tire
and the fork on the left is less than that on right, I noticed it
because I had it with me at work in the van and some peices of plywood
fell on it, it doesn't feel any different, but I just figured i'd put
the question out there, ok, off to sleep, thanks.

--
supertones
supertones's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4499

Old November 26th 03, 04:21 AM
Erin

john_childs wrote:
*Of the three the Odyssey pedals are the best for a road or touring
uni.

The Primo Tenderizer pedals and Snafu pedals are much more suited for
trials than touring because they're big, thick and blocky. *

Yeah, I really agree with John. I have a MEC pedal very similar to the
Odyssey on my 29'er which I use exclusively for communting and light
touring. Definitely the other two pedals are overkill for touring on
the 29'er; they are way more grippy than you will want/need for the
touring 29'er, IMHO.

Erin

--
Erin - Onewheeler

"You broke your leg doing WHAT!?"
Erin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2036

Old November 26th 03, 04:23 AM
Erin

supertones wrote:
*I know this is off the subject, but I didn't want to start a new
thread just to ask this. I think my wheel or cranks or something are a
bit crooked, ....... *

Well, what the heck, it is a different topic...why don't you go ahead
and start a new thread for it then...?

Erin

Old November 26th 03, 04:49 AM
Uni

Thanks, Erin. Are the MEC/Odyssey also lighter than the Primo Tenderizer
and Snafu?

Also, is there a comparably priced pedal (less than $40 USD) that is even
better than the MEC/Odyssey for a touring 29" uni?

"Erin" wrote in message
st.com...

Old November 26th 03, 06:08 AM
Erin

Uni wrote:
*Thanks, Erin. Are the MEC/Odyssey also lighter than the Primo
Tenderizer
and Snafu?

Also, is there a comparably priced pedal (less than $40 USD) that is
even
better than the MEC/Odyssey for a touring 29" uni?
*

Well as far as I know the Mountain Equipment Coop pedals (VP-565's) that
I am using on my 29'er are for sure lighter than the Wellgo B37 pin
pedals that I have on my MUni. So I can't compare exactly the brands of
pedals you are referring to but in a, shall we say 'parallel'
comparison, there is a weight difference. As for price, the VP-565's
can't be beat, a lot of bang for the buck at $8 a pair.

Uni, I have tried quite a few pedals for trials, MUni, freestyle and
touring and the Wellgo's are my choice for touring and trials and I for
anything else I use the budget priced VP's.

Hope that helps.

Erin

Old November 26th 03, 08:14 AM
john_childs

Uni wrote:
*Thanks, I wasn't aware of the difference. Are there pedals under
30-40$ that are better than the Odyssey Twisted pro for a road or
touring uni?
*

'Price Point' (http://www.pricepoint.com/) and 'Jenson USA'
(http://www.jensonusa.com/) have the Sun-Ringle Zuzu pedal on sale.
Price Point has it for $29.98 and Jenson USA has it for $35.

It's a good pedal for a touring uni. I have them on my Coker. They're
not so good for muni because the thin parts of the platform can break
when you hit rocks. For touring they do great. Very grippy which helps
you control the uni. They've got sealed bearings.

Pedals like the Zuzu and the Odyssey Twisted Pro have an offset
parallelogram design. The offset makes it so the pedal will flip
right-side up when you step on it. No matter how the pedal is oriented
it will flip under your foot as you step on it.

Thick blocky pedals like the Snafu do not flip over as you step on them.
That makes them less convenient while mounting the uni. Thick pedals
also are more likely to roll or slide under your foot because your foot
is further away from the spindle. Thinner pedals are generally more
stable under your foot.

For touring I like thin pedals that have a nice offset parallelogram
design. For trials the thicker blocky pedals are better for pedal
grabs.