Los Altos Hills bicyclist killed in big-rig crash was a mother,nurse and a 'go-getter'

Old December 24th 10, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hébert

Default Los Altos Hills bicyclist killed in big-rig crash was a mother,

On 12/23/2010 8:24 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:

How do you reserve five feet of the road for bikes alone, if it is
barely wide enough for cars?

And if it is wide enough to have 5 feet reserved for bikes, why would
you want to?
Unless your aim is to promote the idea that bicycles don't belong on
roads, of course.

Maybe to increase cycling.

From today's Montreal Gazette:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/trave...475/story.html

Old December 24th 10, 05:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Dec 23, 8:29*pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:

One woman I've mentioned before was at the bad end of the curve. *I
watched her topple three times in one bike ride, including while
trying to put her bike onto her car's rack. *She was famous clumsy,
despite looking slim and athletic.

That sure sounds like someone for whom cycling was dangerous, and
whose predilections would preclude being able to ride "competently,"
no matter how much somebody tried to beat that into her.
You convinced her she should wear a helmet, right?
DR
Old December 24th 10, 05:22 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
Opus[_2_]

Default Los Altos Hills bicyclist killed in big-rig crash was a mother,nurse and a 'go-getter'

On Dec 22, 11:56*pm, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 11/29/2010 4:15 PM, me wrote:

[...]

Why does being a mother get special notice? *Are other people less valuable?

--
T m Sherm n - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Well, yes, people who are not mothers are less valuable than mothers.
Mothers continue the species, often at great personal costs. The
father's job takes about 5 minutes or less, but the mother is
biologically on the job for the next 9 months of gestation plus 10-12
years as a minimum raising to puberty. So, those of us who know the
mysteries tend to have a great appreciation for mothers.
Old December 24th 10, 08:23 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 12/24/2010 10:22 AM, Opus the Poet wrote:
On Dec 22, 11:56 pm, Tºm Shermªn™ °_°""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 11/29/2010 4:15 PM, me wrote:

[...]

Why does being a mother get special notice? Are other people less valuable?

--
T m Sherm n - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Well, yes, people who are not mothers are less valuable than mothers.
Mothers continue the species, often at great personal costs. The
father's job takes about 5 minutes or less, but the mother is
biologically on the job for the next 9 months of gestation plus 10-12
years as a minimum raising to puberty. So, those of us who know the
mysteries tend to have a great appreciation for mothers.

So we should celebrate contributing to the ecosystem's destruction by
overpopulation?

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old December 24th 10, 08:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 12/24/2010 10:04 AM, Duane Hébert wrote:
On 12/23/2010 8:24 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:

How do you reserve five feet of the road for bikes alone, if it is
barely wide enough for cars?

And if it is wide enough to have 5 feet reserved for bikes, why would
you want to?
Unless your aim is to promote the idea that bicycles don't belong on
roads, of course.

Maybe to increase cycling.

From today's Montreal Gazette:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/trave...475/story.html

If so, only because too many people spend their time shouting

D A N G E R !

D A N G E R !

Old December 24th 10, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

Op 24-12-2010 20:23, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° schreef:
On 12/24/2010 10:22 AM, Opus the Poet wrote:
On Dec 22, 11:56 pm, Tºm Shermªn™ °_°""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 11/29/2010 4:15 PM, me wrote:

[...]

Why does being a mother get special notice? Are other people less
valuable?

--
T m Sherm n - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Well, yes, people who are not mothers are less valuable than mothers.
Mothers continue the species, often at great personal costs. The
father's job takes about 5 minutes or less, but the mother is
biologically on the job for the next 9 months of gestation plus 10-12
years as a minimum raising to puberty. So, those of us who know the
mysteries tend to have a great appreciation for mothers.

So we should celebrate contributing to the ecosystem's destruction by
overpopulation?

Do you talk like this to your mother? Man, go ride bike, bent, trike or
whatever...

Lou
Old December 25th 10, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Dec 24, 11:24*am, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 12/24/2010 10:04 AM, Duane Hébert wrote:

On 12/23/2010 8:24 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:

How do you reserve five feet of the road for bikes alone, if it is
barely wide enough for cars?

And if it is wide enough to have 5 feet reserved for bikes, why would
you want to?
Unless your aim is to promote the idea that bicycles don't belong on
roads, of course.

Maybe to increase cycling.

*From today's Montreal Gazette:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/trave...ide/4022475/st...

If so, only because too many people spend their time shouting

D * * * A * * * N * * * G * * * E * * * R * * * !

D * * * A * * * N * * * G * * * E * * * R * * * !

Hey, who needs shoring and trench jacks! I'll just dig a f****** hole
and jump in it! -- Jay Beattie.
Old December 25th 10, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

$southslope.net" wrote:
On 12/24/2010 10:04 AM, Duane Hébert wrote:

On 12/23/2010 8:24 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:

How do you reserve five feet of the road for bikes alone, if it is
barely wide enough for cars?

And if it is wide enough to have 5 feet reserved for bikes, why would
you want to?
Unless your aim is to promote the idea that bicycles don't belong on
roads, of course.

Maybe to increase cycling.

From today's Montreal Gazette:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/trave...ide/4022475/st...

If so, only because too many people spend their time shouting

D A N G E R !

D A N G E R !

Hey, who needs shoring and trench jacks! I'll just dig a f****** hole
and jump in it! -- Jay Beattie.

I got into it once with a job site superintendent, because my tech
refused to go down into a excavation, and I backed him up on it. The
excavation caved in just a couple of minutes after we got off the phone.
The tech would almost certainly have been killed if he had been in the
excavation.

Old December 25th 10, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Dec 24, 11:24 am, T m Sherm n _ ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" *wrote:
On 12/24/2010 10:04 AM, Duane H bert wrote:

[...]

Seriously, Jay, danger can be realistically evaluated. Nobody is
saying to ignore significant dangers, nor to abandon safety
precautions that demonstrably work. But in the bicycling world, there
is much exaggeration of minuscule dangers, and over-promotion of
measures with minuscule protective benefits.

Instead of saying "We need bike lanes and bike tracks and helmets to
be safe," why can't we admit that ordinary, correct cycling IS safe,
by any rational measure? Why is that idea being attacked here?

- Frank Krygowski
Old December 25th 10, 02:11 AM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
DirtRoadie

On Dec 24, 12:23*pm, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:

So we should celebrate contributing to the ecosystem's destruction by
overpopulation?

A good cause is worth sacrificing for. Tom, can we count on you to do
your part?

DR

Bicyclist killed in Norfolk Anton Berlin Racing 5 June 8th 09 07:36 PM
SUV Killed By Bicyclist soinie General 8 February 7th 05 07:35 PM
Bicyclist killed by SUV Ben Kaufman General 59 February 1st 05 12:17 AM