Brake Pads

Old February 12th 04, 08:31 AM
Lee

Default Brake Pads

Ok,

So aside from my punctures (see below!) I seem to be going through brake
pads at a rate of knots.

I bought some Fibrax pads from Halfords probably no longer than 2-3 weeks
ago and they are already nearly bare. Ok, so Fibrax are perhaps not the
best pads to get, but when you are desperate and thats all the shop has.....
you get my point.

Anyway, the point of the post is to see if anyone can recommend which brake
pads are the best to get (i.e. longest lasting for the cost).

My current bike has Shimano V Brakes so pads which fit that system would be
appreciated.

Thanks all

Lee

Old February 12th 04, 08:49 AM
Frobnitz

"Lee" gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverym uch.btinternet.com
wrote in message

My current bike has Shimano V Brakes so pads which fit that system would

be
appreciated.

Koolstop Eagle Claw - preferably the salmon coloured ones, but they can be
hard to find, but various online shops are good (Wiggle had them in iirc,
Sheldon Brown will send them from the US) - brake pads are brake pads so you
don't need to see them first, and they are nice and small for delivery.....

Old February 12th 04, 03:52 PM
Pete Biggs

Lee wrote:
Anyway, the point of the post is to see if anyone can recommend which
brake pads are the best to get (i.e. longest lasting for the cost).

I would define best as: good stopping power, don't chew up rims, last
longer than average pads. Kool Stop Salmon (or Dual) fit this bill - but
aren't cheap. Available from Wiggle or your local bike shop if lucky.

~PB

Old February 12th 04, 07:04 PM
David E. Belcher

wrote in message

My current bike has Shimano V Brakes so pads which fit that system would

be
appreciated.

Koolstop Eagle Claw - preferably the salmon coloured ones, but they can be
hard to find, but various online shops are good (Wiggle had them in iirc,
Sheldon Brown will send them from the US) - brake pads are brake pads so you
don't need to see them first, and they are nice and small for delivery.....

The Fibrax 'cartridge' type with replacable pads are good too. I
actually use the V-brake version for the old-style cantilevers on my
'cross bike! However, if buying these, try and hunt down the 'special
offer' packs [1] which come complete with an extra set of pads at no
extra charge.

David E. Belcher

[1] Also available for dual-pivot road calipers.
Old February 12th 04, 11:16 PM
davebee

I am using the XT cartridge pads at the moment. The initial outlay i
pretty high at about £20 per pair (i think) , but these came with my ne
calipers. However replacement cartridges are only about a tenner pe
pair (i think). Good stopping power. I havent noticed too much wear an
have had them on for nearly 2 months now

-

Old February 13th 04, 08:24 AM
Lee

"David E. Belcher" wrote in message
om...

The Fibrax 'cartridge' type with replacable pads are good too. I
actually use the V-brake version for the old-style cantilevers on my
'cross bike! However, if buying these, try and hunt down the 'special
offer' packs [1] which come complete with an extra set of pads at no
extra charge.

David E. Belcher

[1] Also available for dual-pivot road calipers.

I have seen these and they MAY well be my next purchase... still
contemplating tho

Old February 17th 04, 01:47 PM
elyob

davebee wrote in message .. .
I am using the XT cartridge pads at the moment. The initial outlay is
pretty high at about £20 per pair (i think) , but these came with my new
calipers. However replacement cartridges are only about a tenner per
pair (i think). Good stopping power. I havent noticed too much wear and
have had them on for nearly 2 months now.

I've got Avid SD5's and am looking at replacement brake pads. From
what I can find these are 'linear' brakes, and compatiable with XT
cartridges. I haven't a clue, how do I check whether I can just use
replacement pads and that I already have replacement cartridges?

Thanks
Old February 17th 04, 11:05 PM
MichaelB

wrote:
I bought some Fibrax pads from Halfords probably no longer than 2-3
weeks ago and they are already nearly bare. Ok, so Fibrax are perhaps
not the best pads to get, but when you are desperate and thats all the
shop has..... you get my point.
Lee

If you wear them in properly by being gentle with your new rim and pad
I think they will last longer. I too seem to get very little life fro
my pads. I tend to only use my rear brakes, like on a kart, and keep th
front for when stupid motorists, bless them, try to kill me. When th
brakes get covered in crud you can hear them destroying my rims but wha
can you do? Funny enough they seem to wear down the most in the wet an
my priority is to have a pad that is good in the wet. In the dry a pa
is a pad but when its wet it seems some are a lot more controllable tha
others. Some pads seem to do bugger all and then suddenly, when the
have been around the rim and dryed it a bit, they suddenly grab you
wheel and lock it. Others, and I think these are the rim killers, giv
good feel and work even when drenched

Does anybody know a good-wet pad for road bikes

-

Old February 18th 04, 12:34 AM
Pete Biggs

MichaelB wrote:
If you wear them in properly by being gentle with your new rim and
pads
I think they will last longer. I too seem to get very little life from
my pads. I tend to only use my rear brakes, like on a kart, and keep
the front for when stupid motorists, bless them, try to kill me. When
the brakes get covered in crud you can hear them destroying my rims
but what can you do?

What you can do is use better pads and use the front brake. Rear brakes
are less effective so you have to use them more (if only rear braking) and
rear pads disintegrate faster anyway.

Funny enough they seem to wear down the most in
the wet and my priority is to have a pad that is good in the wet. In
the dry a pad
is a pad but when its wet it seems some are a lot more controllable
than others. Some pads seem to do bugger all and then suddenly, when
they
have been around the rim and dryed it a bit, they suddenly grab your
wheel and lock it. Others, and I think these are the rim killers, give
good feel and work even when drenched.

Does anybody know a good-wet pad for road bikes?

Kool Stop Salmon - although they're no better than any other pads in the
very heaviest of downpours.

~PB