Embarassing to be a cyclist

Old August 3rd 04, 02:08 AM
Tony

Default Embarassing to be a cyclist

I don't know about the rest of you but I am sick of all this news with our
Olympic cycling team, now the riders won't talk to Ben Kerston, what a
bloody joke.

Old August 3rd 04, 02:15 AM
Walrus

Tony Wrote:
I don't know about the rest of you but I am sick of all this news with
our
Olympic cycling team, now the riders won't talk to Ben Kerston, what a
bloody joke.

Talk about the worst possible preparation for an Olympic campaign. Any
medal won by an Aussie (or any other rider for that matter) will be
questioned. I hate the fact that our team has been stained with this
reputation.

--
Walrus

Old August 3rd 04, 02:25 AM
Unregistered

Tony Wrote:
I don't know about the rest of you but I am sick of all this news with
our
Olympic cycling team, now the riders won't talk to Ben Kerston, what a
bloody joke.

Even worse than that IMHO was the cretin of coach (Flynn?) who was
quoted saying in effect "sure Jobie has now admitted to self-injecting
on several occasions (clear breach of team protocols), and has been
caught out telling barefaced lies to (two) formal inquiries into
doping, ... *but the punishment (ie kicking him off the team) seems a
bit tough to me*".

Yep, that's setting a great example for the guys on the team isn't it
... with that sort of attitude at the top, no wonder the sport's in
this mess.

--
Unregistered

Old August 3rd 04, 02:47 AM
Tony

"Unregistered" wrote in
message ...

Tony Wrote:
I don't know about the rest of you but I am sick of all this news with
our
Olympic cycling team, now the riders won't talk to Ben Kerston, what a
bloody joke.

Even worse than that IMHO was the cretin of coach (Flynn?) who was
quoted saying in effect "sure Jobie has now admitted to self-injecting
on several occasions (clear breach of team protocols), and has been
caught out telling barefaced lies to (two) formal inquiries into
doping, ... *but the punishment (ie kicking him off the team) seems a
bit tough to me*".

Yep, that's setting a great example for the guys on the team isn't it
.. with that sort of attitude at the top, no wonder the sport's in
this mess.

--
Unregistered

Flynn should have been sacked

Old August 3rd 04, 05:33 AM
Michael Warner

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 11:08:49 +1000, Tony wrote:

I don't know about the rest of you but I am sick of all this news with our
Olympic cycling team, now the riders won't talk to Ben Kerston, what a
bloody joke.

I can see why - his attitude seems pretty bad to me. He thinks he's
somehow entitled to a spot in the team with his name carved on it,
even though he lost (sorely) when given the chance to compete
directly for it.

--
bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo
Old August 3rd 04, 05:55 AM
flyingdutch

Michael Warner Wrote:
On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 11:08:49 +1000, Tony wrote:

I don't know about the rest of you but I am sick of all this news

with our
Olympic cycling team, now the riders won't talk to Ben Kerston, what

bloody joke.

I can see why - his attitude seems pretty bad to me. He thinks he's
somehow entitled to a spot in the team with his name carved on it,
even though he lost (sorely) when given the chance to compete
directly for it.

--
bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo

even if his riding ability earnt him the spot, doing his whineing thru
the media is pretty immature IMHO. let the bike speak.
Or grow a funny beard...

--
flyingdutch

Old August 3rd 04, 06:29 AM
Shane Stanley

In article ,
Michael Warner wrote:

He thinks he's
somehow entitled to a spot in the team with his name carved on it,
even though he lost (sorely) when given the chance to compete
directly for it.

I gather his argument is that he *wasn't* given the chance to compete
directly for it, and that his competitor was given more time to beat his
time.

Whatever, the behavior by some team members is doing no-one any good.

--
Shane Stanley
Old August 3rd 04, 07:08 AM
Michael Warner

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 05:29:33 GMT, Shane Stanley wrote:

Whatever, the behavior by some team members is doing no-one any good.

IMHO all of the ugliness in modern sport has the same basic cause -
professionalism. When the money, either public or private, is available to
enable people to devote themselves to a sport full-time, their view of the
world becomes completely distorted. They'll do anything to win, anything
to get a team spot (hire lawyers etc), and anything to extend their
careers, since life beyond competition looks like a vacuum.

--
bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo
Old August 3rd 04, 07:11 AM
hippy

"flyingdutch" wrote

even if his riding ability earnt him the spot, doing his whineing thru
the media is pretty immature IMHO. let the bike speak.
Or grow a funny beard...

I didn't think he was whining. All the interviews I've seen with
him have shown him to be arguing with the method of selection
and he seemed to emphasise the fact he wasn't trying to upset
the other riders.
The fact that the selection process had Eadie and Kersten
riding on different days is ridiculous when such a small
difference between them could have been temperature
related or time related, etc.
It all sounds dodgy to me and I think Eadie and Kersten
should ride off on the same day to decide this properly.
Cyclingnews had an interesting article which indicated that
Jobie(sp?) only had his DNA on 9 out of 70-something
discovered samples, the rest being an unknown person,
most likely French who refused to provide his DNA.
As someone mentioned earlier, unless this DNA was
inside the syringe - what's to say that Dajka(sp?) didn't
just sneeze on the 'sharps bucket' whilst in French's room?
The more I read, the more rubbish I realise is being
unleashed via mainstream TV/newspapers...

hippy

Old August 3rd 04, 07:55 AM
Shane Stanley

In article ,
"hippy" wrote:

Cyclingnews had an interesting article which indicated that
Jobie(sp?) only had his DNA on 9 out of 70-something
discovered samples, the rest being an unknown person,
most likely French who refused to provide his DNA.

He didn't refuse; he wasn't asked for a sample. The aim of the testing
was to see if there was DNA from anyone other than French; it was
conceded on all sides that it would full of his DNA.

As someone mentioned earlier, unless this DNA was
inside the syringe - what's to say that Dajka(sp?) didn't
just sneeze on the 'sharps bucket' whilst in French's room?

"what's to say" is that, presented with the DNA evidence, he admitted
that he had lied earlier, and that he had in fact injected in French's
room.

The more I read, the more rubbish I realise is being
unleashed via mainstream TV/newspapers...

Well, yes. But it is a fairly complex story, and it's easy enough to get
the wrong end of the stick, or come to wrong conclusions.

--
Shane Stanley