Peugeot - all 531 or main tubes?

Old May 1st 05, 03:15 PM
Arthur Harris

Default Peugeot - all 531 or main tubes?

"Bob" wrote:
I've run across an early '70's Peugeot that has the "531 3 TUBES
RENFORCES" label. Did Peugeot build any bikes with just main tubes
in 531 or would the entire bike be 531 and the labels were just
different in France (Well, I know they were sometimes in French...
but did they omit the "tubes, forks, and stays" ?)

If the label says that, I'd be 90% certain only the three main tubes are
531.

My beater bike is built on a Schwinn Circuit frame whose label refers to
"Columbus SL Tretubi." That's the same thing. The remaining tubes are
Japanese made Tange.

I really wouldn't worry about it.

Art Harris

Old May 1st 05, 04:47 PM
Charlie Wilson

"Bob" wrote in message
I've run across an early '70's Peugeot that has the "531 3 TUBES
RENFORCES" label. Did Peugeot build any bikes with just main tubes
in 531 or would the entire bike be 531 and the labels were just
different in France (Well, I know they were sometimes in French...
but did they omit the "tubes, forks, and stays" ?)

Peugeot made a bike just as you've described, it was the little brother
to the all 531 PX10, and I seem to recall that it was called the PA10.

Old May 1st 05, 04:58 PM
Tim Lines

Charlie Wilson wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message

I've run across an early '70's Peugeot that has the "531 3 TUBES
RENFORCES" label. Did Peugeot build any bikes with just main tubes
in 531 or would the entire bike be 531 and the labels were just
different in France (Well, I know they were sometimes in French...
but did they omit the "tubes, forks, and stays" ?)

Peugeot made a bike just as you've described, it was the little brother
to the all 531 PX10, and I seem to recall that it was called the PA10.

The PR10 and the PKN10 had 531 main tubes and something else in the
stays as well.
Old May 2nd 05, 03:49 AM
A Muzi

Bob wrote:

I've run across an early '70's Peugeot that has the "531 3 TUBES
RENFORCES" label. Did Peugeot build any bikes with just main tubes
in 531 or would the entire bike be 531 and the labels were just
different in France (Well, I know they were sometimes in French...
but did they omit the "tubes, forks, and stays" ?)

Model PGN.
Yes, just as the label says, "3 main tubes are butted"
Reynolds 531.
At the time, PX-10 was 11 tubes Reynolds 531, PSV model was
3 tubes Super Vitus double butted, PBN model of high carbon
steel all of those with the same geometry.

There are many approaches to making an affordable second
model. One might trim a full premium tube bike to just 3
tubes as your Peugeot and Treks of the era. Others might use
the same tubes but cheaper lugs and crown, less filing time
and skimp on finish like 3Rensho and Raleigh. The Italians
often made the second model with the same finish and lugs
but use much less expensive ( Aelle, Zeta, Cromor) tube.

The idea is to lower the cost enough to sell more bikes
without damaging the trademarked name. Your bike, with a
cheaper frame and parts, was $200 less than a $600 PX-10.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old May 2nd 05, 06:03 PM
Donald Gillies

Bob writes:

I've run across an early '70's Peugeot that has the "531 3 TUBES
RENFORCES" label. Did Peugeot build any bikes with just main tubes
in 531 or would the entire bike be 531 and the labels were just
different in France (Well, I know they were sometimes in French...
but did they omit the "tubes, forks, and stays" ?)

The 3 main tubes (and forks) are probably the most important part of
the bike for 531 tubing. The 3 main tubes - if they are double butted
- give the bike a "springy" feel. The difference in ride feel is
probably inperceptible (as the difference in frame weight is probably
less than 8 oz). It would probably take a stopwatch to notice the
difference.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA
Old May 2nd 05, 07:48 PM
StaceyJ

11 tubes? Does this refer to the fork blades/steerer as well as the
frame's 8 tubes?

SYJ

Old May 3rd 05, 07:38 AM
A Muzi

StaceyJ wrote:
11 tubes? Does this refer to the fork blades/steerer as well as the
frame's 8 tubes?

Yep. Standard nomenclature

Inner tubes Colin Blackburn UK 2 April 8th 05 01:50 PM
3 tubes blown in 2 days-- wahh?? Rory Calhoun Techniques 0 April 7th 05 06:29 PM
F/S *** MICHELIN TUBES *** CritUSA Marketplace 6 November 5th 04 12:56 PM
Questions about Tubes... David White Techniques 2 May 30th 04 06:17 PM