What a waste

Old June 13th 20, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

Default What a waste

With most U.S. stores having no bikes, I did a search for why china is not making bikes. I found this.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...trys-arrogance

Article is 2 years old, but what a friggin waste.

Shipping to u.s. can not be much. Load them on a barge and sell for $10 each.

Andy
Old June 14th 20, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Sat, 13 Jun 2020 13:41:47 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

With most U.S. stores having no bikes, I did a search for why china is not making bikes. I found this.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...trys-arrogance

Article is 2 years old, but what a friggin waste.

Shipping to u.s. can not be much. Load them on a barge and sell for $10 each.

Andy

I can't say about the U.S. but both Japan and China do ship container
loads of second hand bicycles to Thailand and I assume other
countries.

As for shipping to the U.S.
I just checked and a 20 foot container is quoted at 1,200 - 1,500
dollars, Shanghai to San Diego and one 20 ft container can hold about
500 bikes so (roughly) 1500/500 = $3.00.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 14th 20, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

wrote:

With most U.S. stores having no bikes, I did a search for why china is not making bikes. I found this.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...trys-arrogance

Article is 2 years old, but what a friggin waste.

Shipping to u.s. can not be much. Load them on a barge and sell for $10 each.

Andy

I can't say about the U.S. but both Japan and China do ship container
loads of second hand bicycles to Thailand and I assume other
countries.

As for shipping to the U.S.
I just checked and a 20 foot container is quoted at 1,200 - 1,500
dollars, Shanghai to San Diego and one 20 ft container can hold about
500 bikes so (roughly) 1500/500 = $3.00.
--
cheers,

John B.

Interesting.

So $3 a bike for shipping.

If they sold for $10 x 500 = $5000

5000 - 1500 = 3500 profit

I am sure those bike would go for way more than $10.

But they are probable pretty rusty after 2 yrs.

:-)

Andy
Old June 14th 20, 05:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

Well, I can't say for all of them but I've bought two from a second
hand bike dealer here. Both from Japan, or at least Japanese made, and
certainly 15 or more years old and neither were "pretty rusty" :-)
But then, I paid more than $10 for each of them :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 14th 20, 06:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

With most U.S. stores having no bikes, I did a search for why china is not making bikes. I found this.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...trys-arrogance
Article is 2 years old, but what a friggin waste.
Shipping to u.s. can not be much. Load them on a barge and sell for $10 each.
Andy

If the bicycles in the pile are similar to the Uber/Jump eBikes, they
will weigh 70 lbs (32 kg). Would you want to ride such a heavy
bicycle? Want to try hanging it on your vehicle bicycle carrier or
garage wall hanger? I wouldn't.

Some of the failed bike share machines are being resold in the US:
https://slate.com/technology/2019/07/ofo-spin-lime-bike-share-recycle.html

Or enshrined in a museum:
https://bikesharemuseum.com

A clue is that even the local bicycle thieves didn't bother stealing
them.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old June 14th 20, 07:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

You’d think that would be a feature and not a bug.

Old June 14th 20, 08:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

With most U.S. stores having no bikes, I did a search for why china is not making bikes. I found this.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...trys-arrogance
Article is 2 years old, but what a friggin waste.
Shipping to u.s. can not be much. Load them on a barge and sell for $10 each.
Andy

If the bicycles in the pile are similar to the Uber/Jump eBikes, they
will weigh 70 lbs (32 kg). Would you want to ride such a heavy
bicycle? Want to try hanging it on your vehicle bicycle carrier or
garage wall hanger? I wouldn't.

I don't think so. The video at
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...trys-arrogance
Shows a bloke picking one up, over his head, and it certainly didn't
look like a 70 lb bicycle.

Old June 14th 20, 11:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

Jeff Liebermann jeffl @cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Thanks for the research.

At 70 lbs, I can see why no one would want to steal them.

Andy
Old June 14th 20, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

With most U.S. stores having no bikes, I did a search for why china is not making bikes. I found this.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...trys-arrogance

Article is 2 years old, but what a friggin waste.

Shipping to u.s. can not be much. Load them on a barge and sell for $10 each.

Andy

I can't say about the U.S. but both Japan and China do ship container
loads of second hand bicycles to Thailand and I assume other
countries.

As for shipping to the U.S.
I just checked and a 20 foot container is quoted at 1,200 - 1,500
dollars, Shanghai to San Diego and one 20 ft container can hold about
500 bikes so (roughly) 1500/500 = $3.00.

In 1898 when the US bicycle industry collapsed, ships full
of bicycles were sent out around the world and many were
simply dumped as not saleable at any price. Consult Mr
Krygowski for the pernicious effects of fashion and its lack.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 14th 20, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

With most U.S. stores having no bikes, I did a search for why china is not making bikes. I found this.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...trys-arrogance
Article is 2 years old, but what a friggin waste.
Shipping to u.s. can not be much. Load them on a barge and sell for $10 each.
Andy

If the bicycles in the pile are similar to the Uber/Jump eBikes, they
will weigh 70 lbs (32 kg). Would you want to ride such a heavy
bicycle? Want to try hanging it on your vehicle bicycle carrier or
garage wall hanger? I wouldn't.

Jump bike weight from Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_(transportation_company)
"The bikes are a bright red orange and weigh 70 pounds (32 kg)."
We had these in Santa Cruz for a while. I tried to lift one out of a
parking place on the street and onto the sidewalk. I couldn't lift it
easily, and had to drag it a short distance.

Lime bike is 73.1 lbs:
https://www.bikeswift.com/blogs/bike-swift-blog/seattles-bike-share-comparison
"The Lime bike we tested weighs in at 73.1 lbs, and the
Jump bike at 74.0 lbs. For comparison, that behemoth of
an ebike pictured at the top of this post with the Jump
and Lime bikes is the Benno Carry-On. It's equipped with
our 28mph/500 watt electric assist, is capable of carrying
passengers, has wider tires and a larger frame, and
weighs 58.2 lbs"

I don't think so. The video at
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...trys-arrogance
Shows a bloke picking one up, over his head, and it certainly didn't
look like a 70 lb bicycle.

The bicycle being lifted in the video at 1:14 seems to be an Ofo:
https://www.shinyshiny.tv/2018/01/review-ofo-dockless-bicycle-system.html
which weighs 16 kg (35.3 lbs). Perhpas the Chinese believe that
Americans could use some more exercise?

Some of the failed bike share machines are being resold in the US:
https://slate.com/technology/2019/07/ofo-spin-lime-bike-share-recycle.html

Or enshrined in a museum:
https://bikesharemuseum.com

A clue is that even the local bicycle thieves didn't bother stealing
them.

70 lbs bicycles do constitute a "grab and go" theft deterent.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

What a waste of a life Mrcheerful[_3_] UK 10 May 23rd 12 07:53 PM
Waste of money Rik Van Slick Racing 19 April 5th 10 12:44 PM
So here is some total waste Anton Berlin Racing 6 August 4th 09 05:05 AM
Wot a waste [email protected] UK 11 February 28th 08 08:24 AM
Waste of a bike. Bill Baka General 15 April 13th 06 02:51 PM