Inexing conversion - more Campy questions

Old December 13th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Inexing conversion - more Campy questions

For a Campy Racing T derailleur, what is the maximum cog in can
accommodate, and what is the chain wrap capability?

If I get a used wheelset with a Campy Record 10 speed hub, do i need to
use the Record cassette or can I use a cheaper one. Will the cheaper
cassettes affect (i.e. wear) the aluminum freewheel body on a Record
hub?.

Thanks!

Ken (aka Road Fan, but my true secret identity is kenbikeman)

Old December 14th 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
The Wolff Den

I'm no expert but I recall my Racing T's came with literature
suggesting they were made work with up to a 28 rear cog. Isn't that
the largest that Campy offers as well?

I'm pretty sure you could set it up to work fine w/ a 30 if you adjust
it and the chain length carefully.

MW

Old December 14th 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Hank Wirtz wrote:
wrote:
For a Campy Racing T derailleur, what is the maximum cog in can
accommodate, and what is the chain wrap capability?

On my long cage 9sp Veloce, I have an 11-32 SRAM cassette with
conversion spacers, and a 52-42-30 Veloce crank. The RD clears the 32t
cog just fine, but I need a 116 link chain (SRAMs come standard at 114,
Shimanos are 116) and have a little droop in the 30-11 combo, which
should never be used anyway. My setup has 43t of difference, so I guess
that would give a total capacity of a hair under that - 40 or 41 teeth
of wrap?

The Racing T rear derailleur was a medium cage. Back then Campagnolo
had short cage and medium cage. They now make all of their rear
derailleurs in short, medium, and long. The long is very long. I
tried a medium cage with a 52-42-24 rings and 13-28 cassette. The
medium cage did not wrap up enough chain for me when using the inner
ring with the smallest 4 or 5 cogs. Long cage works on all cogs with a
24 inner ring.

My short, medium, and long cage rear derailleurs all clear a 28 tooth
rear cog. Medium and long clear a 29 tooth rear cog. Never tried the
short cage with the 29 cog.

Old December 15th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

wrote:
Hank Wirtz wrote:
wrote:
[...]

we have this on our Waterford demo bike, double full sized crank and it
works just fine and dandy..large-large to small-small.

Old December 15th 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
Hank Wirtz wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Anybody have the cage lengths for what Campy considers long and medium
these days?

If I go with Campy wheels I'll use the 13-29 10 speed, and if I go with
Shimano wheels I'll use (probably) the Sheldon custom "Century"
pattern, 13-30. With a 52 T large chainwheel, I don't need any gears
taller than 104 inches.

How do I tell what year my rear derailleur is? I don't see any patent
marks. The cranks don't have any diamond numbers on the arms, like
Nuovo Record and Super Record. The chainwheels do have some markings,
and diamond C's. I assume my front der, rear der, and crankset are the
same year, since the Ebay seller said they were take-offs from same new
bike. Not reliable, but the best info I have.

Ken