Shipping a 36er

Old July 22nd 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steveyo

Default Shipping a 36er

Just a heads-up to anyone who may sell or ship a 36er...

I just sold my old Radial 360 on eBay. I live on the east cost of the
US and the buyer (Tyler_N on this forum) lives in California. In my
auction I put $50 shipping cost, but I badly underestimated.

It turned out to cost $97 to ship via FEDEX Ground in two boxes, though
if I stuffed everything into one box, it may have been a bit less.
Since I included two pairs of cranks, I wanted to keep them separate,
in case they rattled around too much, damaging the frame of the
Radial.

UPS and USPS both cost more.

--
steveyo

steveyo
...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

- a few 'uni race write-ups'
(http://home.nycap.rr.com/rduhan/uni_race_writeups/)
- muni and kokopelli uni 't-shirts, mugs and stickers'
(http://www.cafepress.com/steveyo)
Old July 22nd 08, 10:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
phlegm

lpounds wrote:
I cringe to think of what a bike would cost to ship.

I've shipped a road bike before. It was in the $80-100 range in one
box with UPS. A 36er weighs about the same and requires a similarly
large box.

--
phlegm
Old July 22nd 08, 10:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steveyo

lpounds wrote:
This is somewhat upsetting news. Is that really the cheapest price
possible for shipping a 36er? Where did you get the box?

I cringe to think of what a bike would cost to ship.

I used the box my Coker Big One came in. It had such great foam and
stuff, I was going to use it as is, but the shipping for that box - 42
x 42 x 13, was going to be like $130+

So I cut the box down and made one 36 x 36 x 9. That box cost about
$90, and the other $20, and I got an eBay discount.

Old July 22nd 08, 10:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
qhxakg

Yeah I had a similar experience.

To ship a 24 dx from PA to NM it was going to cost $41 to ship. So he
is bringing it to TX to cut the shipping price in half.

--
qhxakg

If somebody tells you your tricks are gay, ask them if they are an
expert in gay trickery.
-Ivan-
~o"o~'Unicycle for The Flying Spaghetti Monster'
(http://www.venganza.org/)~o"o~
Old July 22nd 08, 10:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tomkarches

Coker charges $65 for two day FedEx shipping. One big box. You are
probably much better off pricewise sending one big box rather than 2
smaller ones...you could use your Coker box....tom

--
tomkarches
Old July 22nd 08, 10:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Tyler_N

wow did it really cost that much to ship? I bet it has something to do
with gas prices.

--
Tyler_N

2nd*)---, '30ft Coaster~
')-mostpointlessthread-/--O'
'My latest video!' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_OZvXtRlgY)

vanpaun wrote:
It's all for the ladies....they like the clean shaven look on your uni's
lower parts

UniKid2 wrote:

dakoroman wrote:
analize

lol

'*MYSPACE*' (myspace.com/munirider)
Barnaby flavinhavin McButterfield
Old July 22nd 08, 10:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tomkarches

tomkarches wrote:
Coker charges $65 for two day FedEx shipping. One big box. You are
probably much better off pricewise sending one big box rather than 2
smaller ones...you could use your Coker box....tom

I didn't read all the posts....never mind. I guess rates are based on
distance....makes sense....tom

--
tomkarches
Old July 22nd 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steveyo

tomkarches wrote:
Coker charges $65 for two day FedEx shipping. One big box. You are
probably much better off pricewise sending one big box rather than 2
smaller ones...you could use your Coker box....tom

I actually called Coker about this very thing, since I recently dealt
with them and thought they'd tell me how they did it. They said they
use FEDEX Ground, too, and that they eat a substantial amount of the
shipping cost. As I said, the one big box 42x42x13 would cost $130+
for coast-to-coast.

Old July 22nd 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Rubix

I shipped mine to Washington state from here via UPS, and it was about
$79ish. This was about a year ago, so things may have changed.

--
Rubix

UniDudeDX wrote:
I think some mob member is gonna hear bout this and come and kick you so
hard youl cough up your scrotum sack.

Old July 23rd 08, 12:06 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steveyo

Rubix wrote:
I shipped mine to Washington state from here via UPS, and it was about
$79ish. This was about a year ago, so things may have changed.

The shipping guy I talked to said the rates have gone up recently due to
gas prices.

Shipping a 36er lpounds Unicycling 0 July 22nd 08 09:51 PM
29er vs 36er sxbud138 Unicycling 3 May 6th 08 12:04 AM
geared 36er maxcarriere Unicycling 54 March 9th 07 07:56 AM
Wish: Knobbly 36er mark williamson Unicycling 30 November 16th 06 02:33 AM
36er tyres - which is best? mark williamson Unicycling 32 June 22nd 06 07:13 PM