The Psychology of Mountain Biking

Old November 3rd 11, 04:08 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default The Psychology of Mountain Biking

The Psychology of Mountain Biking
Michael J. Vandeman, Ph.D.
January 24, 2000

“Violence does not live alone and is not capable of living alone: I is
necessarily interwoven with falsehood. Between them lies the most
intimate, the deepest of natural bonds. Violence finds its only refuge
in falsehood. … Any man who has once acclaimed violence as his method
must inexorably choose falsehood as his principle.” Aleksandr
Solzhenitsyn

For a psychologist, mountain biking is a fascinating phenomenon.

Lying

The first thing one notices about mountain bikers is that they lie
continually! For someone from my generation, raised to tell the truth
at all times, this is puzzling. Surely, they must know that everyone,
at least all those who aren't mountain bikers, can easily see through
them! For example, Oakland Councilwoman Nancy Nadel caught Eric
Muhler, President of the Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay,
publicly claiming that mountain biking in Joaquin Miller Park has
caused hardly any erosion! One look at Alec Karp's photographs of the
park is all it would take to know that he was lying. Similarly, the
vice president of ROMP ("Responsible Organized Mountain Pedalers"),
Patty Ciesla, was caught red-handed building an illegal trail.

Their favorite lie, of course, is that land managers who ban off-road
biking are banning mountain bikers. Actually, it is only their bikes
that are banned! It would be impossible to ban mountain bikers even if
we wanted to, since they don't look different from anyone else.

And they aren't doing their already rotten image much good. Since none
of them ever admit lying, we can only guess at their motivation. The
best that I have been able to come up with is that they don't believe
that they can justify their selfish, destructive sport except by
lying. Well, … yes, of course! Since mountain biking destroys wildlife
habitat, drives away wildlife and other trail users, and benefits only
the mountain bikers, it is hard to see how anyone can justify allowing
mountain biking in any natural area.

Similarly, it is hard to explain why land managers lie so frequently,
when asked why they allow mountain biking. For example, a ranger at
China Camp State Park told me that mountain biking is causing "no
erosion". An equestrian familiar with the park then told me that the
bikers were "turning the trails into powder"! I guess that the land
managers are afraid to admit that they have allowed political
pressure -- or, in some cases, free trail maintenance provided by the
mountain bikers -- to cloud their better judgment.

Mountain Biking as an Addiction

Recently I suddenly realized why this pattern seemed so familiar:
they act exactly like the drug addicts that I knew when I worked with
Synanon Foundation! They demonstrate the same willingness to take
enormous risks, just to continue their "habit". They risk their image,
their job, their relationships, their freedom, even their life, just
to continue seeking the ultimate "high". Many subscribe to mountain
biking mailing lists at work, risking losing their job. Thousands risk
arrest and fines for riding illegally or even building illegal trails
on public and private land. The "Sedona Five" took advantage of a
temporary closure of Grand Canyon National Park to ride down the North
Kaibab Trail, which is closed to bikes (and got arrested). Taking
serious risks to continue a habit of doubtful value is the best
indicator of a true addiction. In mountain biking newsgroups they
exchange stories about their latest "high" (riding "sweet
singletrack"), with extra points given for experiences that were
dangerous, illegal, or both.

When caught riding on trails closed to bikes, in my experience, they
lie ("I didn't know it is closed" -- but they don't offer to leave!),
threaten ("I'm going to bust your head"), and even physically attack
whoever tells them to leave the closed area (one biker rode back up
the trail, turned around, and then rode into the guy who had told him
the trail is closed, as fast as he could, knocking him bloody). That
is a lot of risk to take, just in order to ride one trail illegally!
And a good sign that they are addicted. Indeed, many of them, in their
discussions on the Internet, describe mountain biking as an
"addiction".

