UCI Track Racing Bikes

Old May 31st 04, 05:44 AM
hippy

Default UCI Track Racing Bikes

amirm wrote:
pfft. that's lightweight and there is no head wind and no gradient.
Shame shame.

Yeah.. hangs head... but to come clean, I'm running that gear becaus
that was what was on the bike when I bought it and I've not had an
desire to change it. I've only got a limited selection of track gear
and figured I should learn on the smallest gear I owned. Since th
season ended before I really got into racing (got in a decent cras
though - still carry the marks...) I never started playing with gea
selection

lame-o-excuso-hippy ;-

-

Old May 31st 04, 08:11 AM
Gemma Kernich

"hippy" wrote in message
.. .
Originally posted by Gemma Kernich Cheers Gemma (50x15 is my
favourite!)

Damn! I only ride 49x16...

what???!! That's only an 82.7" (as opposed to my 90 dead That's a warmup
gear :P Time for a new cog my son!
The biggest I've ridden is a 50x14 (96.4) in a motorpaced event, it felt
really good till the derny pulled off the track!
Gemma

Old May 31st 04, 10:12 AM
NickZX6R

Gemma Kernich wrote:

"hippy" wrote in message
.. .
Originally posted by Gemma Kernich Cheers Gemma (50x15 is my
favourite!)

Damn! I only ride 49x16...

what???!! That's only an 82.7" (as opposed to my 90 dead That's a warmup
gear :P Time for a new cog my son!
The biggest I've ridden is a 50x14 (96.4) in a motorpaced event, it felt
really good till the derny pulled off the track!
Gemma

pffft! 50x14? Was that a hillclimb Gemma? ;P

--
Nick
(who has never ridden fixed in his life)
Old May 31st 04, 02:30 PM
hippy

Originally posted by Gemma Kernic
Damn! I only ride 49x16..

what???!! That's only an 82.7" (as opposed to my 90 dead That's
warmup gear :P Time for a new cog my son! The biggest I've ridden is
50x14 (96.4) in a motorpaced event, it felt really good till the dern
pulled off the track! Gemm

Awight grrl you're on! ;-

gruntsscowlspretends to be Ryan Bayley/Sean Eadie

Along with the piles of other track gear I'm in need of.. a MASSIVE gea
is added to the list :

If we meet in a race, I'll fit it and hopefully my lardbutt will creat
enough momentum rolling down the bank to wind it up before you destro
me with an early jump! :

DRS can film/photograph my knees exploding ;-

hipp
- Who's got a spare 62T chainring lying around? 11T track cog

-

Old May 31st 04, 03:19 PM
Geoff

"hippy" wrote in message
.. .
Originally posted by Gemma Kernich Cheers Gemma (50x15 is my
favourite!)

Damn! I only ride 49x16...

hippy

Hip,

All this talk about inches made me think to ask you what sort of gear you
have planned for the fixie? On mine I run a 76 (42x15) coupled to a
172.5mm crank arms which I find good for most stuff I do around Melbourne
metro area which includes, the occasional North Road Ride, South Morang to
Mordialloc and occasional rides to work. I tend not to ride this bike in
the wet as it does not have sealed bearings (Sealed bearing Suzue hubs with
lockring, sealed BB and Headset are coming soon). On the flat it's not
unreasonable to sit on 40km/h (cadence = 105rpm) and for the downhills
comfortably allows for around 50km/h (130rpm). This gear also works when
the road goes slightly upward and the longer cranks also help in this
department.

Some thing to be aware of when looking for cranks is your bottom bracket
height. If the cranks you chose are too long you will have a much reduced
pedal clearance when taking corners. You may need to look at something in
the 165-170 range if this is likely to be a problem.

Another piece of advice is to use a quality chainring. The rounder the
chainring the less likely you are to throw a chain. If the chainring is not
perfectly round then you will see the tension of the chain drop or increase
significantly as the cranks are turned. I'll leave it to your imagination
the potential carnage due throwing chain off the ring and it then becoming
stuck between the spider and the crankarm. This is probably more critical
when using a 3/32nd road chain setup as opposed to 1/8th track chain setup
as the former is laterally more flexible.

And when you finally get this beast of yours on the road head down to beach
road and jump into a pack. Besides the strange looks you'll get due to the
fact your bike is not like the other bikes you will also notice that on the
uphills you climb faster than the geared bikes despite your bike weight
being nearly twice the weight of the other bikes around it. And better
still you get to pedal for the whole ride.

Cheers
Geoff

btw. I have had a quick a look at your pics from the 2004 Madison Meet at
VA. I notice you got a few shots of me. Once I've had a better look I
might get some copies from you if that's ok.

