Hazards of horse manure?

Old November 14th 05, 03:27 AM
Werehatrack

Default Hazards of horse manure?

On 13 Nov 2005 14:20:48 -0800, wrote:

Hi all,

The weather has turned sloppy and I find myself riding on bike paths
and trails that have at times large quantitlies of horse manure on
them. Mixed in with a primordial soup of rotten leaves, dead worms,
road grime, and other sundries. Since it has been raining for weeks now
there is spray everywhere and some of this manure ends up on my water
bottle and presumably in my mouth.

How much effort should I put into not consuming trace amounts of
manure? What are the potential infections, etc one risks in such a
situation? I ask this becuse I have been quite ill for 3 days now and
have not eaten anything that was not also eaten by my family, nor have
I been anywhere they have not been, besides on wet sloppy rides, and
they are fine.

Coliform bacteria are just the start of what's likely to be in that
muck. Until the trails clear up so that your water bottle isn't being
contaminated, I'd strongly recommend carrying it in a large belt pack,
or using a hydration backpack instead.

Meanwhile, get thee to a physician, sirrah; you probably have a
giardia, coli, or other gastrointestinal infestation. Untreated, many
of these can lead to severe dehydration and grave risk. Literally.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old November 14th 05, 11:08 AM

Pat wrote:
: There are many diseases transmitted from animals to humans. West Nile,
: Lyme, and Anthrax are all examples of diseases common to horses and
: humans. I can't say if fecal matter is a vector for these, however. Were
: it me, I'd make a great effort not to ingest horse fecal matter. Unlike
: others here, I think your concerns valid.

I didn't say his concerns weren't valid; I said he should tell this stuff to
his doctor. We can't diagnose his illness and we can't cure him. Another
little bug he could have? Giardia lamblia. And all his posting to newsgroups
isn't going to get rid of that one!

I'm not looking for a diagnosis, but rather useful information. It has
been my experience that the cumulative knowledege found in the regulars
of a good newsgroup such as this is far greater than any one local
expert I have access to. No matter what the subject. Be it medicine,
physics, chemistry, tubular glue, you name it. Someone here knows lots
about everything.

If I go to a doctor (which will involve sitting around in a waiting
room, filling out forms, and getting sent to different places all while
trying to keep my sphincter closed) all I will get is, "Take it easy,
drink fluids, and come back if it doesn't get better. You can pay at
the cashier." (I will spare everyone my opinion of socialized medicine
as practiced in Norway) When I start asking about horse manure on bike
paths, the doc's eyes will glaze over and I will get referred to some
type of group therapy!

I will eventually get better, none the wiser as to whether splattered
manure on my bottle is a hazard worth avoiding. If the chance for
infection is of lotto magnitude, I won't bother with wasting time
finding bottles with caps, or risking crashing by wiping the bottles
and eyeing them for crud everytime I drink instead of watching where I
am going. But perhaps it is not.

I've lost 6 kg in the last 3 days, and if I am not improving by
tommorrow I will go see a doctor, which may help my current situation,
but it is prevention I am really interested in.

Joseph

Old November 14th 05, 11:14 AM
Derk

Derk wrote:

I missed the part where you tell you're ill. You could have a virus, but you
could also have a bacterial infection of course. Though there are many
horses and manure here, I've never had some illness after drinking water
from a dirty waterbottle. When I see it's filthy I don't drink out of it
any more, since it doesn't look that attractive to dribnk from it.

I would also see a doctor if things get worse or if it lasts a long time.
They can always take a sample and see if you have any bacteria that are
strange to the human body.

Greetings, Derk
Old November 14th 05, 10:11 PM
41

wrote:

How much effort should I put into not consuming trace amounts of
manure?

As much effort as is necessary to avoid consuming manure. Yes plants
grow in it, but it should be composted first. The use of uncomposted
manure as fertilizer in commercial agriculture (not to mention the use
of sewer sludge) is a dangerous practice. Bacteria and viri are very
small and there can be huge numbers in a small amount of carrier.

Zefal waterbottles come with a plastic cover. But a better bet would be
full coverage fenders and mudflaps. Could save you a lot of misery. You
will need the clearance to avoid them blocking up though.

6kg loss and three days of illness is a lot. See a doctor. Home cure is
to eat only yogourt with active bacterial cultures for a day or two.
Will not work for viral infection, or bacteria that produce serious
toxins.

Horse manure carries tetanus, which can enter through even very tiny
scratches. Get a shot, now.

http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/t0756e/T0756E07.htm

Old November 14th 05, 11:06 PM
Matt O'Toole

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 03:27:16 +0000, Werehatrack wrote:

[...]

This was actually a big reason many off-road riders switched to Camelbacks
-- especially after a well-known racer was afflicted with Giardia. I got
it myself, probably from my water bottles being splashed during stream
crossings.

Matt O.

Old November 14th 05, 11:45 PM
Pat

: I've lost 6 kg in the last 3 days, and if I am not improving by
: tommorrow I will go see a doctor, which may help my current situation,
: but it is prevention I am really interested in.
:
: Joseph

You remind me of my mother; she hates to go to the doctor so much that she
comes up with these scenarios as to what will happen at the doctor's office.
Then, she convinces herself that nothing will come of it, anyway. I always
wait until the end of the story and then say, "And where did you get your
medical diploma?"

Pat
:

Old November 15th 05, 10:32 AM

Pat wrote:
: I've lost 6 kg in the last 3 days, and if I am not improving by
: tommorrow I will go see a doctor, which may help my current situation,
: but it is prevention I am really interested in.
:
: Joseph

You remind me of my mother; she hates to go to the doctor so much that she
comes up with these scenarios as to what will happen at the doctor's office.
Then, she convinces herself that nothing will come of it, anyway. I always
wait until the end of the story and then say, "And where did you get your
medical diploma?"

Pat
:

What part of a medical education involves forcing folks to wait in
confined spaces with other sick folks and to pay for dubious services?
I'm with your mom on this one! :-)

Joseph