Mountain Biking as an Image Enhancer

Another psychological factor, of course, is the image boost that the
sport and its accoutrements give to rebellious young people, just as
racing bikes did for an earlier generation (hardly any of whom
actually raced!). The knobby tires and "hardened" frames clearly say
"I'm tough. Don't cross me!" The names attached to the bikes and tires
("Velociraptor", "Omega-Bite", "Incisor") reinforce that image, as do
the photos in mountain bike magazines of bikers flying through the air
(getting "big air"). These bikes are clearly intended to indicate that
they will help you "conquer nature" (while, ironically, actually
insuring that you will have even less contact with that nature, due to
their speed, lack of contact with the ground, and suspension
systems!).

Narcissism

Closely related to image is their narcissism: they apparently have no
awareness of, or interest in, the welfare or feelings of the wildlife
and people around them. Hikers who are young or elderly, and are
afraid of being hit, are ignored or termed "unreasonable". People who
say that they go to parks to experience peace and tranquility, and to
get away from all signs of civilization, are called "selfish".
Mountain bikers want to ride on trails that are as narrow as possible
-- exactly the trails that are too narrow to accommodate both bikers
and other trail users!

Cognitive Dissonance

Yet another factor explaining their insistence on biking at all
costs, even at the risk of getting arrested, is embodied in the
psychological term "Cognitive Dissonance": after spending often more
than $3000 for their bike, it would be very embarrassing and
upsetting if they had nowhere to ride it!

Perhaps this explains why, after years of talking about how they are
going to put an end to the erosion damage, illegal riding, and illegal
trail building in Joaquin Miller Park, the mountain bikers are
continuing all of those activities unabated.

Monomania

All land management plans are evaluated by a single criterion: do
they provide "sweet" (attractive), "technical" (difficult to ride)
"singletrack" (narrow trails)? The President could be about to
designate a million acres of new wilderness, but they don't care. All
they care about is "will I be allowed to mountain bike there?" (in
wilderness, no).

Laziness

Why ride a bike, when you can walk? Only because you can get to your
destination a lot faster and with a lot less energy. In spite of their
muscular, "hard-body" appearance, mountain bikers are lazy! "People
who must ride on sumthin' to get into the back country are essentially
lazy" (Larry Kralj).

Bad Role Modelling

Mountain biking also provides very bad role modeling for our children.
Whether or not a bike is ever ridden off-road, any child looking at
one will get the impression that it is used to tear up wildlife
habitat, and that this is okay.

Paradox

Mountain bikers claim to want just what we all want -- the experience
of nature in all her pristine glory. However, the very fact that they
ride on a bike denies them that experience! They move too fast to
truly experience what they are seeing. They have to pay attention to
their "driving", to avoid crashing. They are insulated from feeling
the ground by distance, tires, and expensive suspension systems. And
they (in common with other trail users, of course, although to a much
greater degree) destroy nature in the very act of "appreciating" it.
Old November 4th 11, 06:25 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Kayak 44

On Nov 3, 12:08*pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:
The Psychology of Mountain Biking
Michael J. Vandeman, Ph.D.
January 24, 2000

“Violence does not live alone and is not capable of living alone: I is
necessarily interwoven with falsehood. Between them lies the most
intimate, the deepest of natural bonds. Violence finds its only refuge
in falsehood. … Any man who has once acclaimed violence as his method
must inexorably choose falsehood as his principle.” Aleksandr
Solzhenitsyn

For a psychologist, mountain biking is a fascinating phenomenon.

Lying

Lying is what you did in court.

Old November 5th 11, 12:15 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On Nov 4, 11:25*am, Kayak 44 wrote:
On Nov 3, 12:08*pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:

The Psychology of Mountain Biking
Michael J. Vandeman, Ph.D.
January 24, 2000

“Violence does not live alone and is not capable of living alone: I is
necessarily interwoven with falsehood. Between them lies the most
intimate, the deepest of natural bonds. Violence finds its only refuge
in falsehood. … Any man who has once acclaimed violence as his method
must inexorably choose falsehood as his principle.” Aleksandr
Solzhenitsyn

For a psychologist, mountain biking is a fascinating phenomenon.

Lying

Lying is what you did in court.