Old June 1st 04, 01:15 AM
Gemma Kernich

"hippy" wrote in message
.. .
Originally posted by Gemma Kernich
Damn! I only ride 49x16...

what???!! That's only an 82.7" (as opposed to my 90 dead That's a
warmup gear :P Time for a new cog my son! The biggest I've ridden is a
50x14 (96.4) in a motorpaced event, it felt really good till the derny
pulled off the track! Gemma

Awight grrl you're on! ;-)

gruntsscowlspretends to be Ryan Bayley/Sean Eadie

Along with the piles of other track gear I'm in need of.. a MASSIVE gear
is added to the list :P

If we meet in a race, I'll fit it and hopefully my lardbutt will create
enough momentum rolling down the bank to wind it up before you destroy
me with an early jump!

You a lard butt? And me with a 'jump' - unlikely! *grin* You aint seen me
yet..... I'll up the stakes now, after 8(!) years of posting here I'll
reveal myself
To give you an idea of the size of me, I ride a 57cm....
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~gkernich/JCTDUwomens.JPG
Cheers
Gemma "I should charge for sponsors names to appear across the rear of my
shorts" Kernich

Old June 1st 04, 01:55 AM
Marty Wallace

"Gemma Kernich" wrote in message

"hippy" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Nice website Gemma. Very er.. minimalist. (in a zen type of way.)

This is my website. Needs some prettying up.
http://www.hyperactive.oz.nf/

Marty

Old June 1st 04, 02:00 AM
DRS

"Gemma Kernich" wrote in message

[...]

You a lard butt? And me with a 'jump' - unlikely! *grin* You aint
seen me yet..... I'll up the stakes now, after 8(!) years of posting
here I'll reveal myself
To give you an idea of the size of me, I ride a 57cm....
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~gkernich/JCTDUwomens.JPG
Cheers
Gemma "I should charge for sponsors names to appear across the rear
of my shorts" Kernich

That's a nice photo but do you realise that jpegs don't have to weigh as
much as your bum?

--

A: Top-posters.

Old June 1st 04, 02:23 AM
Gemma Kernich

"DRS" wrote in message
"Gemma Kernich" wrote in message

[...]

You a lard butt? And me with a 'jump' - unlikely! *grin* You aint
seen me yet..... I'll up the stakes now, after 8(!) years of posting
here I'll reveal myself
To give you an idea of the size of me, I ride a 57cm....
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~gkernich/JCTDUwomens.JPG
Cheers
Gemma "I should charge for sponsors names to appear across the rear
of my shorts" Kernich

That's a nice photo but do you realise that jpegs don't have to weigh as
much as your bum?

yeah yeah
When I have a sec I will fix it, I promise! (The jpg that is, my bum has
taken years of cultivation and isn't going away anytime soon
Only knocked up that 'minimalist' page last night, haven't written html in
many moons, most of it isn't working yet, too many typos.
Gemm

Old June 1st 04, 03:30 AM
hippy

Originally posted by Geoff All this talk about inches made me think t
ask you what sort of gear you have planned for the fixie? On mine I ru
a 76 (42x15) coupled to a 172.5mm crank arms which I find good for mos
stuff I do around Melbourne metro area whic

I was going to see what's available and pick something in th
lower/middle range. 63xc guys suggest high 60's or low 70's but that'
probably for offroad fixie riding and might be too low

The SS is 32:15 with 175mm cranks and 26" wheels w/ slicks. I fin
myself spinning out quite and bit and it really needs to be geare
higher, but I like it on those days when I'm really tired (often)

I got a new fastest cadence the other day on it: 34 x 6.. um.. rack
notoriously slow brain.. 204bpm Cracked 200! I want a cadenc
computer though, for an official reading. I find it really hard t
actually count as fast as I can pedal

You may need to look at something in the 165-170 range if this i
likely to be a problem

I wanted to fit 165mm to match my track setup

Another piece of advice is to use a quality chainring. The rounder th
chainring the less likely you are to throw a chain. If the chainring i
not perfectly round then you will see the tension of the chain drop o
increase significantly as the cranks are turned. I'll leave it to you
imagination the potential carnage due throwing chain off the ring an
it then becoming stuck between the spider and the crankarm

Damn my imagination! Sounds painful.. I will have to start trying t
skid the bike as soon as it's built for handling these emergenc
situations.. mmm skids.

And when you finally get this beast of yours on the road head down t
beach road and jump into a pack. Besides the strange looks you'll ge
due to the fact your bike is not like the other bikes you will als
notice that on the uphills you climb faster than the geared bike
despite you

Strange looks are good :

I -have- heard that fixies climb faster than gearies.. I like the soun
of that! If I have juice in my legs I often beat (slower) roadies u
hills on my commute on the SS because they gear too easy or too hard fo
the climbs

I have had a quick a look at your pics from the 2004 Madison Meet a
VA. I notice you got a few shots of me. Once I've had a better look
might get some copies from you if that's ok

Cool. I've also got some shots from Sunday's Track Worlds that will g
up when I have, I mean, when I -make- time.

hipp

-

Ghost Bikes Garrison Hilliard General 0 June 12th 04 06:31 PM
Ghent Six Day Excursion Ilan Vardi Racing 8 November 30th 03 08:03 PM