Bike chains and special connecting links

Old December 16th 06, 09:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

Default Bike chains and special connecting links

Bill Westphal wrote:

On 2006-12-15, Lou Holtman wrote:

On 2006-12-15, Paul Kopit wrote:

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 12:17:40 -0600, Ben C wrote:

[...deleted...]

The Sram 10 speed link is intended for one time use only.

[...deleted...]

I think even SRAM thinks a 10 speed is too tricky to use the powerlock
more then once. Still a better solution then Campagnolo's or Shimano's.
If you want a reusable link on a 10 speed get the connex one. I use it
for 5 years now.

Lou

Why do you think it's one-time use only?

Because SRAM says so. See the tecnical videos (cassette and chain) on
their website: NOT reusable, can NOT be opened by hand once installed etc.

The standalone powerlock
costs more than either the 10-speed superlink or connex links, and
considerably more than the (9-sp) reusable SRAM Powerlink. I'd be
pretty upset if I bought a new SRAM 10 chain and found out it costs
about $15 to remove the chain for cleaning.

Well you upset now then. A powerlock costs about EURO 4 here in Europe
and it is cheaper than a 10 speed connex link (EURO 7)and it is much
more cheaper than the one time Campagnolo solution which costs EURO 15
and the special and very expensive chaintool.

I too only use connex and
am surprised to finally see a 10-speed SRAM chain. It never would have
occured to me it's a one-time use link, as that would defeat the entire
purpose of the product.

The problem is that closing a 10 speed chain in a secure way is finicky.
Both SRAM and Campagnolo have figured out a solution that is more or
less user independable. I think the SRAM way is much more elegant than
the Campagnolo way.

I suppose someone could call SRAM for
clarification (the website seems to imply it's reusable),

No it doesn't. See above.

but I've got
about a 2 year supply of Connex chains, so can wait for the answer.
There's still no stainless SRAM for salty rides.

Keep using them. There is nothing special to a SRAM chain.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu