BMX for grownups

Old January 18th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default BMX for grownups

I've had a resurgence of interest in BMX riding, I think I want to
finally own a cool BMX bike like the ones I lusted after (but could
not afford) when I was in the fourth grade.

I'm 6' 2" and 200#, is there a 20" wheeled bike that will fit me? What
sizing metrics do I need to worry about? I've looked around at the
bikes and there seems to be one size in BMX. How do I make it fit me?

I just wanna go bunny hop some curbs and tool around the neighborhood.
Old January 19th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Dave" dave at hfp acoustical wrote in message
I've had a resurgence of interest in BMX riding, I think I want to
finally own a cool BMX bike like the ones I lusted after (but could
not afford) when I was in the fourth grade.

I'm 6' 2" and 200#, is there a 20" wheeled bike that will fit me? What
sizing metrics do I need to worry about? I've looked around at the
bikes and there seems to be one size in BMX. How do I make it fit me?

I just wanna go bunny hop some curbs and tool around the neighborhood.

Are you set on having 20 inchers? Thought about a 24 or 26 inch wheeled
cruiser? The Texas Cruzer looks like a lot of fun.

Old January 19th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Dave wrote:

I've had a resurgence of interest in BMX riding, I think I want to
finally own a cool BMX bike like the ones I lusted after (but could
not afford) when I was in the fourth grade.

I'm 6' 2" and 200#, is there a 20" wheeled bike that will fit me? What
sizing metrics do I need to worry about? I've looked around at the
bikes and there seems to be one size in BMX. How do I make it fit me?

I just wanna go bunny hop some curbs and tool around the neighborhood.

Better 20" frames are sized by top tube length and yes there
are lots of frames for guys your size.

My muscular employee your size spins the bike around in
various planes in midair and remounts as it lands. (among
other seemingly impossible -yet graceful- weird moves) If
that turns you on, you are not alone. By a long shot.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old January 19th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

gooserider wrote:
Are you set on having 20 inchers? Thought about a 24 or 26 inch wheeled
cruiser? The Texas Cruzer looks like a lot of fun.

Ever watched a PROPS video? You just can't swing a big bike
around like a twenty.

Old January 19th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Dave wrote:
I've had a resurgence of interest in BMX riding, I think I want to
finally own a cool BMX bike like the ones I lusted after (but could
not afford) when I was in the fourth grade.

I'm 6' 2" and 200#, is there a 20" wheeled bike that will fit me? What
sizing metrics do I need to worry about? I've looked around at the
bikes and there seems to be one size in BMX. How do I make it fit me?

I just wanna go bunny hop some curbs and tool around the neighborhood.

Consider a 26"-wheeled urban bike like the Specialized P-series and the
Giant STP series. Most of these are beefed-up aluminum-framed bikes (except
the P-street) that are designed to take a beating. They come in a size
short and long. If you aren't quite smooth, then 20-inch-wheeled bikes have
wheels that are far, far stronger than 26" ones. On the other hand,
20-inchers require more finesse and smoothness because of the fully-rigid
everything. In other words, if you don't have a lot of time to practice
your technique, go for the 26er first.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old January 19th 06, 05:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Andy, is BMX big in your area?
Jim

Old January 19th 06, 06:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Dear Dave,

Get a pro XL or XXL model. Supercross makes a pretty good ride. Or if
you can find a used Y2K or 2K1 model GT Box Pro XL, they're good. Giant
Mosh is a good solid ride. The new BMX bikes are faster-handling than
the old ones, maybe because tracks have become more "technical." A
typical 20 will have a chainstay 15" or less. Most BMX bikes measdure
the top tube center-to-center and a 21" to 21.5" length should be about
right for your size.

Good luck

jn

"Thursday"

Old January 19th 06, 06:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Dave wrote:
I've had a resurgence of interest in BMX riding, I think I want to
finally own a cool BMX bike like the ones I lusted after (but could
not afford) when I was in the fourth grade.

I'm 6' 2" and 200#, is there a 20" wheeled bike that will fit me? What
sizing metrics do I need to worry about? I've looked around at the
bikes and there seems to be one size in BMX. How do I make it fit me?

I just wanna go bunny hop some curbs and tool around the neighborhood.

As others have said, they're sized by top tube length. I think that the
largest 20" frame made is the Macneil Deuce Deuce at 22", although
there might be some others that are that long or longer. Note that
stock BMX bikes, and especially sub-$400ish ones- seldom have top tubes
in the longer end of the "grown up" lengths. You'd probably need to get
a frame seperately. However, BMX fit is pretty much completely
subjective. Some will disagree with that, and there are some sizing
considerations that can be quantified, but it's pretty ridiculous to
see sizing 6'+ tall riders to 20" bikes as a science. There's no one
particular size to go to that you can know will "fit" you. And
depending on what exactly you're after, you may want to look at going
with a 24" BMX. Also remember the other sizing parameters - crank
length, handlebar height, width, and angle, and seatpost setback
(although that's not much of a factor with many types of riding I
think).

Old January 19th 06, 06:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Dave wrote:
I've had a resurgence of interest in BMX riding, I think I want to
finally own a cool BMX bike like the ones I lusted after (but could
not afford) when I was in the fourth grade.

I'm 6' 2" and 200#, is there a 20" wheeled bike that will fit me? What
sizing metrics do I need to worry about? I've looked around at the
bikes and there seems to be one size in BMX. How do I make it fit me?

I just wanna go bunny hop some curbs and tool around the neighborhood.

Then you need a Redline Monocog:
http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adultbikes/monocog.html

It's sized like a MTB with 26" wheels, but has the simplicity of a BMX
ride.

Pretty affordable from what I remember.

Old January 19th 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 18 Jan 2006 22:29:36 -0800, "Nate Knutson"
wrote:
However, BMX fit is pretty much completely
subjective. Some will disagree with that, and there are some sizing
considerations that can be quantified, but it's pretty ridiculous to
see sizing 6'+ tall riders to 20" bikes as a science.

That's kind of what I was thinking.

I'll try a long top tube frame, taller bars, and a higher seatpost.

And I'm not going to ride for miles and miles, at least not without
falling off (while trying a stupid stunt) a few times....