Quote one of my alleged lies, liar (hint: you can't, because there
weren't any; and besides that, you have no idea what I said).
Old November 5th 11, 05:47 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc
Dubravko Bezich

On Nov 3, 11:08*am, Mike Vandeman wrote:
The Psychology of Mountain Biking
Michael J. Vandeman, Ph.D.
January 24, 2000

For a psychologist, mountain biking is a fascinating phenomenon.

I did not realize until I read this and previous posts by Dr.
Vandeman that cycling could be niche area for psychology and sociology
research. A few others (non-scholars, not as erudite as Dr. Vandeman)
have considered social, psychological, and political implications of
bicycling in general and mountain biking.

(I share his concerns but not the hostility expressed in these posts,
well-written as they are!)

--Dub, more hiker than biker

Article: Fear of Cycling by Dave Horton from Thinking About Cycling
blog UK
http://thinkingaboutcycling.wordpres...ar-of-cycling/

Cycling has formed part of UK society for over a century. For much of
that time, the bicycle was the most numerous vehicle on the roads, a
major means of everyday mobility (Alderson 1972; McGurn 1999). But the
amount of cycling in the UK has fallen dramatically and more or less
continuously over the last half century------Across government,
cycling is now seen as ‘a good thing’. But despite growing pro-cycling
rhetoric and policy in the UK, many people appear remarkably reluctant
to ‘get on their bikes’. Why?----- But what about emotional barriers
to cycling?----Numerous studies have shown fear to be a significant
barrier to cycling------Anthony Armstrong Says---What a pleasure to
read this article because it delves so much deeper in to the real
reasons many people either do not embrace the bike in the first place,
or abandon it after the late teens period (in recent generations co
terminus with the legally sanctioned age to acquire a driving licence)

Old November 5th 11, 07:46 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

"Dubravko Bezich" wrote in message
[...]
I did not realize until I read this and previous posts by Dr.

Vandeman that cycling could be niche area for psychology and sociology
research. A few others (non-scholars, not as erudite as Dr. Vandeman)
have considered social, psychological, and political implications of
bicycling in general and mountain biking.

(I share his concerns but not the hostility expressed in these posts,

well-written as they are!)

If you had ever had to deal with the criminality of mountain bikers you
would not be so charitable towards them. Mr. Vandeman may be somewhat
hostile, but I hate them with a passion. Anyone who trespasses on a hiking
trail with a bicycle should be executed on the spot.

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old November 6th 11, 12:29 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Kayak 44

On Nov 4, 8:15*pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:
On Nov 4, 11:25*am, Kayak 44 wrote:

On Nov 3, 12:08*pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:

The Psychology of Mountain Biking
Michael J. Vandeman, Ph.D.
January 24, 2000

“Violence does not live alone and is not capable of living alone: I is
necessarily interwoven with falsehood. Between them lies the most
intimate, the deepest of natural bonds. Violence finds its only refuge
in falsehood. … Any man who has once acclaimed violence as his method
must inexorably choose falsehood as his principle.” Aleksandr
Solzhenitsyn

For a psychologist, mountain biking is a fascinating phenomenon.

Lying

Lying is what you did in court.

Quote one of my alleged lies, liar (hint: you can't, because there
weren't any; and besides that, you have no idea what I said).

Most of what you said has been posted online by those who were there,
criminal.
Old November 6th 11, 02:33 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On Nov 5, 5:29*pm, Kayak 44 wrote:
[...]

So you are incapable of quoting a single lie? That makes you a liar,
which we already knew, of course.
Old November 7th 11, 03:29 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
charley

On Nov 5, 8:33*pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:

[...]

hey mike hows that "fighting auto dependency" thing working out for
you?
Old November 7th 11, 05:17 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

"charley" wrote in message
[...]

hey mike hows that "fighting auto dependency" thing working out for
you?

hey charley hows that "brain deficit" thing working out for you?

Old November 14th 11, 02:23 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
charley

On Nov 7, 11:17*am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"charley" wrote in message

[...]

hey mike hows that "fighting auto dependency" thing working out for
you?

hey charley hows that "brain deficit" thing working out for you?

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

oh how cute! taking up for your hero for a question he cant answer or
it exposes is failure at his life ambition. mike must be proud!