How To Remove Brake Pads from Holder???

Old September 13th 04, 05:46 PM
Arthur Shapiro

Default How To Remove Brake Pads from Holder???

Well, I thought I was a pretty competent mechanic, but this one is
embarrasingly non-obvious.

The front shoes on my Campy brakes have gotten quite worn down, so I purchased
some replacement Cool Stop "Campy 2000" pads, being very pleased with that
company's product line in the past.

I can't figure out how best to remove the old pads!

Clearly they slide out to the rear, but they're really in there snugly. I
don't want to start taking a hammer and old screwdriver to the pads while
they're on the bike - that would be fairly abusive on the brakes and forks.

Taking the brake shoes off, and clamping the threaded post in a bench vise
looked promising, but I was afraid to clamp down too hard for fear of damaging
the threads, and thus it still wasn't rigid enough to hammer out the old
shoes.

I don't see any nifty Park tool for accomplishing this feat by pushing one
lever.

I thought about grinding away the old shoe with my Dremel, but had a hunch
this might be overkill.

So how do you wrenches handle this silly problem???

Art
Old September 14th 04, 03:53 AM
Tom R

I removed my Campy brake pads recently and they came out fairly easily. I
used a very thin bladed, small screwdriver and slipped the blade underneath
the pad at the rear opening. I then pried the pad out from the holder.
Inserting the pads, I used a bit of grease on the shoe and slid it back in.

Tom