back issues of `Ride' - Issues 14 and 17

Old November 13th 03, 08:50 AM
David Pascoe

Default back issues of `Ride' - Issues 14 and 17

I'm interested in finding out what Ride magazine had to say about a Trek 5500
(Issue 17) and a Trek 2300 (Issue 14). Their reviews are normally pretty well
written.

Does anyone have back issues they can summarise ?

www.ridemedia.com.au just has the covers.

thanks,
davidp.
--
David Pascoe, , Western Australia
Old November 13th 03, 09:17 AM
hippy

"David Pascoe" wrote in message
I'm interested in finding out what Ride magazine had to say about a Trek

5500
(Issue 17) and a Trek 2300 (Issue 14). Their reviews are normally pretty

well
written.

Does anyone have back issues they can summarise ?

I have 17: Trek 5500: Assume rough quotage:

- Anyone can purchase the same bike as used by US Postal
- Geometry of the frame is fairly standard
- The carbon fibre lends itself to a degree of comfort being
light, stiff, yet compliant.
- There are 7 sizes to choose from.
- Colours include US Postal replica or 'Abyss' (a metallic
dark blue)
- Rivetted derailer hanger is nice touch
- Big clearance between tyre and seat tube despite relatively
short rear end.
- Lots of Bontrager parts except Dura-Ace groupset,
Cane Creek headset and Thompson seatpost.
- Cable guides are one of its downfalls - too far down the
tubing and too easy to scar the paintwork.
- Impressed with the bar/stem combo
- Wheels extremely strong without undue flexing weighing not
much more than 1.5kg for the pair. 20 spoke front, 24 rear.
- Silent braking impressive.
- Nice tyres.
Overall, the bikes rides like a TdF bike should. Rochelle
Gilmore from AIS offered: "the stiffness and lightness is
just better than any other bike". "When I'm climbing and
sprinting, the acceleration feels much greater than other
bikes." "On a trek you don't feel as though you have
anything underneath you".
"Another thing I like is that they make them small enough
for women and you can get a really good position on them"
(hippy: just remember, the AIS team is sponsored by Trek!)
- It's the balance of traditional geometry and components
which complete this tidy package
- One rider remarked that the bike looked very plain and it
was difficult to tell that this was the tour bike. People who
are not grandstanders will see this as a strength. An
educated eye will always be able to spot quality in a bike
like this. Faultless.
Sarah Carrigan (AIS): "the bikes are better than any of
us expected. You get on them and feel comfy and don't
think about the bike again"

hth
hippy

Old November 14th 03, 11:31 AM
David Pascoe

Thanks very much for typing this all in, I appreciate it.

The pricing of the OCLV frames with the rest of the package make them very
attractive. Not being the tallest of riders, I like their comments about small
frames !

davidp.

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 20:17:15 +1100, "hippy" wrote:

[...]

switching back from a touring derailleur to road... Sheldon Brown Techniques 3 July 21st 04 02:52 PM
Wheelbuilding issues Nate Knutson Techniques 13 May 9th 04 03:29 PM
exercises for back Matthew General 6 December 15th 03 08:55 PM
Lower back pains Jiyang Chen General 7 July 28th 03 01:10 PM
Arcata celebrates Skot, Denise Hill is Back Leaves Reno amid fanfare Cycle America/Nat. Bicycle Greenway Recumbent Biking 0 July 26th 03 09:24 PM